Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a dinoflagellate culture :)
This is what I test with

14691464812641770158924.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
team

I see occasionally TM's post up about dinos, and ask if installing an algae scrubber will cure them. the resounding answer is what you'd expect, certainly.

The algae scrubber coaches name X and Y variables, and how that amounts to a cure on down the line.

But I watch dino threads for about 10 yrs and the best we came up with was dumping the peroxide in, and see what happens. we didn't see a decade of scrubbers curing Ostre, at all.

Now you ladies and gents are using Metro...up to what about 70 pages now?

going forward, and likely linked right back here, isn't it true per the people with actual dino threads that an algae scrubber might be the most useless Dino approach on the planet? if not, why ya'll up to 70 pages with a compound med? scrubber=hype, no?

When scrubber coaches paint an easy cure picture if you install X green grid, it makes ya'll look like you are skipping the easiest cure in the world. but in reality, what if no algae scrubber on the planet has fixed a mere 8 dino tanks, in a row, on one single thread? that would mean again scrubbers were grossly oversold.

whats up w that issue

I know scrubbers might cure and prevent every invasion in reefing, but I think we have to call a big false when it comes to dinos, and repeatability, and any sort of logged proof whatsoever.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall that an ATS was ever brought up in this thread as a cure to dinos. For me I suggested it may be worth taking offline while dosing metro. But it looks like metro is mainly a good way to slow them down so you can catch up with cleaning off surfaces and filter that out.

Harvesting algae though in some way which includes but not limited to running an ATS has many benifits.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it was from posts around here and on nano reef.com

Getting a proponent of ATS to clearly define what's repeatable with them is impossible-when asked ATS cures all, always.

I have yet to see an ATS discussion state any limitations, so at least we pointed one out so far. ats isn't for Dino cures until further proven IMO. To get repeatable Dino cures in one thread, not anyone will be using ATS it'll be something far more powerful.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large ATS. It's was overgrown with green algae. Slowly dinos took over, started growing over the green algae and eventually killed it. So for me algae scrubber did not work and i took it offline bc it was only growing dinos towards the end

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it should be noted I'm guilty of doing these assumptions for peroxide but stopped after a few humblings :) am now passing the buck to ATS ers

Each major control method has its pros and cons for sure, and if we all need humbling, nobody can beat a neomeris annulata invasion that leaves everyone making stuff up.

Meanest plant we deal with, IMO.
Am aware there are some tanks where they stay local, but for the real invasions I've seen nothing tougher in reefing, a zero cure rate for true neo invasions. I'm glad the marine algae database lists them as moderately challenging to keep alive, now I doubt the database a lil if not just for that one sentence.

ATS are not for Dino cures on a repeatable basis, and even peroxide is still hit or miss there. What Russ did with peroxide should have nuked them in six seconds, not been a mere semi control. I'm liking metro or dinoxal based on user contributed threads over the long term, then peroxide, then the others (ph/ATS/salinity modulation and others claimed) for strong Dino dealings

Last edited:

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Russ and I are in the same boat. We both tried peroxide, metro, light out and nothing worked. I even started the tank over and dinos returned with a vengeance. I'm loosing faith that my strain can be defeated at all.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top three invaders that if ever ever ever farmed to any degree of wait can result in tank loss (anyone feel free to mod list)

Neo
Dinos depending on strain
Vile valonia.

Each one has examples where controlled areas never invaded.
but when invaded, those are the worst IMO

Last edited:

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you feel better soon Todd--all of the excitement of possible success must've brought on the headaches. Sorry to hear you are suffering and hope you feel better very soon!

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this thread has been exciting to read... I started my Metro 8 days ago and could not be happier to finally be rid of these nasty pests, with zero losses! After 2 1/2 years and trying 3 other remedies with lots of lost Coral, inverts and Fish! Now anticipating Twillards results for the final blow. I will be cleaning up the last of them this weekend and hope to never see Dinos in my tank(s) ever again.

Thanks for all the research on this guys! Awesome job!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry for yesterday. We call this dependency withdrawals unfortunately but the doc is behind me!
Feeling a little better for now so here I am.
OK remember my culture picture up top?
Well here is that same culture with 2 drops of my compound

1469193231844-2020667709.jpg

This camera makes it look brown but it is a murky white.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the cells do with the introduction of my mixture :)

20160722_062100.jpg

They look like a popcorn kernel lol
So I am approaching 48 hours on my tank.
This is where I believe the life of the compound ends.
The slick on the top of the water is gone and skimmer back to full functionality.
I added 1 cup of GAC to clean up any toxins.
Pictures to come of the tank today!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are better today!! My water is ready and so am I! How much longer before you announce! I have stopped everything on the tank so don't want to lose the progress I've made:9) hint hint

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back