Display macro algae tank plumbed into main reef display

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve been working on setting up my 135 and I’m well into the process. I’m running two canister filters on the main 135 reef so I do not have a sump. I want to plumb a 15 gallon column tank into the main display, but I don’t want a HOB overflow or to drill the tank. My idea is to run a pump in line and put the input in the 135 and output in the 15 column. Then drill the 15gallon and run an overflow back into the 135. I want to have a macro algae display in the 15 gallon with a deep sand bed to help remove nitrates and phosphates. My question is basically about the plumbing. Any issues with my idea? Or any better suggestions?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to use an external pump because of noise factors. A DC controllable return pump might be a better option. I'd also advise a gate valve as adjusting the proper flow between two vastly different tanks might be difficult without some ability to fine tune. You will also want to account for some kind of failsafe/emergency drain.

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to use an external pump because of noise factors. A DC controllable return pump might be a better option. I'd also advise a gate valve as adjusting the proper flow between two vastly different tanks might be difficult without some ability to fine tune. You will also want to account for some kind of failsafe/emergency drain.
The gate valve is definitely a great idea that I will be doing. The dc return pump would have to be placed inside my 135 correct?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back