Ditching DI - has anyone gone without

CaliCajun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking for others who may have gone down this route, I'm considering ditching my DI stage and hoping to still achieve zero TDS water. I am currently running the BRS 4 stage with an inline tds meter, I get one TDS post membrane and of course zero post DI. The problem comes from running well water, it is very low TDS going in typically around 80 however the high CO2 blows through resin in around 60 gallons. I am thinking about ditching the DI and doing a dual sediment filter with a smaller micron rating and then finishing up in a carbon block. Has anyone tried this with Success?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking for others who may have gone down this route, I'm considering ditching my DI stage and hoping to still achieve zero TDS water. I am currently running the BRS 4 stage with an inline tds meter, I get one TDS post membrane and of course zero post DI. The problem comes from running well water, it is very low TDS going in typically around 80 however the high CO2 blows through resin in around 60 gallons. I am thinking about ditching the DI and doing a dual sediment filter with a smaller micron rating and then finishing up in a carbon block. Has anyone tried this with Success?
I have about 2tds post membrane and also, because of my well and high CO2, I blow through resin.
I ended up buying cation, anion, and then mixed bed.
After 90 gallons or so, I recharge the anion with lye. Saves me a bundle. I got it down to about 40 minutes of time to recharge. I have not had to touch my mixed bed or cation. It's bed a couple/three years with this system.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You might “blow through di” by color but use a meter. When it outputs any TDS it is time to change it. I too am on a well and I get several thousand gallons before my Di is truly spent. Tested with multiple tds meters.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit of a pain but some folks with high co2 let the water sit after it runs through the prefilters and membrane. That water sits for a day or two with an air stone then the pump it through DI canisters. I have very clean water, starting at ~35 tds and regularly get 1 or 0 post membrane but I still run in thorough 2 mixed bed DI’s. I don’t know what’s in that water and would rather not mess around with it.

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might “blow through di” by color but use a meter. When it outputs any TDS it is time to change it. I too am on a well and I get several thousand gallons before my Di is truly spent. Tested with multiple tds meters.
TDS is verified post DI, I don't go by the color change, both using the inline meter and a secondary handheld unit.

OP
OP
CaliCajun

CaliCajun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a sample of your pre di and send it out for a test to see whats left. With pre di being one you may be just fine the way it is.
No way to tell without a test though.
This may be the way to go, I've used ATI before but never tested my RO

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the color will change before it's spent? I will have to check that out, it never occurred to me. LOL

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be the way to go, I've used ATI before but never tested my RO

I sent two tank samples to ATI for icp. Both included rodi samples since they test that for no extra charge. Both rodi samples were from the same container of RODI but the results came back totally different. I have no idea why. If I ever need an icp again I'll use a different company.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back