diy iron and manganese supplement

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the following. We used the following concentrations (always up to 1000 ml solution:
SrCl2 · 6H2O for Strontium: 24,35 gramm
NiSO4 · 6H2O for Nikkel: 0,45 gramm
MnSO4 · 4H2O for Manganese: 0,43 gramm
ZnSO4 · 7H2O for Zinc: 4,39 gramm

You must know that these amounts require a super accurate lab or grade scale with the minimum accuracy of 0,001 gramms and it is still better if you measure more (like for 10 litre of base solution). In addition all these elements are with water so you must work fast, at a dry place and always perfectly seal the material from humidity.
Also always try to purchase the best available quality elements. Even if you buy the best grade it will be much much cheaper compared to what you can buy in the LFS.

Backside that the elements are really expensive if you purchase puriss or reagent grade (like 500 gr strontium was 120 EUR, 250 gramm nickel was 110 EUR, etc..) and these amounts are enough for an eternety - so better to gather your local guys and split the stuff.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the following. We used the following concentrations (always up to 1000 ml solution:

You must know that these amounts require a super accurate lab or grade scale with the minimum accuracy of 0,001 gramms and it is still better if you measure more (like for 10 litre of base solution). .

If you are measuring 0.43 to 24.35 grams, how could it possibly be important to measure to the nearest 0.001 grams?

IMO, to the nearest 0.01 is more than adequate and to the nearest 0.1 gram is likely adequate.

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 24.35 yes. For 0,43 i disagree. If we use a ,01 for measurement we may end up 0,42 or 0,44. That is 2,5 ppts difference. I only worry about it because we van only measure these via icp test what is costly and most ppl dont do it monthly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 24.35 yes. For 0,43 i disagree. If we use a ,01 for measurement we may end up 0,42 or 0,44. That is 2,5 ppts difference. I only worry about it because we van only measure these via icp test what is costly and most ppl dont do it monthly.

I'm sorry, but this is making no sense to me.

You are going to try to control the manganese level to exactly 170 ug/L (or some such number), and would find it unacceptable to be at 166 ug/L or 174 ug/L (that's what the difference from 0.42 to 0.44 would cause to the final concentration).

Even if you wanted to do that, I don't think you can measure it accurately to that level.

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well giving a second thought you are right, the amounts are too small.

I try to be precise because overdosing these elements are toxic.

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You must know that these amounts require a super accurate lab or grade scale with the minimum accuracy of 0,001 gramms and it is still better if you measure more (like for 10 litre of base solution). In addition all these elements are with water so you must work fast, at a dry place and always perfectly seal the material from humidity.
Also always try to purchase the best available quality elements. Even if you buy the best grade it will be much much cheaper compared to what you can buy in the LFS.

Backside that the elements are really expensive if you purchase puriss or reagent grade (like 500 gr strontium was 120 EUR, 250 gramm nickel was 110 EUR, etc..) and these amounts are enough for an eternety - so better to gather your local guys and split the stuff.
Hi, do you know how to make iodine? Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, do you know how to make iodine? Thank you

I presume you are asking how to make a iodine supplement?

Do you have access to sodium or potassium iodide?

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yes iodine supplement, and I have some potassium iodide, thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium iodide is 77% iodine by weight.

If you target 0.02 ppm to dose, then you will want to add 0.02 mg iodide per liter of aquarium water.

That means dosing 0.025 mg of the KI per liter or 2.5 mg/100 L of aquarium water.

You won't likely be able to weight that small of an amount, so make a stock dosing solution.

Dissolve 1 g KI in 1 L RO/DI. That solution contains 1 mg KI per mL.

So 2.5 mL of that solution added per 100 L of aquarium water will boost iodine by 0.02 ppm. :)

I think you can dose this at least a couple of times a week in a typical tank.

That all said, I'm also not of the opinion that iodine dosing is useful for most reef tanks. :)

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium iodide is 77% iodine by weight.

If you target 0.02 ppm to dose, then you will want to add 0.02 mg iodide per liter of aquarium water.

That means dosing 0.025 mg of the KI per liter or 2.5 mg/100 L of aquarium water.

You won't likely be able to weight that small of an amount, so make a stock dosing solution.

Dissolve 1 g KI in 1 L RO/DI. That solution contains 1 mg KI per mL.

So 2.5 mL of that solution added per 100 L of aquarium water will boost iodine by 0.02 ppm. :)

I think you can dose this at least a couple of times a week in a typical tank.

That all said, I'm also not of the opinion that iodine dosing is useful for most reef tanks. :)
Thank you very much for your help, I will try it

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

let us know what you observe after dosing. :)
I'm already dosing iodine, just LFS is very expensive so I trying to make my own iodine, manganese, zink supplement, I think iodine makes blue corals looking better, and my macro algae growing faster :)

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is someone know where to buy nickel sulphate
NiSO4.6H2O thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is someone know where to buy nickel sulphate
NiSO4.6H2O thank you

Unless you are very into experimentation, I wouldn't boost nickel in a reef tank. Triton can only just barely detect the natural level, so none detected does not prove a big deficiency, and I'm not sure it has a beneficial role in reef tanks anyway. It can be toxic if overdosed.

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, can you help me to calculate zink and manganese supplements please. My tank is 500 ltr and target is 2 µg/l manganese and 4 µg/l zink, I have zink sulphate and manganese sulphate and trying to make 1 ltr solution each, thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the zinc sulfate, dissolve 1 gram of the solid material in 1 L of RO/DI. That solution contains 400 mg of zinc, so the concentration is 400 mg/L or 400 ug/mL.

Adding 1 mL to 400 L of tank water will boost aquarium zinc levels by 400 ug per 100 L or 4 ug/L.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back