DIY LED Driver

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That design wastes alot of energy, defeating the purpose of LED's. You should look up data sheets for LED drivers. Here are some of my favorites:

Maxim 16819/16820

National Semi LM3409, LM3406, LM3414

If you have multiple led channels you can use seperate drivers for each, or you can use one larger chip like the LM3464 to control 4 channels.

Last edited:

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what you are trying to power fixture-wise. As much as I like to build stuff I feel a DIY driver is not good time or money invested. There is zero doubt you can buy a Meanwell or the like for the same cost and zero effort. However, if you really really want to build one I highly recommend reading through this thread where you can get designs and sources for boards, driver, and other components. Not worth the time and effort IMO but cool if you are the ultimate tinkerer. Couple of these guys are quite the electronic guru's. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759758

bimmerzs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what you are trying to power fixture-wise. As much as I like to build stuff I feel a DIY driver is not good time or money invested. There is zero doubt you can buy a Meanwell or the like for the same cost and zero effort. However, if you really really want to build one I highly recommend reading through this thread where you can get designs and sources for boards, driver, and other components. Not worth the time and effort IMO but cool if you are the ultimate tinkerer. Couple of these guys are quite the electronic guru's. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759758

+1 I totally agree with this viewpoint.:bigsmile:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back