Diy led project

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question of my project.... CONTROLLERS :).

I plan to use Coralux Storm to control the lights. Is this good enough? Are there better options on same price range? I need only 3 channels.

It's the only one I know of in that price range that is capable of a 0-10v analog output and I think it is still too expensive and complicated for what I need as well. It seems to be based on a more reasonably price diy piece called a dm4 but that seems to no longer be available. It's frustrating and I may look into arduino also.

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally back from winter holiday and I think is time to post the status of my project...
First change is the led board... right after order them I decided to modify things a bit, lucky me I was able to change the order. Basically I split the LEDs on 6 channels
thanks to some suggestions I received from nice forum members and added a bit more power (around 160W now).
I expect the boards next week.
Channel 1 - up to 5 Luxeon UV LEDs- can choose any wavelenghts with steps of 5nm.
Channel 2 - 9x Deep Blue Osram Signal or SSL
Channel 3 - 9 LEDs - but this time a mix of Deep Blue and Converted Blue LEDs (new leds with an interesting spectra - visually are like regular blue, but have a large emission in deep blue range)
Channel 4 - 6 LEDs - 4 Osram Blue and 2 Osram cyan (they call them verde)
Channel 5 - 9 LEDs - cold white channel, but is a mixt of neutral white with high CRI and converted blue leds (really nice result, as I tested already)
Channel 6 - 9 LEDs - warm white channel - with probably 1 deep red led. For whites I will use 3500-4000K range with top CRI selection (95), for a great color rendering effect

board11_zps2857e62d.jpg

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step about fixture itself...

I design things and order parts for a 2x400mm fixtures, but after cutting things I had some left overs, so I will do a short light too :)

Fixtures itself are 40x14.5 cm and 2x led engines ( 320W ) long one and 20 x 14.5 cm and 1x led engine ( 160 W )short one.
Everything is black, of course, but top and side covers can be customized in any imaginable way as are 3D printed and painted. Sides are anodized aluminium profiles

All parts and components used are top quality most made in western Europe.

Cooling story... actually everyting is build around the cooling system. For such high power and also to keep everything light and small was a bit of challenge.
I use two heatsinks on large version and one on small one, pure copper with ultra high density fins and vapor chamber techology.

I have already the fans in tests... 92x14mm ultra silent (13db) with 150 000 working hours (actually 50% more than leds) and 6 years warranty. Fans are mounted
with thermal switch, so will be on at 50°C on board and off at 35°C.

For the long version, fan is integrated into system, for short one (not in the picture) but is mounted on top. Anyway, being so narrow is quite nice looking.
For the air intake I opted of a Y shaped flow with tulburence generators components.

400mm_zps6a71f816.jpg

200mm_zpsfd433f00.jpg

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the design of the top side is not really finalized from aesthetic point, but I will work it out in next days... suggestions? :smile:

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leds and channels are explained above... Or I didn't understand you question well... :usa2: I am not native English speaker

mark sid tottle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Dacianb,
Thanks for letting me add this spectrum image. I hope you able to do some thing with it.
DSC_0239.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0239.jpg
    DSC_0239.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What options are you looking at as fare as optics? Like the looks so far :)

The leds and channels are explained above... Or I didn't understand you question well... :usa2: I am not native English speaker

Will you be sticking with your LED's native lenses or will you be using supplemental lenses? (E.g. To customize mounting height and light spill, etc)

-Matt

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no space inside light for secondary optics and I dont like at all the hotspots given by them. This is the main reason of high power I used on a small board - uniform and nice light.
On the other hand, on same footprints I can install 150°, 120°, 90° or 80° leds. Osram offer this opportunity.

But I will opt in this system for 120° on all leds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back