DIY Screen Net Tops: Tips, Tricks, and Pics!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built 1 for each tank and found when cutting braces to length put rubber strip in first then cut. Also instead of eggcrate or mesh over opening in back (because of plumbing, lighting, etc) I bought black rubber baseboard molding and trimmed to fit. Molding at Home Depot was $3 for a 4ft section.
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5749.JPG

jalmanza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for ideas on how to accommodate a curved front in my 72 gallon bowfront tank. Ideas welcome. [emoji4]

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggcrate for rear section, will cutdown when I build my mesh top to prob cover rear 4” vs 9” in pic. waiting on clear mesh to come in. I do like that above with black molding though darn! Future project! [emoji6]

be1497ccf1ec41487e355b176f2e88e3.jpg

Arnout96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your edge netting is the exact FishGuard product from Bananaquarium, but it isn't available to buy yet on their website. Perhaps you are involved with the company or testing it. Is there a way to get one early? Or is there an update on when it will be available? I've read most jumps happen along the edge of the tank, so I've been looking for such a solution as a balanced compromise.

The Fishguard is now available world wide as I am not mistaken. Please send a message through their website if your local aquarium store does not have it in stock yet, they will make sure the Fishguard is available near you as well!

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fishguard is now available world wide as I am not mistaken. Please send a message through their website if your local aquarium store does not have it in stock yet, they will make sure the Fishguard is available near you as well!
Unfortunately they don’t sell a version that will fit thicker glass like my Red Sea Reefer 750. I’ll check back in periodically to see if they will in the future.

c-horse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this video and now I would like to see a comparison between black netting vs clear and white netting. I find the white and clear netting reflects too much lights making it hard to photograph from the top without glare. Black netting absorbs light so there is no reflection.

How did your DIY screen net top turn out? Post some pics - we want to see!

Also, we're looking for tips and tricks to help other reefers make the project easier or better, or even improve the end result.

Our tip: use a hair dryer to heat the netting and shrink up any slack, just be careful not to melt it ;)

(You can find our DIY kits here)

c-horse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research on what is possible, here is what I found that may be of use. There are flanged screen corners that could be used to serve as the screen holder. These corners come with lips similar to the nuvo screen top on their int line of aquariums.

Also black pond netting or fruit netting can be used.

Last edited:

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research on what is possible, here is what I found that may be of use. There are flanged screen corners that could be used to serve as the screen holder. These corners come with lips similar to the nuvo screen top on their int line of aquariums.Also black pond netting or fruit netting can be used.

This would be a pretty interesting test. I'll add it to the list of potential videos, but not entirely sure when/if we'll be able to revisit it. Hopefully someone has some PAR meters and different style nettings that would like to try this one at home. :)

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5531.JPG
IMG_5532.JPG
I had trouble keeping the frame from bowing when I got the mesh tight enough to prevent sagging. It took a couple tries but I finally achieved a nice result by adding a center brace. Also designed and 3D printed some supports to hold the frame flush.

Where did you find the center brace?

jdog1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the brace on the screen lid to help keep it rigid. Thanks!
That is what I was talking about. That is the brace on screen lid to keep it Rigid, The Center Brace. The smaller tanks do not come with that brace, the larger tanks do, if you want to support it more you need to purchase the extra piece of Metal if yours did not come with it, it is sold online.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the BRS kit and installed this 2 weeks ago. Super easy and the tank looks so much better. You could visibly see the difference right away from our glass lid. we tried going with no lid, loved the look, but one of our clowns jumped. Luckily it landed in the overflow. So this gives us the best of both worlds. Great light penetration and no jumpers.
Screenshot_20170217-211921~2.jpg
How were you able to get it nice and smooth? I've seen a lot of net tops with hills and valleys in them!

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for ideas on how to accommodate a curved front in my 72 gallon bowfront tank. Ideas welcome. [emoji4]
Couldn’t you cut a custom frame from acrylic like the one posted earlier in the thread? That’s the only way I think you could match the arch of the bow front.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back