Do bubblers drop pH?

Leonard1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 160 gallon tank and my alkalinity or pH is 13.3, I've done a 40 gallon water change and it's still high. Another reefer from a store I go to says to use a bubbler and that will help out a lot and drop it quick, I want to know if that is true? Anything to help me out would be great.

Thank you reefers

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 160 gallon tank and my alkalinity or pH is 13.3, I've done a 40 gallon water change and it's still high. Another reefer from a store I go to says to use a bubbler and that will help out a lot and drop it quick, I want to know if that is true? Anything to help me out would be great.

Thank you reefers
I think you are mixing up alkalinity and pH.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and my alkalinity or pH is 13.3
Which is it? These are not the same thing. If you're getting a reading of 13.3 for pH, that's definitely a testing error. (And better gas exchange will generally raise pH, not lower it.) Alk of 13.3 is on the high side... What is in the tank (what livestock/coral)? How long has it been set up? What salt do you use? Was the alk lower before?

OP
OP
Leonard1990

Leonard1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is it? These are not the same thing. If you're getting a reading of 13.3 for pH, that's definitely a testing error. (And better gas exchange will generally raise pH, not lower it.) Alk of 13.3 is on the high side... What is in the tank (what livestock/coral)? How long has it been set up? What salt do you use? Was the alk lower before?
Alkalinity is 13.3 in my mix reef tank. Salt I'm using is Red Sea blue salt. Tank has been set up for 2.5 years.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reef salt is notirous for having very high alk in it.
This is why i have stopped using it.
The coral pro salt would litterally turn all my mixing power heads white from calcium due to excessive alk, and how high alk causes calcium to precipitate.

If your corals are doing good, id say leave it be.
If they are not growing, i would start with small weekly water changes with a different salt to see if you can lower alk that way.

OP
OP
Leonard1990

Leonard1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reef salt is notirous for having very high alk in it.
This is why i have stopped using it.
The coral pro salt would litterally turn all my mixing power heads white from calcium due to excessive alk, and how high alk causes calcium to precipitate.

If your corals are doing good, id say leave it be.
If they are not growing, i would start with small weekly water changes with a different salt to see if you can lower alk that way.
I'm using the Red Sea blue bucket with the alkalinity 7-8, all my corals are doing good no issues at all

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always try and match your salt to what you want in your reef it makes it a lot easier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back