Do I need to use I lid on a Clownfish tank?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first time with a saltwater tank and I was planing on starting with a clownfish tank. I've had a freshwater tank with goldfish for a while, and always had no lid on the tank, because it seemed to me Rabat gold fish can't jump. But now I just realized that clownfish can jump, and now I'm worried that some day I might come home and find my fish on the floor,

So what should I do? My 20 gallon tank that will host the clownfish doesn't have a lid and has a bunch of eipament that makes using a Lind kind of difficult. Any suggestion?

IMG_7737.JPG

Thanks,

Hugo Garcia

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if a fish is not known to jump, it's just good practice to have a lid on a nano aquarium in my experience. You want it to fit tightly too, my engineer goby jumped out of my tank through a 1/4" hole in the corner of my lid bracket where a power head cord used to go. I would say something like egg crate or polycarbonate/acrylic is your best bet in this scenario, since you have to fit around your filters. Just make sure there is enough air exchange area if you go with the polycarbonate or acrylic by cutting out some squares in the middle and replacing them with glued in mesh.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to the chorus, the most heartbreaking fish I lost due to jumping was a clown and I added the lid right after. Sad because I also love the not covered look.

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to the chorus, the most heartbreaking fish I lost due to jumping was a clown and I added the lid right after. Sad because I also love the not covered look.
And what kind of kid did you use?

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of options really. With your 20 gallon (if you find yourself to be a little handy) you can buy a DIY screen kit from a home good store and simply set it over the tank. I bought some black bird netting which still had small enough wholes for the actual screen part of it because I prefer black netting over the more reflective white/clear. There are several more pricey custom builders of tops like artfully acrylic, but I'd maybe do that if you end up upgrading to a larger tank in the future as they're quite the investment

(Here's my frag tank)
IMG_20170815_124900.jpg

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share my recent experience - had a 90g that I recently consolidated into a 40 breeder. I had made mesh covers (like above) for the 90 but rarely used them, and only had one fish jump in 3 years. Well with the 40, I've lost 3 fish in a month - clown, firefish and six line. My take is, the shallower the tank, the more prone you are to losing a fish by jumping. Between the 3 that jumped and 2 chromis, they frequently chased each other - nothing too serious, but I'm assuming they chased each other right out of the tank. I'll be putting a mesh cover on the 40 - as much as I hate how they look.

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lots of fish commit suicide but never one of my clowns.

For what that's worth.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank cover will keep you from burying your fish;) Don't tempt Murphy's Law:)

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god, but how can I fit a HOB filter and a lid?

IMG_7765.JPG

No lid can cover this
You know how on freshwater tanks, they have a rubber strip on the back end, so that you can cut as you need to for equipment? Well find a way to have your own, workable, malleable rubber strip.
When my gf and I had a 29 gallon, she actually put slips of cardboard or heavy stock paper clipped to the rim of the tank. I do not recommend that. Maybe needle point canvas (the kind people use for ATSes)?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually lost both of my clowns due to jumping...one after I installed a lid (which had a small 1" gap in the back). Definitely use a lid if possible.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is 100%
I have always used a mesh lid, Bulk Reef Supply mesh and HD screen frame, and have had fish jump out when I do maintenance.
Other times the lid was on and they jump in the over flow and die or get lost. I cover my overflow now with egg crate and still do even though I found onetime one of my clown fish LED fried on the egg crate.
Me personally, if I was running your system I would use nothing. The clown that got baked was a freak accident. Sometimes "things happen" no matter what you do. I would risk it and enjoy the open look. If you really want something I would say egg crate you can cut it to fit easy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is 100%
I have always used a mesh lid, Bulk Reef Supply mesh and HD screen frame, and have had fish jump out when I do maintenance.
Other times the lid was on and they jump in the over flow and die or get lost. I cover my overflow now with egg crate and still do even though I found onetime one of my clown fish LED fried on the egg crate.
Me personally, if I was running your system I would use nothing. The clown that got baked was a freak accident. Sometimes "things happen" no matter what you do. I would risk it and enjoy the open look. If you really want something I would say egg crate you can cut it to fit easy.
Eggcrate is pretty wide, so affords more opportunity for fish to get through.

Vigilence and regularly observing your tank will cut down on jumpers during maintenance. The op doesn't have an overflow.

While fish can be remarkably resourceful in jumping out of a mostly covered tank, their odds of staying in the tank and not carpet surfing a greatly improved by having a top.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 116 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 127 47.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.0%
Back