Does 5 hours a day of light really increase growth?

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys for not posting like I said I would. Turned out I was alot more bussy then I thought! I don't know when I can update this thread.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting equipment together to test some very successful LFS coral tanks. I'll take a look with a spectrometer and PAR data logger, and calculate the Daily Light Integrals (DLIs). I'll post in a new thread - not trying to hijack this one, just a convenient place to say.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting equipment together to test some very successful LFS coral tanks. I'll take a look with a spectrometer and PAR data logger, and calculate the Daily Light Integrals (DLIs). I'll post in a new thread - not trying to hijack this one, just a convenient place to say.
I'm excited to see your results!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see your results!
I'll go there tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and place the PAR data logger on a tank for 24 hors (all tanks use Radions programmed in the same manner.) I'll also take some spectral measurements with an Ocean Optic spectrometer and estimate Photosynthetically Usable Radiation (PUR) with a Seneye device. Always some holdups when trying to get all these devices working flawlessly (batteries, transfer cables, calibration, so on.)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go there tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and place the PAR data logger on a tank for 24 hors (all tanks use Radions programmed in the same manner.) I'll also take some spectral measurements with an Ocean Optic spectrometer and estimate Photosynthetically Usable Radiation (PUR) with a Seneye device. Always some holdups when trying to get all these devices working flawlessly (batteries, transfer cables, calibration, so on.)
Can you give us a rough idea of their lighting schedule? Do they do more than one DLI every 24 hours?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to confirm, but this is what I *think* I know. Radions on a 12-hour photoperiod, with 4 hours of full spectrum light (before the store opens) and 8 hours of violet/blue light while the store is open in order to showcase coral fluorescence (to boost sales.) Coral growth has been described to me as 'explosive'.
Can you give us a rough idea of their lighting schedule? Do they do more than one DLI every 24 hours?

Abdullah Al Faruq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Watching;Watching;Watching

;Shifty

;Peeking

;Shifty

;Peeking

;Shifty

Where is everyone ???

;Panda

;Panda

;Panda

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is recommended that you have a 5-6hr blackout to allow coral to feed, snails, etc to perform their housekeeping and pods to feed coral,etc

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll have to confirm, but this is what I *think* I know. Radions on a 12-hour photoperiod, with 4 hours of full spectrum light (before the store opens) and 8 hours of violet/blue light while the store is open in order to showcase coral fluorescence (to boost sales.) Coral growth has been described to me as 'explosive'.
Exactly What I was Getting at.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the PPFD data from the really good LFS. DLI is 5.6.
1565353130124.png

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for measuring and posting that.

I am surprised at first glance by the low peak PAR, and the even lower PAR during store hours. 140 PAR of blue/violet looks pretty dim to my eyes! And I thought it was generally accepted that 200-250 PAR was needed to saturate photosynthesis in most SPS, 180 peak is lower than I would have expected.

But thats why measurements are important, my gut is often wrong... and your measurements match my observations that successful LFS in my area run their corals on what appear to be fairly dim blues...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for measuring and posting that.

I am surprised at first glance by the low peak PAR, and the even lower PAR during store hours. 140 PAR of blue/violet looks pretty dim to my eyes! And I thought it was generally accepted that 200-250 PAR was needed to saturate photosynthesis in most SPS, 180 peak is lower than I would have expected.

But thats why measurements are important, my gut is often wrong... and your measurements match my observations that successful LFS in my area run their corals on what appear to be fairly dim blues...
I just bought a coral today from that LFS. I take my PAR meter to the shop, measure what light intensity that coral is getting and match it in my tank (it was a PPFD of 150.) I can't mention the name, but one coral farm is growing corals at a PAR vale of <100.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was this test done on any high end SPS and color was still great at lower PAR?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was this test done on any high end SPS and color was still great at lower PAR?
There were Styloporas, Acroporas, Cyphastreas, Montiporas etc. in this tank. I'll take a pic of the coral I bought and post later. What I like about this store is sells high-end corals at prices a retiree (me) can afford!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the photo of a Cyphastrea I got today. PPFD during the day is 150 and about 15% higher for 4 hours in the morning. Bear in mind most of corals in these tanks possess fluorescent proteins - I suspect the non-fluorescent proteins would require more light.

Cyphastraea.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back