Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

• Total voters

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you stay on top of your water changes, your adding the depleted elements (cal, Alk, mag, iodine, stront etc ) back into your water column.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank ? How often you do water changes and how much water you change ? Also that's not a lot of Sps so your cal alk demand is low

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advancements in the reefing world 10 years ago I would have said yes, however now you can buy a tank that is all in one, like a Red Sea Max place some sps in there and they take off...

From this i can conclude that because of plug and play systems now anybody without any experience and knowledge can maintain a tank full of sps corals?

If that's the message i think many people will be very disappointed when getting into the hobby with that state of mind and no further preparation.

A good setup account for a good part of the succes, but if you stay long enough into this hobby it's not if you will encounter problems, but rather when. Most people bail out when they encounter such problem they can't solve. I have seen i happening continiously and these failure gives the hobby a bad name.
Terms like "only for the elite, nerds, freaks", impossible, very difficult, are frequently being used by people and their aquaintances who failed to maintain their tank and inhabitants.
It becomes difficult or impossible due to lack of knowledge. When you know more it becomes routine to apply that knowledge.

In holland many lfs realise this and are now trying to finds ways that educate their customers to become succesfull.
People who are succesfull stay longer active and become ambassadors for the hobby. This make the hobby grows and if the hobby grows the turnover grows. So it's a gain for all partys involved.

Last edited:

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 130 lol 34 gallon I did not name all of my corals, I left out 6 acros, my monti caps, my digis, porites, pavona, and 2 other birds.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I see why you say what you say about water changes you have a small setup but still that may change because as your corals grow so those there demand so I hope that your water changes can keep up.
Keep up those water changes.

Last edited:

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! :) I will post shots in a little bit after my lights come on, I wanted to do updated shots today for comparison anyway. As for time frame it has been 3 months.

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find pics from a month ago in the meet and greet forum page 7, Drum Roll please... Yes, I got out of it for a little bit, served two tours over seas, remarried, and got back into it around Feb of this year, it wasn't until August I started with SPS and when I got my Red Sea and realized how easy it was to keep SPS, it was then that I was bit by the bug lol.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone who says keeping sps is so easy I wanna see pics
: )

I had decent success with sps in my first tank but I'm struggling with sps in my yr old 220 I'm friendly with 2 guys locally who keep 2 sps tanks worthy of totm on here and both tell me all the time sps r a pain in the .......

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no just because i am keeping SPS and i am no where near advanced... It amazes me when i meet a real stick head and the wealth of knowledge they possess, and looking at their systems it shows! but they have been doing this for over 20 years and still dont consider themselves advanced, so what does that make me :fish:

LOL.

You sound just like me.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have birds of paradise, red planet, pearlberry, stylos, pocillos. No reactors, no chems, just food and water changes.

And People say SPS is hard.

LOL.

I too am very very basic and SPS do great for me too.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find pics from a month ago in the meet and greet forum page 7, Drum Roll please... Yes, I got out of it for a little bit, served two tours over seas, remarried, and got back into it around Feb of this year, it wasn't until August I started with SPS and when I got my Red Sea and realized how easy it was to keep SPS, it was then that I was bit by the bug lol.

I like that answer. But since the setup is new I would not go around saying Sps is easy to care for so soon. Wait till they really start to take off.

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, ask and you shall receive lol, here are some pics.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 139
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 166
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 174

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 166
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 164

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back