Don't be offended if...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes get worried about how new Reef2Reef members might respond to the way we often post answers to questions, and I want to make sure folks understand where we are coming from. The discussion below is chemistry-based, but applies similarly well to many other parts of the hobby and Reef2Reef.

So please don't be offended if

1. We seem to immediately assume your problem is test error. We do not do this lightly, but in some cases we have seen this movie before, often dozens or hundreds of times before. A bad test result does not mean you are incompetent or even made any sort of apparent mistake. But test errors are super common, and are far more common than freakish chemistry results. High pH in the absence of high pH alkalinity additives is a good example. It is almost always test error. I could go on and on about different types of test errors, but will save you the pain. Don't assume we are impuning your abilities as a reefer.

2. We do not immediately answer your question, but follow up with an extensive discussion that may seem to imply that the person asking the question does not know what they are doing. That is not the intent, but a simple answer is not always appropriate. "I have a bad batch of salt, with 1240 ppm of magnesium. Should I return it?". Instead of answering yes or no, we may well delve into the magnesium measurement (the kit type, how you used it, how you read the syringe, etc.), the salinity value in that new salt water and how it was measured, how that new salt water was made (brand, tap water or no, mixing method, whether you mixed up a whole bucket or just a small fraction), etc. All of those things might be needed to answer that simple yes or no question.

3. We seem to largely disregard the answer you helpfully suggest to your own issue that you got from somewhere else (random reefer friend, lfs, another reef site, manufacturer web site, etc.). Again, we have seen some of these claims many times and some are not worth the time of day. Some may be debatable or are being taken out of the original context or were misunderstood, and some are simply wrong. Example: "what should I dose to increase purple colors in my corals?" A good answer might be "There is no such thing" or 'It is very complicated, let's discuss..." while an answer we might simply disregard is "the concoction sold by the lfs to boost purple colors by dosing 37 critical elements, lipids, carbohydrates, and vitamins".

4. We refuse to accept the mantra that the proof is in the pudding. This item comes up a lot, and many reefers misunderstand it. A single reef tank is proof that if every single thing in the way of husbandry done to it is repeated on a second, otherwise identical tank, then that second tank is likely to look similarly nice to the original. But that first tank is not in any way evidence that ANY SINGLE act of husbandry on the first tank is needed or useful, and may even be detrimental. You might accept it as evidence of import if I said the owner doses rubidium, but probably would not if I said the owner does a dance with a voodoo doll of her ex-husband every night when she doses calcium. Why accept one and not the other? Science starts with these sorts of anecdotes and tries to test them (e.g., stop the dance and the dosing of rubidium, and see if anything changes). Without testing, it's not evidence of anything except that it can be done in at least one tank, and still have a good tank.

5. We refuse to accept manufacturer assertions, and sometimes will not use them by themselves to provide answers (and especially not to prove a more careful analysis wrong). If a manufacturer claims a product contains 50,000 ppm calcium, we would not generally challenge it without some sort of testing or rationale for it being wrong. But more esoteric claims might be able to be immediately rejected by folks with an understanding of the claim. For example, a Poly-Filter turning red in the presence of aluminum when there is no known situation in the entire universe of chemistry where aluminum provides a red color. There are a surprisingly large number of claims that are wrong, or are presented in a way that leaves a reader interpreting them in an incorrect way (e.g., a product that correctly does 22 things in fresh water, only 5 of them in seawater, but simply says it "works" in both).

6. We may be harsh when pointing out problems in your assumptions. Be open and willing to accept new info, even if it is something you feel deep down is wrong. Fight for all you are worth if you believe you are right, but accept it when clear evidence suggests otherwise. This topic is hard for most of us. None of us like to be wrong, but things we learned from fresh water tanks we had in the past (nitrite toxicity) or from a trusted LFS that has "has never" led us wrong, or from some random web site that purports to have authoritative info when in reality it is just collected from other dubious sources, or even from a true expert that got something wrong, may not be correct after all. These all happen and we just need to move on, and accept that truth, whatever it is. Even if that truth is "we do not know". The way info spreads around the internet reminds me of something I read in a seismology textbook decades ago. It had to do with the difficulty of knowing what time an earthquake occurred back in the early 1800's. In some town in the western US, there was a big earthquake. The time of day was reported by multiple people, but was it right? Apparently, the army fort would fire a cannon every day at 5:00 pm, and many folks set their watches to it. But when the soldier in charge of the cannon was asked how he knew it was exactly 5, he said he set his watch by the clocks in the town jeweler. When the jeweler was asked, he said he set them all to 5 pm based on the cannon firing. I think that is a good analogy of how bad info spreads around the internet, perhaps getting modified a bit each time, getting worse and worse with each rewriting.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree with this statement, slightly:

"But test errors are super common, and are far more common than freakish chemistry results."

Aren't our common test errors and freakish results actually more like a one to one correlation?

I look to the experts like yourself on the site to spot these trends and try to encourage our understanding of these things. Thanks for all the wise help you provide us.

Just my casual observation.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree with this statement, slightly:

"But test errors are super common, and are far more common than freakish chemistry results."

Aren't our common test errors and freakish results actually more like a one to one correlation?

I look to the experts like yourself on the site to spot these trends and try to encourage our understanding of these things. Thanks for all the wise help you provide us.

Just my casual observation.

Sorry, by freakish result I meant a real result that is very improbable.

For example, an alk rise from 8 to 23 dKH in 2h without the aquarist dosing anything sounds like test error, but could be real if a misbehaving teenager secretly dumps some chemicals in the tank to get even for a grounding punishment.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a funny (to me) spelling error in #6. Might want to proofread that one again.

I’m a Reef Jerk. I get frustrated sometimes and I speak my mind wIthout the proper filtration, just like the “hobbyists” I dislike especially who have obviously done so little homework that their questions reveal the probable grim future for fish, coral, invertebrates or whatever living creatures they put into in their tanks.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a funny (to me) spelling error in #6. Might want to proofread that one again.

I’m a Reef Jerk. I get frustrated sometimes and I speak my mind wIthout the proper filtration, just like the “hobbyists” I dislike especially who have obviously done so little homework that their questions reveal the probable grim future for fish, coral, invertebrates or whatever living creatures they put into in their tanks.

Thx. I think I fixed it earlier. Is it still there?

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a forum member, I believe I reflect the sentiments of many when expressing our appreciation for the invaluable guidance offered by the staff. My own understanding of HLLD was challenged by Jay, who, through a study, refuted the notions formed from my personal experiences regarding stray current contributing to this condition. While I'll continue to use a grounding probe, it will no longer be with the intention of preventing HLLD, a shift in perspective I owe to Jay's insights.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any passions we have in life are most often driven by a high level of interest in the subject matter along with the thirst to learn more. That group of people sits somewhere between the high-level, formally trained scientists we have here on R2R and those looking to sell a $5000.00 Red Sea system for $1500 because they thought reefing was a "set it and forget it" hobby.

For me, reefing is just such a passion.

I often have questions which I am reluctant to post, simply because I have been made to feel embarrassed by some of my posts. There's nothing worse than looking to raise your understanding on a subject, ask a question and then have someone respond with:

"Well, if you don't understand, I'm not going to dumb it down for you".

More likely is that this particular individual was just cutting and pasting information into a reply.

But I do appreciate @Randy Holmes-Farley offering a glimpse of what it is like to walk in the shoes of a formally trained scientist when participating here.

Dom

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any passions we have in life are most often driven by a high level of interest in the subject matter along with the thirst to learn more. That group of people sits somewhere between the high-level, formally trained scientists we have here on R2R and those looking to sell a $5000.00 Red Sea system for $1500 because they thought reefing was a "set it and forget it" hobby.

For me, reefing is just such a passion.

I often have questions which I am reluctant to post, simply because I have been made to feel embarrassed by some of my posts. There's nothing worse than looking to raise your understanding on a subject, ask a question and then have someone respond with:

More likely is that this particular individual was just cutting and pasting information into a reply.

But I do appreciate @Randy Holmes-Farley offering a glimpse of what it is like to walk in the shoes of a formally trained scientist when participating here.

Dom
Often times the person not wanting to explain things in a way you can understand isn’t actually trying to help you. They are trying to look smart so others will place them on a pedestal. Truly helping others requires selflessness that not everyone has the ability or willingness to do. Luckily there are those like Randy that can though.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when I get asked a question (not nec here on the forum) the person gets disappointed if I don't agree with them whole-heartedly (at least that's my take). I'll never understand this reaction to asking someone a question about something. If you want to state something, state it, don't disguise it as a question. Then I wonder maybe it's because there's so much info at our fingertips that people just want confirmation that what they've 'looked up' is right and if you don't agree, it's a sort of ego check that they didn't do good enough 'research'. Idk. It makes conversations (about specific topics) tricky sometimes. Then again, conversations that are just 'yeah' from one side don't do much for me either. Give me some feedback. Obviously not everyone is the same

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've found that those who respond this way are typically one of two things:

1) Wrong and don't want to admit it.
2) Don't understand what they're talking about well enough to explain it in laymen's terms. Which probably means your "cut & paste" theory is correct.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, that was one of the hardest parts for me when I first joined the forum - I knew almost nothing about aquariums at all, let alone saltwater aquariums, so I asked a few questions and got a lot of "that's a dumb question," sort of responses. It made me consider leaving the forum for a bit, but the few, real answers I got not only tried to answer my question at face value, but also helped me figure out what questions I needed to be asking to learn what I was really trying to figure out.

It can still be embarrassing to ask as a result of all of those negative responses, but I've found asking those "dumb" questions is still worth it because I usually take a lot away from the few real answers I get.
I've found that those who respond this way are typically one of two things:

1) Wrong and don't want to admit it.
2) Don't understand what they're talking about well enough to explain it in laymen's terms. Which probably means your "cut & paste" theory is correct.
A lack of understanding of the topic was definitely the case with a few of the replies I got on some of my early questions (they were some pretty niche topics though).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to be very careful around questions that may have far more complexity than the reefer asking and some answering assume or read earlier elsewhere. I expect that annoys some folks who want simple answers. I hope more people than not at least want to know the answer is complicated, even if the details do not interest them, but I know that not all do. I admit that I also give simple recommendations in many cases where I think that answer will be correct for most people, even if a different answer may actually be better in some scenarios.

For example, a super common topic is what levels of nitrate and phosphate are suitable and/or best. There are threads about this almost every day. I don't want to make this thread about a particular chemistry topic, but it exemplifies a case where there is a lot of conflicting info around, even from experts that keep great tanks and are very well versed in the complexity of the issue. The fact that experts may disagree and provide evidence that disagrees can lead some folks to falsely assume anything is OK, when in reality, it may be the unspoken parts of the question are what matters most.

There are dozens of tables of optimal parameters floating around, including from me, and while I understand that folks want a simple table, I'm convinced that such tables may sometimes do a disservice because the optimal values may relate strongly not only to what is in the tank (which most reefers accept) but also what else is happening in the tank (which I'm not sure most reefers do generally think about, and usually is not part of the question or the answers provided).

In the nutrient case, for example, there are different definitions of what the question is really asking about:

1. Coral Color
2. Coral growth rate
3. Coral health (resistance to disease, RTN, STN, etc.)
4. Prevention of pests (algae, cyano, dinos, diatoms, etc.)

All organisms must get N and P from somewhere. But it can be a mistake to assume that any given organism gets most or all of it from nitrate and phosphate, since there are many other sources:

1. Orthophosphate, nitrate
2. Ammonia
3. Various other dissolved inorganic phosphate forms (essentially two or more phosphates chained together
4. Dissolved organic compounds providing N and P
5. Particulate organic materials (such as whole phyto or bacteria) providing N and P

Since the amount of ALL of those will vary from tank to tank, it may be oversimplified to focus only on the easy to measure sources (nitrate and phosphate):

When jda says his reef tank does best with very low nitrate (0.1 ppm) and phosphate (1-3 ppb) , it may well be due to his heavy in heavy out philosophy which boosts all of 2-5, and that same answer may not apply to different feeding plans or husbandry aspects.

When Hans-Werner Balling says to keep phosphate at 0.1 ppm and nitrate and other nitrogen compounds as low as possible, his intent to to defeat algae while allowing corals to grow.

When Thales keeps his reef tank at up to 100 ppm nitrate and 1 ppm phosphate, he has observed little difference in the visual observation of his reef aquarium when he has changed levels to lower values.

So what nitrate and phosphate values are best?

No one will be happy with a non-answer. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back