OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would measure every day but make changes every 3-4 days on your timers/dosers. This gives you "room" to adjust for testing errors/inconsistencies.

I wanted to figure out usage and set up the pumps to dose close to those amounts and slowly adjust up down depending from there.

I've been testing every day and will continue to until I'm confident that I will be as consistent as possible.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mild adjustments made no closer than 2-3 days between. I'm talking 10-20mL additions/subtractions roughly 4 days apart. It will take a month or so to dial it in but you'll get it. If you're doing water changes often I'd try to match the params of your makeup water.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt I use is right inside the range I'm aiming for.

I'm aiming for alkalinity to be from 8.4-9 and calcium to be around 430-460. The fresh salt mix averages 8.4-8.6 Alkalinity and 420-445 calcium.

Slow changes are best. I will probably set the dosers to the low side of my desired range and slowly work it toward the middle of that range. (8.6, 435)

Last edited:

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I'm going through the same battle as you. I had gone through this about 7 months ago and had it tuned in but then went stick crazy at the swap and now my params are all over the place. Trying to dial it in as well. Just remember, mild... Not wild for changes.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm even more lost now.

My alkalinity went down from 9 to 7.6 but my calcium went up from 435 to 470. The dosers were off only thing dosed was some Kalk in my top off, lost about 2.5 gallons I'm adding 1/8 tablespoon per gallon of water.

And according to the BRS calculator I would need 128.5mL of alkalinity to get my alkalinity from 7.6 to 8.6 which comes to about 117 minutes or 9:45 twelve times a day.

Does this all seem right?

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit using kalkwasser in my top off and parameters have been much more stable. Getting closer to having it nailed down.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had better luck maintaining parameters with 2-part. I quit using kalk and now my levels stay very stable. I dose calcium and alkalinity 24 times a day.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had better luck maintaining parameters with 2-part. I quit using kalk and now my levels stay very stable. I dose calcium and alkalinity 24 times a day.

What is your dosing schedule? You dose each 24 times daily?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way is to test your parameters and then get them to level you want them. Then go 3 days without dosing and then test again. Divide your results by three and that will tell you your daily consumption. Then you can go to the reef calculator and determine how much you need to add to maintain. Most people use 2-part bulk additives. Then I have my doser set up to deliver 24 small doses of alk. and ca. each day. This way your tank will be more stable without all the up and down swings.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk in my ato and never had any issues. Keeps both stable for me sticks growing like crazy now

I would think your evaporation rate would be a touch more consistent, your lights don't put out near as much heat as mine.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back