Dosing Phyto and SPS

Skiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Started dosing Reef Nutrition's Phyto Feast Live 2.5 weeks ago on my ~5 month-old Waterbox 25G. I'll dose, take mech filtration out, run powerheads for over 20 minutes first thing when lights start ramping up. Dosing rate is the low end of their recommended dosage for my volume (something like 1 tsp/day). Corals seem to be taking to the dosing quite well, but I've seen spikes in both Nitrate and Phosphate along with some GHA. Is this to be expected? Wondering if anyone uses Algae Barn OceanMagik and finds it superior? Could just be the tank settling in still, I suppose. Weekly water changes of ~12-13% on this set up and tri-weekly mechanical media replacement.

Additionally, does anyone have a supplement they recommend on top of phyto for SPS health/coloration? My alkalinity (tests about 8.8 on average) and calcium (450ppm on average) are all really strong, but curious if anyone has any experience with the RedSea additions, or any others?

Thanks for thoughts, as always!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
reef nutrition's phyto seems a bit more concentrated than others. i'd cut dosage by a third or half and see what occurs with the GHA and nutrients increasing. or you can keep the current dose, but do it every other day.

perhaps dose some copepods to help with consuming the phyto/GHA?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back