Drain flex pipe...

Michael Faul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure this whole girgling thing out. I cycling and 4 days into it. The first day I had to power back my DC pump to slow the flow so my drain could keep up. It helped somewhat BUT the noise is back today. I may be wrong but my question is......

Would my flexible drain pipe that is curled under the tank like a P trap under a kitchen sink cause the problem?

I have a Maggie Muffler too.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gate valve to control the flow from the overflow to the sump my pump is to small but enough flow. The drain pipe is losing siphon and there is not enough volume of water going in the drain pipe. As you stated you dialed back the return pump. Is there a way to can dial it back up just a tad?

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your drain setup? How did you plumb?

On mine I put valves on the returns to the sump so I could slow the flow of the main return enough to get rid of the gurgle
The one on the left in my picture is the main drain from the overflow, just the slight closure on that pipe fixed the noise

image.jpeg

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure this whole girgling thing out. I cycling and 4 days into it. The first day I had to power back my DC pump to slow the flow so my drain could keep up. It helped somewhat BUT the noise is back today. I may be wrong but my question is......

Would my flexible drain pipe that is curled under the tank like a P trap under a kitchen sink cause the problem?

Yes the loop in your return line would cause noise. I had the same problem so I straitened the line and no more noise.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No loops in the plumbing. Shorten the tubing or rearrange something.

If it still doing the same thing with the drain plumbing fixed, then you're running too much flow.

2x to 4x the size of your display tank is all you need.

If you have a 65 gallon tank, that's just 130 GPH to 260 GPH.

I hope that helps! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back