OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home late last night and got to see my hammer closed up for the first time in awhile. Cool to see how many heads it’s grown. From 2 to at least 16.
IMG_3056.jpeg
IMG_3057.jpeg

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is feeling crowded lately. Been trying to trade/sell some coral as the battle for territory is in full swing.

I’d like to upgrade the tank but maybe not the best time for me.

Spotted mandarin is doing well getting fat and eating plenty of frozen food.
IMG_3636.jpeg

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% water change every Friday. I added a smart auto top off recently and it’s been a nice upgrade. Was previously using gravity bottle ato.
IMG_3823.jpeg

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp got out of control and was taking over the Monty. Did a cement job on the gsp.
IMG_3961.jpeg

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is awesome! What would you say contributed most to your success? Just reading through the thread there is very little as far as technical info it just seems you got a tank one day and it did amazing from the start! What has been your maintenance routine? What has been the biggest challenge to over come? Was there any huge setbacks or did you just hit a groove right away and have just seen awesome growth since? Is there anything you could attribute to the growth you’ve had?

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is awesome! What would you say contributed most to your success? Just reading through the thread there is very little as far as technical info it just seems you got a tank one day and it did amazing from the start! What has been your maintenance routine? What has been the biggest challenge to over come? Was there any huge setbacks or did you just hit a groove right away and have just seen awesome growth since? Is there anything you could attribute to the growth you’ve had?
Thanks!

Yeah I guess I’ve just used this thread mainly as a place to post progressive pictures.

I have maintained this tank meticulously since i started it. Imo I’ve not done many things the lazy way and I’ve gone slow. If I had to contribute my tanks success to any one thing then I’d say it’s a lack of tinkering. If it’s working I leave it be.

I started this thread with a 10g and did see growth fairly quickly, but nothing crazy. I had 0 nutrients in the system for awhile but I took no action. The only time I used a short cut was with this 10g and dosing fluconazole for bryopsis and after that dose I got red cyano. I learned there that the easy solution isn’t (always) the best solution.

I use Fritz rpm blue salt. I do 2.5 gallon water changes weekly. When I set up the 20g I was doing two 2.5g water changes a week and that led to nutrients bottoming and Dino’s started to become a problem. I acted quick on that and started dosing phosphate and nitrate (brightwell). It took sometime for the nutrients to stabilize, probably 3-4 months. After that I reduced water change to one 2.5g change a week. I feed a frozen mixture of mysis, brine shrimp, reef roids, and amino acids. I’ve stopped direct feeding coral I like this approach of one cube feeds all in the tank.

I test weekly for alk and calcium. I test monthly now for nitrates and phosphates. I think my consistent and task oriented approach to husbandry has helped. I don’t mess with the tank for fun only when it needs attention.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yeah I guess I’ve just used this thread mainly as a place to post progressive pictures.

I have maintained this tank meticulously since i started it. Imo I’ve not done many things the lazy way and I’ve gone slow. If I had to contribute my tanks success to any one thing then I’d say it’s a lack of tinkering. If it’s working I leave it be.

I started this thread with a 10g and did see growth fairly quickly, but nothing crazy. I had 0 nutrients in the system for awhile but I took no action. The only time I used a short cut was with this 10g and dosing fluconazole for bryopsis and after that dose I got red cyano. I learned there that the easy solution isn’t (always) the best solution.

I use Fritz rpm blue salt. I do 2.5 gallon water changes weekly. When I set up the 20g I was doing two 2.5g water changes a week and that led to nutrients bottoming and Dino’s started to become a problem. I acted quick on that and started dosing phosphate and nitrate (brightwell). It took sometime for the nutrients to stabilize, probably 3-4 months. After that I reduced water change to one 2.5g change a week. I feed a frozen mixture of mysis, brine shrimp, reef roids, and amino acids. I’ve stopped direct feeding coral I like this approach of one cube feeds all in the tank.

I test weekly for alk and calcium. I test monthly now for nitrates and phosphates. I think my consistent and task oriented approach to husbandry has helped. I don’t mess with the tank for fun only when it needs attention.
Super awesome low tech tank. I’m hoping to do exactly the same with my 38g tank. Nothing fancy, just consistent husbandry addressing things as they come. There’s just something about a tank that doesn’t have all the fancy bells and whistles but grows coral like no tomorrow. Well done

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back