Drilling 40 breeder

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracked a new 40 breeder Aqueon tank today while drilling for an overflow on the short side (peninsula style).

I’ve drilled 2 other tanks before and never had a problem, but never a 40G and never on the short side. Anyone run into any issues drilling Aqueon (bought this week at Petco) recently or have done a short side drilling successfully?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that'd be the key then, finding a non tempered end. Pretty sure I read aqueon uses whatever glass is on hand so it can be hit or miss.. If all they have is tempered they use it despite fact sheets, etc.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used the bit to drill 5 holes. Is that all the usage to expect for a bit?
Not necessarily, was it a cheap $15 bit from Amazon or a $50 bill from Milwaukee?
Was all the glass that you were drilling through very thick? Did you use a ton of water each time? All of those things could contribute to drill bit life.

if you weren't using much water it could have just gotten too hot.

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cracked a new 40 breeder Aqueon tank today while drilling for an overflow on the short side (peninsula style).

I’ve drilled 2 other tanks before and never had a problem, but never a 40G and never on the short side. Anyone run into any issues drilling Aqueon (bought this week at Petco) recently or have done a short side drilling successfully?

Sorry you had a problem. I have drilled two of those tanks on the short side. Three holes in each of them. I make a clay dam and keep a puddle of water for the bit to run in.

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that Aqueon uses whatever kind of glass they have on hand is just not true. Glass has to be cut to size first and then tempered. They don't just grab a piece of tempered glass and cut it to fit the end, it doesn't work that way.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my 40b short side.
20220813_141536.jpg
20220813_142558.jpg
20220820_145330.jpg

OP
OP
M

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the helpful input. Went back at it today on another 40 breeder and drilled it cleanly. Used the same bit but went super slow. I drilled from inside of the tank towards outside on the short side. Made a guide using a 2x4 to keep the whole bit straight. Yesterday, I had only used a much smaller template.

Now have 2 holes for an overflow box. I’m going to go over the top for the return and not tempt fate with more drilling on this tank…

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The notion that Aqueon uses whatever kind of glass they have on hand is just not true. Glass has to be cut to size first and then tempered. They don't just grab a piece of tempered glass and cut it to fit the end, it doesn't work that way.
From another thread a few years ago.
Post 8 is where the guy called aqueon

Idoc said:
Call the Aqueon company's support line and ask... they will know!
I just did. The guy told me that it is very likely the entire tank is tempered, especially if the tank was manufactured in the last two years.
He said Petco started buying so many tanks for their $ per gallon sale that they had a shortage of regular glass and started making the whole tank with tempered.
I guess you should always test with a laptop and polarized glasses, but that is what they told me

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I was saying is that tempered glass cannot be cut, it must be cut and then tempered. It is a very deliberate process.

Last edited:

0ttr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Destroyed a 75-gal petco Aqueon after reading that they were not tempered only to find out they had changed their build at some point and put a very small, barely readable tag on the bottom. Gave up and bought a drilled tank after that. It seems a 40-gal breeder, being that it is not a very deep tank, you lose a lot of its capacity drilling it in my mind, but I guess you've already factored that in.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Today , I purchased my 40 gallon breeder at Petco in Queens, NY for 59.99, normally 119.99. I want to drill the bottom. I wasnt sure what to look for, nor I don’t know how to test anything. However I have drilled the back no problem both for overflow and return. Since my apartment is tiny drilling the bottom would make better sense for me. Worst case I can drill the side if doable. But again bottom is better. Anyone tried it yet?

If bottom isn’t possible, then side it is…can anyone show me a peninsula setup please?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried the bottom but fwiw I use that overflow on a 60 and drilled the side. I'm having trouble picturing the bottom drilled out using an external overflow; for the return? Where would you do it and for what line/purpose?

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the overflow i got is for the sides...but if someone answered about drilling the bottom i would get a corner internal overflow and apply silicone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back