Drilling 40 breeder

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just called aqueon and they informed me that the glass is tempered (toughened) glass. means do no drill. i guess i am going to return the 40 breeder tank.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.... even if it's 59.99 it's still something i could use somewhere else i'll just have to wait when aqueon rans out of tempered and start making nontempered glass

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yeah.... even if it's 59.99 it's still something i could use somewhere else i'll just have to wait when aqueon rans out of tempered and start making nontempered glass
i bought my 40B used and i drilled it without second guessing things. a 60$ loss is better than just keeping a tank just to have an extra(unless you have the room, then by all means go for it lol). unless you meant returning it? not sure

the "tempered" glass issue seemed to be more of a covid thing where they didn't have enough stocked glass so they used what they had. they should be back to using their regular stuff, but could depend on area. seems some locals around me haven't had any issues with their drilling. just make sure you do the polarized trick before drilling to ensure you have a non-tempered glass pane.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Today , I purchased my 40 gallon breeder at Petco in Queens, NY for 59.99, normally 119.99. I want to drill the bottom. I wasnt sure what to look for, nor I don’t know how to test anything. However I have drilled the back no problem both for overflow and return. Since my apartment is tiny drilling the bottom would make better sense for me. Worst case I can drill the side if doable. But again bottom is better. Anyone tried it yet?

If bottom isn’t possible, then side it is…can anyone show me a peninsula setup please?
You got a laptop or cell phone, checking for tempered glass can be quick and easy. Put a laptop screen or cell phone screen inside the tank and look at it through the glass with a pair of polarized sunglasses. Completely black screen is non tempered, black lines is tempered.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you i will try that...i just need to find a polarized sunglass ...i do have a laptop at home and i can definitely do it in the dark....any recommendations on polarized?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you i will try that...i just need to find a polarized sunglass ...i do have a laptop at home and i can definitely do it in the dark....any recommendations on polarized?
Most sunglasses are polarized

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazon has a polarized filter sheet...would that work?

"Pack of 2 10x10cm Horizontal Polarizer Film for LCD Linear Polarized Filter Linear Polarizing Polarization Film Sheets Anti Polarized Film Photography Accessories"​

Not familiar with it so I cant say for certain.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking news for me!!! I was able to drill my 40 gallon breeder peninsula style!!!! Drilling from the inside out was not bad. Slow and steady wins the race!!!

IMG_0116.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back