DSLR to iPhone transfer?

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone doing to move pics from their cameras to their phones?

I’ve got a Pentax K20 DSLR (2008 I think) and I know I can take out the SD card and put the pics on a computer and then move them to the phone but was wondering if there was a way to go straight from the camera or SD card directly to my phone.

Thanks

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most newer DSLRs and believe all new mirrorless camera have camera to mobile phone direct transfer via vendor specific apps u download on mobile phone. This is typically via blue tooth orwireless or both. U can also transfer raw files and have them converted to jpg as well as controlled size of pics being transferred as well as do basic post processing in the app on the phone. Another option is direct upload from WiFi enabled camera to a folder on PC that uploads to cloud and syncs with phone bit here size is large...

One more option is to control camera and take shots via phone or pc via vendor specific apps on phone or pc .

Best option when not in a rush is to transfer to pc post process resize a copy of images you want to transfer to phone and then either move to phone via cable or sync or upload to one drive or Google drive that syncs with a folder on ur phone or just check the pics on ur cloud drive to avoid filling ur memory.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ This.
However I suspect that 2008 Pentax DSLR doesn't have WiFi or bloototh capabilities, so the only option would be to transfer pics to computer and from there to smartphone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I’ve got a Pentax K20 DSLR (2008 I think) and I know I can take out the SD card and put the pics on a computer and then move them to the phone but was wondering if there was a way to go straight from the camera or SD card directly to my phone.

Thanks
Mine doesnt have WiFi but I plug memory card to Home PC and then Email pics to my phone

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I'm not sure why you would want to do this, a recent mobile phone would probably take better photos than a 15 year old DSLR, especially if you only need enough resolution to post on social media :)

An alternative, If it's an Apple phone you can get a camera connection kit that allows you to directly connect USB devices to the phone, or to plug the memory card into the phone. That may help if your phone works with it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My camera (Cannon EoS Rebel T7) does have WiFi capability, but since I edit pretty much every picture I take, I find it easier to move the SD card to the laptop and do what I need. If I do need to put them on the phone for some reason I plug in with the cable and transfer the edited shot as .jpg file.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an SD to lightning adapter on Amazon and just send them directly from my SD to my iPhone
Ok thanks everyone!

I apparently already looked into this a year and a half ago. i was looking on Amazon for an apple lightning to SD card reader and it said that I already bought one in May 2022. I opened my camera bag and there it was right on top. I really should get the camera out more often.

I have been taking pics of the tank with my phone and even bought the filters and the magnifying glass lense but they’re not as sharp as I’d like them to be.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking on Amazon for an apple lightning to SD card reader and it said that I already bought one in May 2022. I opened my camera bag and there it was right on top. I really should get the camera out more often.
This sounds so much like something I have done. More than once unfortunately.

OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ This.
However I suspect that 2008 Pentax DSLR doesn't have WiFi or bloototh capabilities, so the only option would be to transfer pics to computer and from there to smartphone.
No it doesn’t. Pentax seems to have lagged behind the rest of the manufacturers. They were at the top of their game for film but when digital came around they got left behind in my opinion.
Unfortunately I have several lenses dating back to the film cameras and I don’t use it enough to justify starting over.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks everyone!

I apparently already looked into this a year and a half ago. i was looking on Amazon for an apple lightning to SD card reader and it said that I already bought one in May 2022. I opened my camera bag and there it was right on top. I really should get the camera out more often.

I have been taking pics of the tank with my phone and even bought the filters and the magnifying glass lense but they’re not as sharp as I’d like them to be.
Hmmm, I recently discovered a 82mm CPL filter in an old camera bag just after I thought it lost and bought a brand new one.

Happens to the best of us.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
indeed didn't notide the 2008 thing. so as said downloading to PC quick edit and emailing, copying to phone would eb the possibilities.
if you do have online storage like google drive or one drive that would be the fastest way to transport to phone as your pics will sync automatically when you download to a specific folder set to sync from your PC to your cloud to your phone or just store on cloud.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you would want to do this, a recent mobile phone would probably take better photos than a 15 year old DSLR, especially if you only need enough resolution to post on social media :)

An alternative, If it's an Apple phone you can get a camera connection kit that allows you to directly connect USB devices to the phone, or to plug the memory card into the phone. That may help if your phone works with it.
DSLR, even 15 y/O has capability of interchangeable lenses and you can get lenses of very high quality and macro if you want, so there’s still benefit of using older cameras.
You are also absolutely wrong about resolution, higher resolution is needed if you would like to print and especially enlarge your photos. For social media, resolution of this particular camera is more than enough.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could also upload them to your computer, upload to Google Photos, and then have them on your phone easily as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back