Dual doser with b.baking soda??

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Jedi I'm now understanding LOL Thanks for being taking you time with me. So now I'm thinking about all this and it's making sense now my ritual has become so focused that I'm actually precipitating equal parts out every single day and only a smaller figure of that dose actually makes it to the coral .

So if I start dosing calcium and alk 30 min apart with my current dose it's gonna have drastically different results.

Because lack of precipitation my alk would jack up?
Correct.

What I would do is this:

For the next few days, do not dose a single thing. Measure you calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and record your numbers every day at the exact same time of day (or as close as you can be to it). Get the numbers exact - no 'around 8/9 and then falls to around 7'. After that, use Randy's calculator to figure out how much Turbo Calcium you need to get your calcium back in line, and how much sodium carbonate you need for your alk. You will want to test magnesium as well, as with increased cal/alk demand, magnesium will begin to fall as well, and when that happens, neither calcium nor alkalinity dosing will work to raise your numbers. Test magnesium at least weekly until you can figure out how much your tank is using, then test at least monthly. Once you get it figured out and automated, it will be far easier to keep numbers stable and consistent and you will not need to test but once every few weeks and make slight adjustments.

You will want to make stock solutions, as well, several liters at a time is preferable to making many smaller batches. Unfortunately, Kent supplies zero directions other than 'add to tank' for Turbo Calcium and almost all of their other additives, you will want to find another calcium additive to use instead. Bulk Reef Supply sells the same thing in a 'generic' form that is a known quantity with which you can make a stock solution. I also prefer Red Sea supplements, but that is just me, there are dozens upon dozens to choose from.

Hopefully this helps a bit so you can get things on track for stability :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about corals ripping three days no dose I have some finikies like red Dragon and Hawkins echinata.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does put a slight damper on things. I would see where you're at after your first day without dosing and see how the numbers turn out, if it's not bad then go to the next day, and so on until the fourth day if you can make it that far :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back