Echinophyllia v chalice

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a long story short, I'm new to the hobby. Is there a difference between these corals? They look similar but I don't know the difference in care strategy.

I bought an "alien eye chalice" which seems to "act" as I expected. I also got a "pink pucker chalice" and a "red volcano/lava chalice" but these don't act like the alien eye. I've seen no "feelers" at night seeking food. They just sit there looking pretty.

I've had them going on two weeks and params are solid. Just trying to figure things out.

Tona

Tonapah

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some chalices I have had going on 2 years. In one tank I had them never once seen feeders. Now moved to a different tank and get feeders all over te place. Lol.

Chalices are affected a lot by lighting a flow. Maybe play around with placement and move them to a bit lower light. And more/less flow. Even try killing all flow in the tank and drop some food on them.

-Alex-

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several coral species under the chalice name. Some have small feeding tentacles while others send out sweeper type tentacles. It depends on the mood of the chalice, as well ad the exact species. Some are just more prone to having sweepers. This is common in many LPS corals. They have feeder tentacles and sweepers which can contain stinger cells if another coral seems too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Chalice" is just a common name for these types of corals. Whereas "Echinophyllia" is a scientific genus.

There are two genera which make up most of the "chalice" corals: Echinopora and Echinophyllia.

"Hollywood Stunner" is a Echinopora lamellosa species, whereas your other two chalices are likely something else. Echinophyllia aspera being a rather common one for most encrusting-type chalices. And it's these differences in species designations which make these "chalices" behave a bit differently.

And now you know why a common name isn't always good enough. ;)

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Chalice" is just a common name for these types of corals. Whereas "Echinophyllia" is a scientific genus.

There are two genera which make up most of the "chalice" corals: Echinopora and Echinophyllia.

"Hollywood Stunner" is a Echinopora lamellosa species, whereas your other two chalices are likely something else. Echinophyllia aspera being a rather common one for most encrusting-type chalices. And it's these differences in species designations which make these "chalices" behave a bit differently.

+1 - watch with the Echinopora Lamellosa aka Alien Eye aka Hollywood Stunner - they grow INCREDIBLY fast and have very, very long sweepers at night. A small frag that is 3" across can become the size of a dinner plate in 6-8 months and even a 6" across colony can have sweepers that are 6-8" long (or longer) at night. They pack a hard punch and will generally take out anything in their way. If the coral in their way happens to pack a bigger punch and beat it back, it'll just outgrow it and shade it out. It is the only LPS in my tank that can keep pace with acros and even grows faster than my monti caps. It will even outgrow many "SPS" since their skeleton is wafer thin.

Don't worry about breaking it since it'll just grow back in a couple weeks. If you crack it, just leave it where it is and it'll repair itself. It's the only coral in my tank that has done that.

My LFS has a Hollywood Stunner/Alien Eye that is around 3' across taking up almost 1/3 of a 240g cube and is probably only 3 or 4 years old.

kb1094

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echinophyllia is your everyday chalice, they usually have short tentacles, if you put them in a spot where there is a lot of flow, the feeders will not come out. However, if you spot feed them, they will get used to have their tentacles out in the day. I keep my chalices in my sand bed, direct light and low flow. They are doing great. Hope this helps out.

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Elephant Nose coral. I believe these are Mycedium corals even though I was told it was a chalice when I bought it. Do they generally send out feeder tentacles? I've not seen an at any time of day. It looks the same as when i bought it (healthy) although I've not seen any growth yet. It's in fairly low light a low flow atm.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent! Thank you.
I'll try to find out more specifics about the other two and move them around some.

I'm concerned about the growth rate of the " Hollywood stunner." I'll cross that bridge when I get there, I reckon.

Tonapah

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd share pics of what I'm talking about.

Lazy do nothing's ;)
5y6y3ete.jpg

Versus

Growing Out of control Hollywood style
gerezagu.jpg

Tona

When all is said and done, there is too much said than done. - Grandpa

Tonapah's-IM38-build https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135783

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, enter another realm of complication...

That's not the traditional "Holllywood Stunner" with is Echinopora lamellosa. But rather what you have there is a Mycedium species; yet another genera which gets labeled as a "chalice".

Here's what "Hollywood Stunner" looks like; note the skeletal structure differences:
hollywoodstunnerchal.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, enter another realm of complication...

That's not the traditional "Holllywood Stunner" with is Echinopora lamellosa. But rather what you have there is a Mycedium species; yet another genera which gets labeled as a "chalice".

Here's what "Hollywood Stunner" looks like; note the skeletal structure differences:
hollywoodstunnerchal.jpg

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Did the LFS take advantage of me?

I think your stunner is stunning. I sure like mine. However, I'd sure like to feel more confidence coming from my LFS.

So, what is a mycedium? And is there anything should know about it?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Did the LFS take advantage of me?

I think your stunner is stunning. I sure like mine. However, I'd sure like to feel more confidence coming from my LFS.
It's all relative. And this is unfortunately the artifact of common names; there is no standard.
Not my photo either; just a good example via a quick Google search.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many places sell mis-named corals that is nothing new. The one you have is just as nice if not nicer. Hollywood stunner has become a very common chalice because of its growth rate. Another very similar in appearance is the fire enchino. Years ago it was called the Miami stunner. IMO is nicer since the polyps get red edges in med light. I had one i swore i grew before your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Welltankgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold these corals as Hollywood stunner however I have to believe that they are a different variant. They don’t look like any other Hollywood center and there’s an extreme polyp extension on the edges of the cups are orange. Is this like what you’re talking about

Attachments

• 479372D8-24AA-4C9F-898A-884CEF1C8921.jpeg
    479372D8-24AA-4C9F-898A-884CEF1C8921.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8AB869D5-E207-4562-B682-2E93AF416DDA.jpeg
    8AB869D5-E207-4562-B682-2E93AF416DDA.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 30

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back