Ecotech Marine Versa Dosing Pump will start at $150

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read your DIY peristalstic pump thread, so you know about how they work and about their built quality, so according to you which one seems to be more sturdy, more long lasting of the two?
No one can answer that question without it being opinion. Versa hasn't been out long enough to provide an objective answer from users.

We can defer to a statement made by ecotech that they performed a lifetime of water changes in their labs.

The versa motor was designed to run continuously, and the way the gear reduction works in the planetary setting, the motor doesn't see much in the way of torque which will yeild longer motor life.

I think what drove my decision is the versatility of the pump. A company like ecotech isn't going to rest with "good enough", there's more that the versa can do. Just take your intended use as continuous use for your calcium reactor, I've heard rumors that it will eventually be able to vary the speed based on a dKH of the tank to maintain a specific range.

Even if that's just a rumor, the idea that it's possible because the company backing it has the platform and resources to do so makes it an easy choice.

Kamoer isnt set up to provide that, it's simply a continuous use pump now with wifi capability and theres nothing wrong with that, it was an answer to the glogging effluent most CaRx users experienced before that pump. Why stop there? Keep adapting to hobbyists needs.

One last thing, something that I experienced is the life expectancy of the tube and replacement replacement intervals. Calibrating every 30 days, I saw that the kamoer tube needed to be replaced at 4-6 months due to degradation in the tubes resiliency. My oldest versa is only 4 months old and has endured similar conditions. I tested the calibration this last weekend and the tube is still going strong.

I know that the bench mark most people have stops at noise, but there's so much more that matters when comparing pumps.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, it wouldn't be a fair comparison on durability because the versa has been in the wild for just a few months, also the software of the versa is way way better but just as continuous use dosing pump, pump design, durability, construction, the reason why I'm asking you is because the versa (1 unit) is cheaper than the camoer so I'm wondering if that means that the versa construction is not as strong as the camoer, in other words if you see them side by side which one looks better constructed.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool video, thanks for sharing, the tubing seems rigid, more than the camoer's, stepper is a custom made for the versa, camoer uses a more standard stepper, the rest is hard to say just from videos without having on hand the two pumps but again, now I have a more clearer detail about how are they built.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used both the Kamore and now the Versa to feed my Calcium Reactor. A couple things that come to mind as to why I ultimately like the Bersa better- they might not apply for everyone but this is my reasoning..,

Im not worried about having to change the tubing any longer. Spoke with EM support and the tubing on the Versa is good for at lea a year of not years. I changed it ever 4 months on the Kamore.

The footprint of the Kamore for me was an issue - I only have so much room under my tank. Versa gave me valuable room back for other goodies.

The Kamore (pre Wi-Fi) was all manually set up. The Versa App is very easy to use and in my experience has required less calibration.

The Kamore is more of a one trick pony - the Versa gives me options if I ever want to go to dosing instead of my reactor.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, 3 months and mine is failing. Overdosing badly (almost triple) - thankfully this is on my Ca reactor and not directly dosing. Ecotech is closed right now, but still answering email. Had to send them a video of the problem, so I think I'm probably the first. With the unit off, its still dripping - I suspect that head pressure from the feed pump caused it to fail. I ordered a replacement from the one place that still has them in stock and I may change to push instead of pull from the reactor. Kinda sucks because I'll have to 3d print a fitting from 1/4" ro tubing to 1/2" ID thats on the Ca intake.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp, 3 months and mine is failing. Overdosing badly (almost triple) - thankfully this is on my Ca reactor and not directly dosing. Ecotech is closed right now, but still answering email. Had to send them a video of the problem, so I think I'm probably the first. With the unit off, its still dripping - I suspect that head pressure from the feed pump caused it to fail. I ordered a replacement from the one place that still has them in stock and I may change to push instead of pull from the reactor. Kinda sucks because I'll have to 3d print a fitting from 1/4" ro tubing to 1/2" ID thats on the Ca intake.

So is you calrx recirculating pump pushing water out even through the Versa is off?

I use my Versa to push and haven’t had any issues in about 5 months.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait - you still use a feed pump for the calrx and the Versa to pull? Sorry for my confusion.

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...a bit confused as well. What is the purpose of the feed pump?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pressurized the reactor, saturates it with C02. Think of an unopened beer bottle. More gas in the water less evacuating out the effluent.
First I’ve ever heard of using a pump to pressurize a calrx and using a different pump to then pull water out under pressure. You’re not talk about a recirculating pump right?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I’ve ever heard of using a pump to pressurize a calrx and using a different pump to then pull water out under pressure. You’re not talk about a recirculating pump right?
I don't doubt it, most people think r2r is the end all be all to reefing, if a hobbyist is getting their information solely from here, then they're behind the curve already. If you notice, most of the content is parroted and can be traced back to a single source.

Most of the accounts are anecdotal, nothing concrete. But the idea is to connect the inlet of the CaRx to a manifold that has its own pump and the effluent is "regulated" by a peristaltic pump. The goal is to pressurize and saturate the water inside the reactor with C02, it eliminates that layer of trapped C02 most reactors get at the top of the chamber. The theory is the pressure keeps the bubbles small thus it stays in the water column longer maintaining the proper pH with less gas. It extends the life of your bottle and you can slow the speed of the peristaltic pump way down.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - If I dont have some pressure on the intake the recirc pump pressure will be greater than the pull from the Versa. It's not much, the feed pump is off a T on an MJ900 that feeds my carbon/GFO reactor

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't doubt it, most people think r2r is the end all be all to reefing, if a hobbyist is getting their information solely from here, then they're behind the curve already. If you notice, most of the content is parroted and can be traced back to a single source.

Most of the accounts are anecdotal, nothing concrete. But the idea is to connect the inlet of the CaRx to a manifold that has its own pump and the effluent is "regulated" by a peristaltic pump. The goal is to pressurize and saturate the water inside the reactor with C02, it eliminates that layer of trapped C02 most reactors get at the top of the chamber. The theory is the pressure keeps the bubbles small thus it stays in the water column longer maintaining the proper pH with less gas. It extends the life of your bottle and you can slow the speed of the peristaltic pump way down.

Sorry - I don’t get all of my info from R2R - but thanks for assuming that. I first started running a calrx 20 years ago and I have never heard of this. If anecdotal how do we know it even works? Can you post a link to one that works? My point in this is - Trying to put pressure on a peristaltic pump seems like a bad idea - I don’t see how a peristaltic pump is designed to hold pressure.

Yes - If I dont have some pressure on the intake the recirc pump pressure will be greater than the pull from the Versa. It's not much, the feed pump is off a T on an MJ900 that feeds my carbon/GFO reactor

Okay- a maxi jet pump isn’t a pressure rated pump so once the flow from that hits the reactor it will build up a little pressure and will only be able to push as much water into your CalRx that is going out through the effluent line. I really don’t think uou don’t need both the push from the MJ pump and the pull from the Versa. I would be concerned that the push from the MJ is what caused the problem for the Versa and is likely why it is still dripping even when it’s off. Your recirculating pump on your reactor should not give the Versa an issue if you are pushing or pulling with it - though I believe EcoTech recently posted they are designed to push not pull through a calrx. Which reactor are you using?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I don’t get all of my info from R2R - but thanks for assuming that. I first started running a calrx 20 years ago and I have never heard of this. If anecdotal how do we know it even works? Can you post a link to one that works? My point in this is - Trying to put pressure on a peristaltic pump seems like a bad idea - I don’t see how a peristaltic pump is designed to hold pressure.
I get it, there are different levels of hobbyists.

Anecdotal, meaning I'm not aware of any side by side comparisons to see if it prolongs the life of the bottle on a traditional CaRx with a pH probe. Nor if there are any clear benefits to doing it that way. Much like most things in this hobby it satisfies my personal truths that there's more benefit to pressurizing a reactor chamber vs not.

The only concern I would have with pressurizing the backside of a peristaltic pump are connection points within. The versa uses push to connect fittings and metal band clamps for the peri tube, those are tested to 25psi, they're going to hold up to the the extra psi above atmospheric that a non positive displacement pump can create inside a reactor.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the versa is "leaking", which pump were you using in your effluent?

Was it working without leaking, if so for how long?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - If I dont have some pressure on the intake the recirc pump pressure will be greater than the pull from the Versa.
That's a common misconception, the circulation pump is pulling water from within the reactor and pushing it right back in. there is no pressure gained or lost. It is in fact only circulating. It would have no effect on whether a peristaltic pump is pulling or pushing. There are a few other factors that may cause some concerns but the recirc pump wouldn't be the cause.

I'm curious what happened...

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressurized the reactor, saturates it with C02. Think of an unopened beer bottle. More gas in the water less evacuating out the effluent.
Okay..got it. Didn't know about this before. My versa does run very slow and my recirc pump is a bit noisy due to the co2 bubbles. Do you believe that a feed pump reduces this noise? I dont get co2 trapped at the top. There is a line at the top that feeds back into the recirc pump. It is a reef octo. I think most are like this.

If your versa is leaking at the quick connects, they have a tubing option that doesn't have any quick connects. It is just straight hosebarb.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back