OP
R

ridburton061

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think one kessil 150 would be enough or would i need 2? They just seem small and every tank ive seen with had 2. But ive only seen a few

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil recommends two A150 for that size tank but it depends on your plans for it. If you want to keep corals that only require moderate to low light then you could raise it up to cover the entire tank. Keep in mind that this light that it spreads the light in a circle, so light will spill over the front and back the same radius as the sides unless you do something about it.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411064076.684611.jpg

I have the kessil A360 on a controller and love it, as do all my corals.

OP
OP
R

ridburton061

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i don't think the kessil will be a good choice for me. They do seem nice though. I was just in a shop in Florida (on vacation) and was looking at the onyx light by rapid led i believe. About as pricy as the kessil but has better coverage. I think i may spend the money on one

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Ecoxotic lights for a few years now. I purchased a previous version of the lights and had a lot of issues with them burning out, however the company has been awesome about taking care of me and sending replacements no questions asked. I have had a lot of luck with the newest 2.0 version of them, and I feel pretty happy about them. If I were to purchase new lighting today, I would probably purchased a DIY LED kit from RapidLED. If you do buy a LED kit make sure you get the dimmable setups as I have had trouble dealing with them at full power.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two pros plus a uv stunner on my 14 biocube for a year. I had no burnouts (2.0) and had great growth from everything including SPS. I eventually got a steves full spectrum led extreme kit with additional violets and to tell the truth it isn't that much better. I can hit 3000 PAR with steves, but of course have to run them much much lower and the coral that faces the light tends to bleach still before I can get great coverage. I just ran the pros at 100 and everything did great. If I had to do it again I just might keep the pros!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 3 pros on a 29, yes. The 2 pro and stunner worked well on my 14 biocube, but the larger tank I would do another.

OP
OP
R

ridburton061

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying 3 pro's and a stunner or just 3 pros? Im confused and that just seems like alot. By the time i add all that up id be better off paying more for 1 better light

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should purchase 3 pros for your 30 gallon aquarium. I had 9 over my 90 gallon and that worked out well. If I were you, I would purchase 1 x Blue/magenta, 1 x blue, and 1 x blue/white. That was a very nice color combination for my tank. The 2.0 pros are nice lights, I do not think you would no be wasting your money, nor do I think you could buy a better light for the money unless you do a diy Cree LED kit.

If I were you I would only purchase one 60 watt transformer, a 3 way splitter, and a dimmer to control all three lights at the same time. That color combination is nice and I don't think you would need to control each light individual unless you wanted to to change the spectrum, but that makes it a lot more expensive. You can also email Ecoxotic and ask them what they would recommend for your tank.

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I had were the first ones . Didn't even know they have newer versions . Since I got the kessil I haven't looked back.

And yea that's a really nice tank .

OP
OP
R

ridburton061

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i think i have one last question on these lights. How is the shimmer affect?

pscott99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0481.JPG

Here is mine from 2010. Sitting on my basement floor if anyone is interested. Very solid metal construction. Worked quite well. Needs one new power supply. Upgraded to a new tank, see my profile. I also added a stunner strip.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back