Electrical Safety: GFCI, AFCI, Ground Probes

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you post that again in the same thread? I'm totally confused...
Maybe I didn't do a good enough job showing the flaws in the post the first time?
Maybe they thought that by posting it again it would some how make it better?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repetition = Learning
Comprehension is what makes it happen for me, which for me means diagrams and pretty pictures. I can re-read that all day long and it only makes a bit more sense each time. At a minimum I need to sketch it out, read again, modify my sketch, etc...and I don't have time currently, too many other things going on, but that doesn't mean that just because I or someone else hasn't immediately jumped all over this doesn't mean that it needs to be re-posted, verbatim, without any additional insight.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repetition = Learning
Repetition of bad information, which the article you posted contains, is not a good thing.
Giving an example that doesn't apply to the majority of people and using it to recommend never using a safety item is also a bad thing, and that is also what this article does. How many people do you know that have nothing electrical in their tank other than 1 heater?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incidentally, yesterday I got a call from a tank I assist with that one of the Jebao power heads stopped working. I was like "big surprise" but needed to go there anyways. When I reached into the overflow box to grab the magnet, my arm brushed the light fixture and tingle tingle

When I unplugged the controller for the power head and plugged it back in, it sparked a bit, just a bit more than your typical spark you get when you plug in a barrel connector...not sure if that is why the pump was going bad, but that wasn't the bad piece of equipment, as I soon discovered.

I removed the power head completely, then I went to clean the algae scrubber and when I was reaching into the box (water off, screen removed) I got it again. So I started unplugging things one at a time and probing...skimmer pump was bad.

Incidentally, no GFCI on this tank, no ground probe either. Not my choice, setup is existing. Going to need to do some eval and make some suggestions...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incidentally, yesterday I got a call from a tank I assist with that one of the Jebao power heads stopped working. I was like "big surprise" but needed to go there anyways. When I reached into the overflow box to grab the magnet, my arm brushed the light fixture and tingle tingle

When I unplugged the controller for the power head and plugged it back in, it sparked a bit, just a bit more than your typical spark you get when you plug in a barrel connector...not sure if that is why the pump was going bad, but that wasn't the bad piece of equipment, as I soon discovered.

I removed the power head completely, then I went to clean the algae scrubber and when I was reaching into the box (water off, screen removed) I got it again. So I started unplugging things one at a time and probing...skimmer pump was bad.

Incidentally, no GFCI on this tank, no ground probe either. Not my choice, setup is existing. Going to need to do some eval and make some suggestions...
Glad you are okay! The majority of the time a 120VAC shock won't cause anyone any health issues. Unfortunately over 300 people every year are killed by 120V shocks in the US. Odds are it will never be you but someone has to be the outlier and you can't say for sure it won't be you.

I'm thinking it is about time I put together a comprehensive post about electrical safety and how it applies to aquariums. I have been giving it a lot of thought as I plan out my tank so it shouldn't be hard to put my notes and plans together into a new thread.

Beej1254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are okay! The majority of the time a 120VAC shock won't cause anyone any health issues. Unfortunately over 300 people every year are killed by 120V shocks in the US. Odds are it will never be you but someone has to be the outlier and you can't say for sure it won't be you.

I'm thinking it is about time I put together a comprehensive post about electrical safety and how it applies to aquariums. I have been giving it a lot of thought as I plan out my tank so it shouldn't be hard to put my notes and plans together into a new thread.

Send me a link if you do!
Thanks!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If i remember the graph correctly that number was around 700 prior to GFCIs.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a link if you do!
Thanks!

I will do that!

If i remember the graph correctly that number was around 700 prior to GFCIs.

GFCI's have save a bunch of lives. It's amazing to me that more people wouldn't use them when dealing with a salt water aquarium.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFCI's have save a bunch of lives. It's amazing to me that more people wouldn't use them when dealing with a salt water aquarium.

Yes they have. It shocks me how many time you see someone that had a GFCI trip and the first response is to replace the outlet with a standard one. This happens on a number of different forums I belong to not just aquarium.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they have. It shocks me how many time you see someone that had a GFCI trip and the first response is to replace the outlet with a standard one. This happens on a number of different forums I belong to not just aquarium.
Probably going to sound crazy coming from me, but I will not be using a GFCI outlet to feed my aquarium main power scheme. I will have GFCI incorporated into it however. I wish a were further along with my tank build so I could take pictures to make what I plan on doing easier to visualize.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going to sound crazy coming from me, but I will not be using a GFCI outlet to feed my aquarium main power scheme. I will have GFCI incorporated into it however. I wish a were further along with my tank build so I could take pictures to make what I plan on doing easier to visualize.

Do you have a build thread? If so, please post a link. I really like your idea of writing a new/refreshed electrical safety guide relating to home aquaria (specifically marine aquaria). I think so many hobbyists (definitely including myself!) would benefit, ultimately leading numerous hobbyists setting up or changing their current systems to much more safe electrical practices. If you do, please also send a copy to me, and post a link here. I believe electrical safety in our hobby is something very often overlooked by so many new hobbyists as well as those who have been in the hobby (and it shouldn't be! Electricity + water (esp saltwater) x common lack of electrical safety knowledge = BAD). Electrical safety, and important safety guides like you're referring to, really does (and I believe would) save lives. Thanks!

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a build thread?
My build thread is linked in my signature. I just haven't gotten to the point of working on my electrical system yet. I'm going to build a separate electrical enclosure inside my stand to isolate it from the wet section of my stand. Need to rebuild the sump I destroyed and in the stand before I can set the tank on it. Then the plumbing since it will be easier to do without the electrical installed.

I'm new to aquariums but most people would tell you that I live and breathe electrical safety. I also design and install electrical power distribution systems (albeit at a much larger scale than residential).

As I dig into this I keep coming across one piece of information that I think is completely wrong. And that is that voltage doesn't hurt fish, current does. While that is true of people I could make an excellent argument against it being the case in fish. I think the voltage is just as damaging to fish as current, if not more so. Still doing more research along those lines.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back