evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about time slacker :)

Everything's looking great Hunter. Sorry to hear about the troubles but it looks like your bouncing back well. Amazing how fast the last year went by.
Eh, better late then never. Or crashed. :p

Thanks Brett.

wow that tank is gorgeous man! you still have your shrimp i had a melanarus and almost lost all my shrimp
Thank you.

There are two cleaners in here, yes. Keeping Halichoeres alongside shrimp depends partially on the species, but more on the temperament of the specific specimen you have. However, feeding frequently doesn't hurt either.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef a Palooza was a blast. My partner and I accompanied zibba and kwoww, and we ended up walking around with jporter17 while we were there. This might have been a bad plan; we were all a bad influence on each other. :p

And this happened. Me and zibba split the two purchase here. :evilgrin:

zibba's photos:
10304127975_6ddf1ae89d_c.jpg

10304460013_c37b35e178_c.jpg

I also nabbed an insane scoly and a yellow plate (which is truly yellow).

Scoly:
DSC_6277_zps83108087.jpg

Yellow plate:
DSC_6265_zpsf5d14387.jpg

And since I'm posting, the other top downs taken by zibba:
DSC_6254_zpsefc9cb29.jpg

DSC_6256_zps2daa7ff3.jpg

DSC_6260_zpsda25cb2a.jpg

DSC_6263_zps2509c7ec.jpg

DSC_6264_zps69a4d3f3.jpg

DSC_6267_zps0f09c7b2.jpg

DSC_6272_zps6429588f.jpg

DSC_6279_zps0c38f4c4.jpg

DSC_6281_zps6e75a0a1.jpg

DSC_6285_zps1e676d7b.jpg

DSC_6288_zps3f619e09.jpg

DSC_6289_zps575d3b97.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zibba stuck these in the Wrasse Lover's thread last night, but in case you missed them -

All comments by zibba:

Earl's Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Rhomboid & Lunatus Wrasses by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Johnsoni Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Lunatus Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Eightline Flasher Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Attenuatus Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

The tail on the Johnson's wrasse hit the light just right for this shot -- pretty incredible fish:

Johnson Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Da King:

Lineatus Wrasse by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return Pump
Eheim 1262 (on a UPS which will run for ~45 min)

Does the Eheim provide enough turnover for your tank? It's rated for about 960gph right? I've got a 100G tank using a return pump rated for about 1290/1300 gph. I've had some restart problems with both my Rio and Mag pumps at some point - I'll turn them off for tank cleaning/water change and when I turn them on they clatter about - sometimes on/off works to get them going again - sometimes I tear them apart to clean and then they restart - and most recently I had a Rio that just wouldn't restart correctly.

I've heard good things about the Eheim but didn't think I'd get enough turnover in the tank with only ~900+ gph.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Cheryl (aka GoBeach)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely stunning tank! I just read through the entire thread (and looked at all the pics!)! I've never seen so many wrasses together! Beautiful! I'd love to see a video of this thing!

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter's tank is really nice. I could put a chair in front of it and spend hours looking at it. I am also going to have to talk with him about some coral trades. Did anyone else see a small bounce mushroom in any of the pictures? JP

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Eheim provide enough turnover for your tank? It's rated for about 960gph right? I've got a 100G tank using a return pump rated for about 1290/1300 gph. I've had some restart problems with both my Rio and Mag pumps at some point - I'll turn them off for tank cleaning/water change and when I turn them on they clatter about - sometimes on/off works to get them going again - sometimes I tear them apart to clean and then they restart - and most recently I had a Rio that just wouldn't restart correctly.

I've heard good things about the Eheim but didn't think I'd get enough turnover in the tank with only ~900+ gph.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Cheryl (aka GoBeach)
It's really a matter of your sump size; it's plenty of flow for me (35g sump). I intentionally did my plumbing in such a way to minimize head loss, so the 1262 ended up flowing even more than I anticipated. A good rule of thumb is having no more than 10x turnover in the sump; any more flow than this and your equipment doesn't have enough dwell time to function optimally.

In the sense of tank circulation, relying on a return pump for such is inefficient. This is where powerheads come in; they are much more efficient at providing turnover and circulation in the tank. In terms of power consumption, combined the 4 vortechs I have on the tank use about the same amount of power as the return pump, yet provide about 8x the amount of flow.

Absolutely stunning tank! I just read through the entire thread (and looked at all the pics!)! I've never seen so many wrasses together! Beautiful! I'd love to see a video of this thing!
Thank you kindly. I developed a full blown case of wrasse addiction a few years ago. I don't believe I have shot a video of this tank yet, although Gary Parr has...

Hunter's tank is really nice. I could put a chair in front of it and spend hours looking at it. I am also going to have to talk with him about some coral trades. Did anyone else see a small bounce mushroom in any of the pictures? JP
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. (Jeff has a very ugly tank too, for those that don't know)
You can't see that bounce behind the rocks... :gossip:

Dang sweet tank! We need some more photos!
Thank you!
I think you all want photos of zibba's quality; sadly I'm not capable of that. :)
Perhaps next week I'll have some spare time.

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really a matter of your sump size; it's plenty of flow for me (35g sump). I intentionally did my plumbing in such a way to minimize head loss, so the 1262 ended up flowing even more than I anticipated. A good rule of thumb is having no more than 10x turnover in the sump; any more flow than this and your equipment doesn't have enough dwell time to function optimally.

In the sense of tank circulation, relying on a return pump for such is inefficient. This is where powerheads come in; they are much more efficient at providing turnover and circulation in the tank. In terms of power consumption, combined the 4 vortechs I have on the tank use about the same amount of power as the return pump, yet provide about 8x the amount of flow.

Thanks I appreciate the response. I'm not at all relying on my return pump for flow. I've got 2 MP40s on each side of my tank and 3 small (forget the name) powerheads on the back. I wish the MP10s would work for thicker glass, I'd put 2 of them on the back glass.

Based on your input, and quite a bit of additional reading - I've got too much turnover with my return pump. My sump is not very large, it's got ~12.5 Gal in it now plus or minus a bit. My current return pump is ~1290gph so it seems that I should reduce by an order of magnitude.

I ordered an Eheim from BRS that will give me 640 gph capacity - I can dial that back a bit and see how the tank responds. I'm hesitant to make any really big changes.

Thanks again for the feedback.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10's will work on 1/2" glass (my tank is 1/2"), but their "hold" isn't super strong. I've yet had that be an issue, however.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome job bro!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see all the wrasses that arent normally seen at the local LFS.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump! :)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back