External control or built in control, dimming a T5 hybrid fixture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How would you want to dim your T5HO hybrid fixture?

• External Aquarium controller with 0 -10V

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Built in fixture controller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would like both

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now when you say external control, are you referring to a unit that can be externally controlled by something like an apex? I think that's what most users would want. Something that can be plugged into their aquarium controller to ramp up and ramp down and be fully controlled. :)

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go external controller since I have one, but could see having both being very nice for me others. I personally like the regular on/off from the original that I have but that’s not the question, . Awesome you are expanding the product line.

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already considering (basically decided) I am getting a 36" fixture for my Reefer 250. Dimming and controllability from Apex would make this quite possibly the ultimate lighting solution.

Since it is in development, it would be wise to consider developing this option as an upgrade to existing customers, if possible.

Apex is by far the most popular aquarium controllers but certainly not the only one out there.

I hope development goes well and fast! I don't yet have a light but when I do, I'd be happy to offer my services testing! ;)

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-10v so that Reef Keeper ALD units can also utilize the function.
To keep cost down, you can consider where fixture is on 100% when plugged into an AC wall outlet and dimming function only works with the 0-10v port/leads utilized.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I'm already considering (basically decided) I am getting a 36" fixture for my Reefer 250. Dimming and controllability from Apex would make this quite possibly the ultimate lighting solution.

Since it is in development, it would be wise to consider developing this option as an upgrade to existing customers, if possible.

Apex is by far the most popular aquarium controllers but certainly not the only one out there.

I hope development goes well and fast! I don't yet have a light but when I do, I'd be happy to offer my services testing! ;)

Thank you. The biggest obstacles have been the wiring. The existing unit was made to be modular and in turn these are some of the short comings of the unit. The wires external and the ballast firing the front set of lamps and the other the back set of lamps. Plus the two power cords.

So far we are looking to fix all of this with the dimmable fixture, but it will lose the one part that the original has, modifying the dimensions. This unit will be fully assembled with all the wiring run internal of the fixture, at least the T5 wiring. This allows a single power cord out the back along with a stereo 3.5mm either male or female 0 - 10V control, two channels.

It would be difficult to make an upgrade to the original units as there is additional wiring but I will look into it.

Was looking at the CAD drawings yesterday and I hope people will like it!!!

I will need a few people to test it out for me. Will let everyone know.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
0-10v so that Reef Keeper ALD units can also utilize the function.
To keep cost down, you can consider where fixture is on 100% when plugged into an AC wall outlet and dimming function only works with the 0-10v port/leads utilized.

Thanks. That would be the default to the fixture, my concern is the cost of the dimming ballast compared to the standard ballast.

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The biggest obstacles have been the wiring. The existing unit was made to be modular and in turn these are some of the short comings of the unit. The wires external and the ballast firing the front set of lamps and the other the back set of lamps. Plus the two power cords.

So far we are looking to fix all of this with the dimmable fixture, but it will lose the one part that the original has, modifying the dimensions. This unit will be fully assembled with all the wiring run internal of the fixture, at least the T5 wiring. This allows a single power cord out the back along with a stereo 3.5mm either male or female 0 - 10V control, two channels.

It would be difficult to make an upgrade to the original units as there is additional wiring but I will look into it.

Was looking at the CAD drawings yesterday and I hope people will like it!!!

I will need a few people to test it out for me. Will let everyone know.

You had me at single wire out for power ;)

I may be forced to wait a little while then.

I'd still like to get the Ceiling mounts in and setup, provided the mounting of the new improved fixture doesn't change mounting. PM Sent.

I presume the new improved controllable fixture would also accomodate AI Hydra 26 lights?

It's truly amazing when a dedicated company, such as yours, is active with its consumers and requests feedback! Keep up the good work!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already said Too much, But I have to ask What is the ratio of Hobbyist with a controller and without. There are simple solutions to dimming
137431_5da48c7f2160113981986934bdfd662fd345dc00_original.jpg

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
You had me at single wire out for power ;)

I may be forced to wait a little while then.

I'd still like to get the Ceiling mounts in and setup, provided the mounting of the new improved fixture doesn't change mounting. PM Sent.

I presume the new improved controllable fixture would also accomodate AI Hydra 26 lights?

It's truly amazing when a dedicated company, such as yours, is active with its consumers and requests feedback! Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

Yes the intent will be to keep the center brackets the same on the new version as the existing so the AI 26 will fit no problem. Saves on tooling new parts too.

Thanks, I like it here, people are engaging and the feed back is constructive. Plus, our hope is to make the product better and what people want.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Yes the intent will be to keep the center brackets the same on the new version as the existing so the AI 26 will fit no problem. Saves on tooling new parts too.

Thanks, I like it here, people are engaging and the feed back is constructive. Plus, our hope is to make the product better and what people want.
I’m going to be using one of your fixtures for my build. Is it possible to make a simple dimming device like the one pictured above?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back