Extremely low potassium in reef

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you still have to get a "good" test kit and establish if the K level is actually low or not. Dumping in potassium might not be the solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gentleman...... Can you help me out here? Lol
Evolved, am I to assume if I go slowly a slightly higher k level in a reef not as bad as being low?
As I am having horrible luck with test kits. I have done 20 gal wc thus far, hoping to balance things out. Sps look stressed lost two as of now. Montis are peacing out. Soooooo

Can anyone give any advice as what to do at this point? Test kit on the way from Red Sea.

I already gave mine, but I'll repeat it: make sure it really is low by verifying with another kit (and check the kit against new wsalt water if it gives a weird reading), and then boost it slowly if it is appreciably below 400 ppm. :)

OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks randy, I did both and the kit and replacement kit are faulty. Red Sea is replacing with yet another kit

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a problem with low K. Elos test shows 400ppm with fresh mixed Instant Ocean but my tank reads 200-250ppm. I have tried raising it with Brightwell Potassium but have not been able to with the maximum daily dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a problem with low K. Elos test shows 400ppm with fresh mixed Instant Ocean but my tank reads 200-250ppm. I have tried raising it with Brightwell Potassium but have not been able to with the maximum daily dose.

How much are you adding?

1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) should raise potassium in 100 gallons of water by 1.3 ppm.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest to use K test is the salifert but it is extremely hard to find. All of the kits allow for gross human error in my opinion. I have not used one since Triton testing became available here in the states.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too at one time had low K in my tank, via Red Sea test kit. I added too much in too short of a time and the tips of my acros burnt. Many water changes later my corals started to come back. I know add 5ml every 3-4 days and it keeps my levels acceptable and my colors good. JME.

tjgr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your main question, but, you have a Radion Pro AS A SUPPLEMENT?!? What do you do for a living and are you hiring?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back