Fallow, What to feed tank?

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I current have 1 CBS and 10 cerith Snails in my display that I have begun to fallow. I have some Coraline algae in there too. I'd like to eradicate my spionid worms aswell, but in order to do that I'd need to have no food come to the bottom. Another thing is if I have no nitrates...won't dinoflagellates take over the tank? What can I do?

My thinking is use a piece of jumbo shrimp to produce ammonia, which will then be turned into nitrate, but keep the shrimp at the top part of the water so the worms won't get it. And then when I have to feed the living cbs I'll use a tweezer and direct feed him a piece of food.

Also how often should I do water changes on a fallowing tank?

Could this work?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assuming you have a small tank? I would not add shrimp - or anything else. I'm not sure you can get rid of the worms by not allowing food to for a couple of months (which I assume is your fallow period). I believe that 'starving' them tanks a longer period.

I'm sure you've seen the other thread - where people have tried fembendazole dips (which seemed to work).

I wonder how difficult it will be to keep them out - once you go through all the trouble.

As to the snails. (I hate to say it) - I would just leave the tank fallow, not add anything, and lower the light (some) - so your corralline sticks around. Your bacteria should stay ok for a couple months. Maintain the flow. If the snails do not make it - they are cheaply replaced. My guess they will do fine with no food.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The coral banded shrimp? I have a 125g tank.
OH - sorry - I thought you were adding a shrimp 'as food' for the bacteria in the tank and the CUC. I wasn't thinking about what CBS meant (I was thinking it was some type of snail). if it will come to the surface, you could use one of those floating feeders - like people use for discus - or as you mentioned - some kind of directed feeding towards the shrimp. I would not worry about the snails. Hope this helped!

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH - sorry - I thought you were adding a shrimp 'as food' for the bacteria in the tank and the CUC. I wasn't thinking about what CBS meant (I was thinking it was some type of snail). if it will come to the surface, you could use one of those floating feeders - like people use for discus - or as you mentioned - some kind of directed feeding towards the shrimp. I would not worry about the snails. Hope this helped!
Oh wait...So no water changes?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back