Favia and lighting question.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got a sector 9 favia awhile back from a friend, and it is doing okay, I have it about 3 or 4 inches away from a different favia. My primary question is about proper lighting and flow. The tank is 24 deep, and they are almost exactly mid tank height wise. Is this too close to the lights? The lights used are Hipargero 100 watt LED's. I don't really want to turn lights down as I also have some SPS in the same range of the tank. I do see the sector 9 starting to "spill" off of the frag plug and onto the live rock. If needed, can I still move it? Or will that tear where it is merging onto the live rock? I will try and get a pic when I get home. It's feeding response seems okay, but sometimes it does seem fuller than others, so I just want to do what is right.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got a sector 9 favia awhile back from a friend, and it is doing okay, I have it about 3 or 4 inches away from a different favia. My primary question is about proper lighting and flow. The tank is 24 deep, and they are almost exactly mid tank height wise. Is this too close to the lights? The lights used are Hipargero 100 watt LED's. I don't really want to turn lights down as I also have some SPS in the same range of the tank. I do see the sector 9 starting to "spill" off of the frag plug and onto the live rock. If needed, can I still move it? Or will that tear where it is merging onto the live rock? I will try and get a pic when I get home. It's feeding response seems okay, but sometimes it does seem fuller than others, so I just want to do what is right.
Also, they have both been in my tank for about 3 months, and the other looks very fluffy and healthy, where the sector 9 seems nowhere near as "fluffy"

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, they have both been in my tank for about 3 months, and the other looks very fluffy and healthy, where the sector 9 seems nowhere near as "fluffy"
Okay here is a pic of the sector 9 favia when I got home from work. How does it look to people in know about theses things?

Attachments

• IMG_6863.jpeg
    IMG_6863.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are some morning pics of the favia. Does anyone here know if they are okay where they are? So far no one has answered. Also, does anyone know the smaller favia is?

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpeg
    IMG_6867.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 32

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks hungry. It sounds like it's growing well so it's in a fine spot. Once it spreads onto other rocks, it may be difficult to break off.

Other favia looks similar to Mayan sun or convict but colors are hard to discern.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks hungry. It sounds like it's growing well so it's in a fine spot. Once it spreads onto other rocks, it may be difficult to break off.

Other favia looks similar to Mayan sun or convict but colors are hard to discern.
Thank you for your help. You say it looks hungry? I feed all my corals twice a week. I feed them zooplankton. Plus I add Phytoplankton a couple times a week for copepods. Is there something I should be doing different?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Benereef for powder food, but they can eat larger foods like small pieces of LRS Reef Frenzy. When it looks like the pic in post #3 with all the feeding tentacles out, it is looking for food.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Benereef for powder food, but they can eat larger foods like small pieces of LRS Reef Frenzy. When it looks like the pic in post #3 with all the feeding tentacles out, it is looking for food.
Ahh, yeah I do know that this one tends to do that right after I feed the fish, which is what happened there. To my understanding, that is a good sign? A coral that does not show a proper feeding response when food is put in the tank is not a good thing. But I am still learning about all corals as this is my first time having them.

Back