Fed up with wireless modules!

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Apex controller with quite a few modules and I have a Kessil A360X, which now REQUIRES a wireless connection. I'm using the dongle to control through Apex. Now, I will point out that I have had it connected and working right but it is constantly losing the connection and needs to be reconnected which is an incredibly frustrating endeavor.
I recently lost its connection due to an issue with my wi-fi Access Point. I replaced the AP and all my other wireless devices (tablets, phones) connect to the network. I went through all the steps to connect the wi-fi dongle, including "Through wireless router" and "connect directly via WiFi" and the dongle will not connect. I've used the QR code and also tried manually connecting my phone to the SSID of the dongle- nothing works.
This has basically been my experience every time I have had to reconnect after it loses its connection, but in the past, one of the methods has eventually worked, although generally after multiple attempts.
I have had more problems with this one wireless device that with ALL the other modules combined- by a factor of 20 or more!

BRING BACK A HARD-WIRED CONNECTION!

Allen

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My job issues us iPhones and lately my phone dumps calls, presumably trying to jump on my wifi instead of using the satellites or whatever wireless nonsense it's performing.

These things are like a kindergarten talent show. You might cry laughing or you just have to cry. I'm supposed to put in an IT ticket for my phone but they won't come to my teleworking site (home) so I am not going to bother.

reminds me I need to sign out for the day. BRB

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not rule out the router causing the issue. On my controller I had wifi strips that would loose communication with the controllers 2 or 3 times a week. They would normally reconnect on their own, but when the didn't could reboot the router and they would start working again. I was not sure what the actual cause was until I got a new car. The new car had a way to connect to the wifi so I set that up. Then every time I came home the wifi would be messing up. My wife said it would be until I came home. So I got a new router and it solved all the issues. I have had it for 2 months now and had no issues with the wifi devices dropping out on the controllers.

OP
OP
R

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not rule out the router causing the issue. On my controller I had wifi strips that would loose communication with the controllers 2 or 3 times a week. They would normally reconnect on their own, but when the didn't could reboot the router and they would start working again. I was not sure what the actual cause was until I got a new car. The new car had a way to connect to the wifi so I set that up. Then every time I came home the wifi would be messing up. My wife said it would be until I came home. So I got a new router and it solved all the issues. I have had it for 2 months now and had no issues with the wifi devices dropping out on the controllers.
I did rule out the router before my first post. I restarted the router as well as the wireless access points but that did not help.

OP
OP
R

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wireless modules make sense when a hard-wired connection isn't easy. The main instance that comes to mind is with cameras. All my modules are within 5 or 6 feet of the Apex controller. I have NO need for wireless. It irritates me that Kessil doesn't give the option of a wired connection to a 3rd party controller like Apex.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wireless modules make sense when a hard-wired connection isn't easy. The main instance that comes to mind is with cameras. All my modules are within 5 or 6 feet of the Apex controller. I have NO need for wireless. It irritates me that Kessil doesn't give the option of a wired connection to a 3rd party controller like Apex.
It does not have a 0-10v control input?

OP
OP
R

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have a 0-10v control input?
No. It would need way more than just a 0-10v input to take advantage of its features. It has 4 channels for different color LED's which can be independently adjusted with an external controller, when it actually connects.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I control my lights with 0-10v inputs there are 6 inputs for control. One for each red, blue, green, white, Royal blue and UV but it is a DIY light.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that most "IoT" type devices use the 2.4GHz band.

2.4GHz travels through walls and other structures very well. That said, there are a very limited number of channels. The combination of good propagation and narrow band mean lots of interference from everything else on 2.4GHz.

More problematic - not all WiFi chipsets and routers play nicely, especially in the 2.4GHz region. Small differences in expected settings and handshakes mean that some devices will just not be able to talk to each other.

IoT devices that are both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz capable present a whole different issue. If they can see both networks and both have the same SSID - the IoT devices will often hop back and forth from 2.4GHz to 5.0GHz based on signal strength and interference that comes and goes.

In the end you need to do a few things.

First, you may need to configure the 2.4GHz network advanced options and turn on/off handshake features (sadly, randomly) until you get a combination that works for all of your devices). Try a different channel as well.

Secondly, possibly try a different WifI router or access point brand.

If the IoT device is dual band capable, then you really need to build out an SSID on ONE or the OTHER bands for the device, so that it cant band flap.

Lastly - If all of your IoT devices are 2.4GHz ONLY - ignore anybody (person or tech support) who tells you that your 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz networks can't share the same SSID. A device with ONLY a 2.4GHz radio can't even see the 5.0GHZ network and visa-versa. The only devices that are problematic with shared SSIDs are devices that have BOTH 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz radios.

Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back