Feeding a snowflake eel

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines in a fowlr, so I haven't had this particular eel in with corals yet except a small zoa colony. They're no danger to coral though, plenty of people keep them in reefs. The main issue is they can knock over pieces that aren't firmly attached to the rock work. They're a lot stronger than you'd think, so even large colonies can get knocked over. As long as you can glue your coral down pretty solidly they'll be fine together. And with the eels thick slime coat, they're fairly well protected against even some of the strongest coral stings :)

Great! Thanks again for the awesome advice!

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost my eel this past weekend. After talking to several people they think it got backed up. I fed a variety of frozen food...Rods predator food and squid :( bummed. He was really cool.

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can give is to just pretend like you always had that new coral or fish lol.
Pipefish are awesome. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I'm pretty sure they're the same as keeping seahorses. There's not a lot you can keep with them unfortunately.

So I haven't got an eel yet but I bought a banded pipefish because they're better swimmers than other pipefish (so I read) and it's doing great.

No fish has shown any interest in it and it seems happy and is picking off pods on the live rocks. Hopefully it'll be happy in its new home. Anyway, here's a pic of the little guy

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408034522.354801.jpg

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed your post. How is she going? She looks nice!

She's been doing great! Getting a lot with all the fishes. It's been a week but looking very good so far!

Hoping to get a dragonface pipe at some point too.

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no! It's just picking off pods of the live rocks right now.

I've tried live mysis baby shrimps and brine eggs and it doesn't seem to be interested. Hopefully it will so I have one less problem to worry about!

pbnjtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had ours for about 6 months. My son had bought a bunch stuff, blended and froze it. The eel likes it even though they seem to be blind as a bat. He has consumed several clown fish and another small fish. The one clown remaining has managed to survive. I feed him every day if he comes up for food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back