Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start with Falkor...
Perfect name! ;-)

Great looking tank, of course!

I ordered Ken Wingerter's new book on coldwater aquariums because I figured it would be a good read.
I've been wondering if a cold-water tank would work, but have not had time to look into it (still learning warm-water). It would be awesome to be able to recreate some local dives at home!

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken you had 3 lions right? What happened to the dwarf?
Everything looks awesome. That eel is amazing.
Unfortunately, I have bad news about the dwarf zebra. I didn't want to ruin the update with the sad news and I'm really very bummed about it because he was my favorite fish. Unfortunately, Draco (the dwarf zebra lionfish) has passed away. He was my favorite lionfish and the biggest ham/character in the tank, so I took his loss really hard and haven't wanted to talk about it. It was awful because he was going great. He was the most active of the lionfish and always the most greedy about food. Then suddenly one day he just up and stopped eating. He went from being a pig to refusing to eat anything. I tried everything...I offered him my usual blend and PE mysis, then all the other frozen food I had including krill, which is like crack for fish. I even went and got live ghost shrimp for him again, but he wouldn't show any interest in anything at all. He started getting lethargic, but otherwise, there was no outward sign of disease and its not like I'd introduced any new fish right before he got sick which could have brought in a new pest. None of his tank mates were picking on him or anything either. I did a bunch of research and reading online and unfortunately found a bunch of info about dwarf zebras being delicate. I saw where people have kept them and they'll thrive for quite some time and then suddenly stop eating and waste away with no explanation. It seems like they're difficult to keep long term, but its not understood why. It was really sad to watch him waste away and I kept thinking he was in his last days, but this ended up dragging out for about the last two months. Finally, sometime earlier this week, he passed away. I was really upset about this because I was very attached to him, but I am glad he is no longer suffering. He will be missed :(

Yes, everything else is doing well, thank you! The eel is quite the character and he seems to be everyone's favorite!

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Perfect name! ;-)

Great looking tank, of course!

I've been wondering if a cold-water tank would work, but have not had time to look into it (still learning warm-water). It would be awesome to be able to recreate some local dives at home!
He's named after the luck dragon from The Neverending Story :) Glad you like it and thank you!

Cold water tanks are definitely doable, they just take a different set of equipment than tropical reef tanks. I think in some ways they're harder and in some ways they're easier. Mostly just different. I think the main issue with keeping them is that its hard to obtain livestock unless you live somewhere you can collect and have a collection permit. Coldwater Marine Aquatics used to sell livestock, but they closed down a while back. I'm not sure if there's a new vendor for coldwater livestock.

:) Thank you!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

He's named after the luck dragon from The Neverending Story :) Glad you like it and thank you!

Cold water tanks are definitely doable, they just take a different set of equipment than tropical reef tanks. I think in some ways they're harder and in some ways they're easier. Mostly just different. I think the main issue with keeping them is that its hard to obtain livestock unless you live somewhere you can collect and have a collection permit. Coldwater Marine Aquatics used to sell livestock, but they closed down a while back. I'm not sure if there's a new vendor for coldwater livestock.

:) Thank you!
I have that movie! Great movie!

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have bad news about the dwarf zebra. I didn't want to ruin the update with the sad news and I'm really very bummed about it because he was my favorite fish. Unfortunately, Draco (the dwarf zebra lionfish) has passed away. He was my favorite lionfish and the biggest ham/character in the tank, so I took his loss really hard and haven't wanted to talk about it. It was awful because he was going great. He was the most active of the lionfish and always the most greedy about food. Then suddenly one day he just up and stopped eating. He went from being a pig to refusing to eat anything. I tried everything...I offered him my usual blend and PE mysis, then all the other frozen food I had including krill, which is like crack for fish. I even went and got live ghost shrimp for him again, but he wouldn't show any interest in anything at all. He started getting lethargic, but otherwise, there was no outward sign of disease and its not like I'd introduced any new fish right before he got sick which could have brought in a new pest. None of his tank mates were picking on him or anything either. I did a bunch of research and reading online and unfortunately found a bunch of info about dwarf zebras being delicate. I saw where people have kept them and they'll thrive for quite some time and then suddenly stop eating and waste away with no explanation. It seems like they're difficult to keep long term, but its not understood why. It was really sad to watch him waste away and I kept thinking he was in his last days, but this ended up dragging out for about the last two months. Finally, sometime earlier this week, he passed away. I was really upset about this because I was very attached to him, but I am glad he is no longer suffering. He will be missed :(

Yes, everything else is doing well, thank you! The eel is quite the character and he seems to be everyone's favorite!

Ohhhh, so sorry to hear that. You would think ghost shrimp for sure would do it. Hope the other two are doing well and keep thriving

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh, so sorry to hear that. You would think ghost shrimp for sure would do it. Hope the other two are doing well and keep thriving
Yeah it was really frustrating because he looked and seemed perfectly happy and then one day just stopped eating. Yeah he wouldn't even show interest in the live food either. The other two lions are doing wonderfully and both seem to be thriving. The fu Manchu is about full grown and he eats well and is active and has good color. The antennas is really growing lately and she eats very well too.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And for the grand finale, a new video of the aquarium!

Amazing and thank you for the update! I am so sorry to hear about your loss as well. :(

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Somewhere I must have missed it but what's ur lighting. And does it support high demand sps. And u get mushu from Mulan??

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also had a dwarf zebra that I loved (Tuco). Like you said, he was super active and always begging for food. I had him eating off a fishing line tool I made and he would eat anything I put in front of him which is good so he had variety. I came home from work one day and he was sitting on a rock huffing and puffing away. An hour later he was gone. I was crushed. He was so active and eating the day before (and no I didn't overfeed him, he only ate 2-3 times a week). I still have no idea what happened.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...AMAZING. sorry for your loss. I might just have to start me up yet another tank....a Predator tank. I've always wanted a lionfish. VERY NICE SETUP!!!

Last edited:

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I feed the eel silversides, PE mysis, and frozen krill right now. I'm planning to start going to the seafood market and getting a variety of fresh seafood and then chopping it up into chunks and dividing into individual portions that I can freeze. I want to get more variety for the predators.
Had my snowflake since March he/she is about the same size hasn't grown much either. I feed him cut up pieces of raw shrimp by thongs and like you said they pretty much tell you when they are hungry! He will peak out from the rocks at feeding time for the other fish but unless he comes out about half way or more he won't take the shrimp. Trying some scallops on the half shell as well as mussels on the half shell purchased from Dr. Fosters & Smith. Pretty much have to remove the scallops and mussels from the shell and feed him like the shrimp by tongs otherwise all the other fish get into a feeding frenzy and devour the meat off the shell before he gets the scent of it in the tank. I had purchased a banded coral shrimp prior to the snowflake they usually occupy the same cave going to try a cleaner shrimp in there before I add a Niger trigger. Have added a Flame Hawk since and has not bothered the banded coral shrimp at all.

Last edited:

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous! There's nothing more beautiful than a masterful, well-kept reef system! Kudos to you for your obvious knowledge level, dedicated care regimen, and well thought out collection of animals. Simply stunning!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...AMAZING. sorry for your loss. I might just have to start me up yet another tank....a Predator tank. I've always wanted a lionfish. VERY NICE SETUP!!!

Lionfish are the best, for some reason they just seem delicate. Maybe it's just the dwarf ones. The volitans seem to have no issue overtaking the Caribbean.

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing and thank you for the update! I am so sorry to hear about your loss as well. :(
Thank you! And the update was long overdue! Glad to share :)

Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is never easy:(
Thank you for the kind words. It never is easy, but unfortunately its just part of this hobby.

Ok. Somewhere I must have missed it but what's ur lighting. And does it support high demand sps. And u get mushu from Mulan??
The light is a 27" Maxspect Razor fixture, and yes, it can support all types of corals. And yes, Mushu is names after the dragon from Mulan :)

I also had a dwarf zebra that I loved (Tuco). Like you said, he was super active and always begging for food. I had him eating off a fishing line tool I made and he would eat anything I put in front of him which is good so he had variety. I came home from work one day and he was sitting on a rock huffing and puffing away. An hour later he was gone. I was crushed. He was so active and eating the day before (and no I didn't overfeed him, he only ate 2-3 times a week). I still have no idea what happened.
Sorry to hear about, Tuco :( It seems like there must be some sort of health issue with dwarf zebras. Its always so frustrating when fish are doing so well and you have no idea what happened. It makes it hard not to be able to do something or to know what went wrong.

Thank you! Lionfish and eels really are wonderful fish. I'd recommend a predator tank to anyone. :)

Had my snowflake since March he/she is about the same size hasn't grown much either. I feed him cut up pieces of raw shrimp by thongs and like you said they pretty much tell you when they are hungry! He will peak out from the rocks at feeding time for the other fish but unless he comes out about half way or more he won't take the shrimp. Trying some scallops on the half shell as well as mussels on the half shell purchased from Dr. Fosters & Smith. Pretty much have to remove the scallops and mussels from the shell and feed him like the shrimp by tongs otherwise all the other fish get into a feeding frenzy and devour the meat off the shell before he gets the scent of it in the tank. I had purchased a banded coral shrimp prior to the snowflake they usually occupy the same cave going to try a cleaner shrimp in there before I add a Niger trigger. Have added a Flame Hawk since and has not bothered the banded coral shrimp at all.
Falkor didn't seem to grow that much at first and then his growth just sort of exploded exponentially. They're such fascinating fish. Glad to hear your eel is so well behaved and getting along with his tank mates!

Absolutely gorgeous! There's nothing more beautiful than a masterful, well-kept reef system! Kudos to you for your obvious knowledge level, dedicated care regimen, and well thought out collection of animals. Simply stunning!
Thank you so much! That means a lot coming from someone with "SPS Junky" as their screen name considering my tank is mostly softies. Thank you so much for the kind words! I really am flattered! :)

I am impressed!!
Thank you!!! :)

Lionfish are the best, for some reason they just seem delicate. Maybe it's just the dwarf ones. The volitans seem to have no issue overtaking the Caribbean.
Lionfish are actually really hardy fish, but I think there may just be some sort of health issues with dwarf zebras. Dwarf fuzzies are very hardy from what I hear, so I don't think its an issue with the other dwarf species.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome name. I got his as I love mushu. And I'm a dragon in Chinese zod. I am the power full the pleasurable the indistuctable mushu!!!!! Love eddy in it. Prolly my fac disney from that ara. Of disney a very under published movie. But I love that name :)))

image.jpg

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome name. I got his as I love mushu. And I'm a dragon in Chinese zod. I am the power full the pleasurable the indistuctable mushu!!!!! Love eddy in it. Prolly my fac disney from that ara. Of disney a very under published movie. But I love that name :)))

image.jpg
Thank you! I'm also a Dragon in the Chinese Zodiac :) Mulan is a great Disney movie. I love the song, "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan. Very catch! I saw the fu manchu and he just reminded me of Mushu with his red color and mustache.

I love this tank. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back