VFC (Venomous Fish Club)

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B5935AB9-FD4E-4212-A815-930053DAED6D.jpeg

I’ve had this citron clown goby (Gobiodon citrinus) in quarantine for a while which has toxic mucus (so I guess it's more poisonous than venomous).
@srcleary do you still have your stingrays?
I still have Blue Spot Kuhlii. It’s been a challenge. I had three the first time. One wouldn’t eat and then one had its tail bitten off and died of the stress. Assume it was a shark by accident.

so that left one.

I ordered three more. Have been working with them for nearly 2 months. One is doing great. One is eating pretty well and one wouldn’t eat and died the other day.

Hopefully the three I have now will do well. I’ll leave them in their temp 300g tub until the new tank is ready.

they are my favorites! Two of them I hand feed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have Blue Spot Kuhlii. It’s been a challenge. I had three the first time. One wouldn’t eat and then one had its tail bitten off and died of the stress. Assume it was a shark by accident.

so that left one.

I ordered three more. Have been working with them for nearly 2 months. One is doing great. One is eating pretty well and one wouldn’t eat and died the other day.

Hopefully the three I have now will do well. I’ll leave them in their temp 300g tub until the new tank is ready.

they are my favorites! Two of them I hand feed.
Do you have any photos of them? The Blue Spot Kuhuli is a beautiful species of ray.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sole venomous fish. I picked him up last week and he's in quarantine until December.
20221105_171407.jpg

Its fun watching how much his colors and patterns shift with his moods.
20221107_174108.jpg
He looks tiny! How big is he?

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Those are beautiful fish but the group shot looks like something out of the mind of Stephen King. LOL Perfect for Halloween. I have a tiny Coral Croucher scorp. He's one of my favs in the tank. I would love to have more but my tank is just a 5g. I think the pygmy rooster waspfish would be great but is probably still a wee bit too big for my tank.
I have a spotted coral croucher in quarantine awaiting shipment to me. Really wanted this fish and it was hard to find!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spotted coral croucher in quarantine awaiting shipment to me. Really wanted this fish and it was hard to find!
They are super cool fish! What size is your tank? They're tiny and cryptic and shy so if you have a large tank you might not see him too often. My tank is only a 5g and my guy can still disappear. Usually under the rocks or into a crevice or hidey hole. They usually pick one spot and never move. Food has to come to them. I target feed my guy plus I have pods in the tank.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are super cool fish! What size is your tank? They're tiny and cryptic and shy so if you have a large tank you might not see him too often. My tank is only a 5g and my guy can still disappear. Usually under the rocks or into a crevice or hidey hole. They usually pick one spot and never move. Food has to come to them. I target feed my guy plus I have pods in the tank.
40gal breeder. I have pods and am raising baby brine shrimp. all fish in the tank stay under 3 inches. Lots of rock and corals and nems.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40gal breeder. I have pods and am raising baby brine shrimp. all fish in the tank stay under 3 inches. Lots of rock and corals and nems.
Nice! I also feed live baby brine shrimp along with the pods. I target feed frozen bloodworms and mysis. Take a pic once you get yours. :)

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos of them? The Blue Spot Kuhuli is a beautiful species of ray.
I lost another today. So frustrating.
Here’s a few pics of my female. I’ll leave the male in QT for a while. He’s eating but only mysis right now. Need to get him on other seafood.
6DC00573-3AC1-4066-A1B3-8894A965EF50.jpeg
49A8BA05-8478-4B19-8698-AEC0C1A3C4CA.jpeg
D3E81A32-CF72-47E2-B5E3-385924602E8F.jpeg
7A8CA8F6-E8BC-4D5B-AD83-A59AAD6C1385.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time!

Amazing tank and fish! I love how the hippo tang is trying to eat the ghost shrimp as well. For people who just want one or two predatory fish, do you recommend just dumping a hundred or so ghost shrimp in at once and letting the fish eat them over a period of several weeks? I would imagine that this could cause issues with the fish overeating, but it seems like a way to keep predatory fish without the need for frequent live feedings and maintaining a feeder tank. Thank you!

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank and fish! I love how the hippo tang is trying to eat the ghost shrimp as well. For people who just want one or two predatory fish, do you recommend just dumping a hundred or so ghost shrimp in at once and letting the fish eat them over a period of several weeks? I would imagine that this could cause issues with the fish overeating, but it seems like a way to keep predatory fish without the need for frequent live feedings and maintaining a feeder tank. Thank you!
I feed a 2-3 hundred ghost shrimp in one setting every weekend and they last less than 10 minutes. I do have quite a lot of mouthes to feed though! It might work if you had less fish but scorpionfish are VERY greedy!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a tonne on my Insta - things_with_stings_reef and here’s a few on Youtube from the last tank:

These are cool videos! I would love to have a waspfish. I think there is a tiny one called the rooster waspfish/pygmy waspfish that would be fine in my tank and with my coral crouchers but I haven't been able to find one yet here in Canada.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back