filter sock makes skimmer crazy

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After washing the 4" filter socks in the washing machine for 2 to 3 times without any soap, just water only. I let them dried and place them in the sump. Every time I do this the skimmer goes crazy and will not skim for 6 hours. Could you please let me know what is going on? Is it the material is polypropelene instead Polyester? Thanks

Should I use a little bit of bleach?

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After washing the 4" filter socks in the washing machine for 2 to 3 times without any soap, just water only. I let them dried and place them in the sump. Every time I do this the skimmer goes crazy and will not skim for 6 hours. Could you please let me know what is going on? Is it the material is polypropelene instead Polyester? Thanks

Use a little soap. Plain water does not seem to be removing the sudsy chemical.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see what good the filter sock does in my tank however it is right beside the skimmer and does not effect it. Are you adjusting the air mixture when you clean the skimmer? I had the same problem when I did. Now I don't touch the mixer. Just clean it and put it back. Now the skimmer starts right away

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try just rinsing them in the tub, as a test.
If no skimmer problems, then likely residual soap or softener in the washer.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wash the socks with a 1/4 cup of bleach. Cold water, deep rinse if you got it and on small load.
Let air dry. This should not affect your skimmer at all.
No soap, please!
thank you very much. Bleach worked. The skimmer works much better than before.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much. Bleach worked. The skimmer works much better than before.
Great news - unless you have your own washing machine for the reef tank, your spouse may violently object to the idea of washing those filthy socks before a load of towels, or kids' clothes, in my case! I've switched over to disposable filter floss in a media basket. Filter socks are used to suck out detritus and blast with a garden hose outside afterward.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash mine in washing machine, adding a bit of bleach.I use long program and extra rinsing. Try to Choose a day when your wife is going shopping.
Otherwise, just rinse them in tap water, soak in a bleach solution for several hours and rinse thoroughly again.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Diaper disposable filter socks are another option. They are inexpensive, easy to use and you get a perfectly clean filter sock every time. Click on the link below for more information and let me know if you have any questions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back