Finally turned on lights. Good and bad news

Leo95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned my lights on for the first time on my 150 gallon system (120 DT + 30 Sump). Got my Kessil AP9X hooked up and set.

As soon as lights turned on, my female bluethroat Trigger came out of hiding. She'd been squeezing herself between the return nozzle and the glass in the back of the tank since I got her over a month ago. She'd swim when no humans were around but as soon as she'd sense footsteps she'd zip right back. Lights kicked on and she swam freely and happily, even with my arms right over the tank adjusting the light.

Also, my newly added Green BTA was loving the lights, his bubble tips increased in size and coloration was so much better after just a couple hours.

Bad news: foxface was extremely stressed out when the lights came on. First he hid under a rock and turned to his camouflage color, then his color got back to normal and he swam around frantically. He slowed down eventually but boy is that foxface a wuss. Gets scared of everything. Also noticed a couple of brownish scratches on one of his sides, definitely didn't look like black ick but something I'll want to keep an eye on.

Anyways, long post I know but man was I excited and just wanted to share.

Happy reefing!

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned my lights on for the first time on my 150 gallon system (120 DT + 30 Sump). Got my Kessil AP9X hooked up and set.

As soon as lights turned on, my female bluethroat Trigger came out of hiding. She'd been squeezing herself between the return nozzle and the glass in the back of the tank since I got her over a month ago. She'd swim when no humans were around but as soon as she'd sense footsteps she'd zip right back. Lights kicked on and she swam freely and happily, even with my arms right over the tank adjusting the light.

Also, my newly added Green BTA was loving the lights, his bubble tips increased in size and coloration was so much better after just a couple hours.

Bad news: foxface was extremely stressed out when the lights came on. First he hid under a rock and turned to his camouflage color, then his color got back to normal and he swam around frantically. He slowed down eventually but boy is that foxface a wuss. Gets scared of everything. Also noticed a couple of brownish scratches on one of his sides, definitely didn't look like black ick but something I'll want to keep an eye on.

Happy reefing!
Sounds like early success. Hopefully there isn’t much ugly stage on your tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy reefing!
Fish use the lights just as we do. It tells them when to sleep, eat, etc. Foxfaces are really skittish like that. I wouldn’t worry too much

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back