OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add that I think the internet is our friend this time around and we need to use it for all it is worth. Kids are addicted to social media, as are 1/2 of adults. Lots of good pictures of the specific fish/animals in question and an ACCURATE and easy to understand explanation of what those animals need, apart and/or together would be VERY useful to get going around fb. There are enough people out there who remember the Nemo nightmare who will want to help spread it around. Including information about over fishing for the aquarium hobby, the destruction of our reefs, and responsible fish keeping and aquaculture will only add to the benefits. Everyone has a chance right now to save a life!

Along the lines of what this person said, is anyone into making graphics that can come up with something simple and to the point such as what you see in the graphic posted above from Bdog4u2 and then we can all post this on facebook. I bet it would spread like wildfire and it would really educate a lot of parents. I really think this is a great idea and would work.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this in another thread, but what if they don't go for Dory? What about they still go for nemo? Both those fish need to be on the bill. Dory's not appropriate? Oh look, there's a small cute nemo without a warning. PERFECT! They're cheap, go in small tanks and are still very much a star.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this in another thread, but what if they don't go for Dory? What about they still go for nemo? Both those fish need to be on the bill. Dory's not appropriate? Oh look, there's a small cute nemo without a warning. PERFECT! They're cheap, go in small tanks and are still very much a star.

You are absolutely right, we need to come up with a generic advertisement/logo. You ever see those "look out for motorcycle" bumper stickers and yard signs? This hobby needs to come up with something seriously. And i dont think there is anything wrong with doing that on all levels and no matter what you believe. If you are in this hobby then you should be responsible.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing about this hippo tang is that it is literally a ICH magnet. I know from personal experience. Pet stores really should just consider not even making this fish available for purchase for this very reason but only to advanced reefers. A pet store can figure out someones experience level by asking a few questions. However, from my experience and at my local fish store in boardman ohio, they dont care about the fish only the sale. One time i purchased a starfish that was not reef safe, i found out after i made the purchase, i called them and basically said "what the heck" and they said "if you dont ask if its reef safe then we wont tell". Exact words. So its really hard to do if the fish store isnt on board either.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome, really.

And i'd like to know where i can get a complete 180 gallon setup "for up to $1000". LOL
I buy them used for around this, my 180 acrylic was 1500 with everything including coral rock and livestock. Glass I see for about 1000 every few months. But yeah let's be honest most 180 cost several thousand dollars, I think my first 180 had 1/3 used equipment, and a free stand and canopy (wedding gift) and notwithstanding livestock I had $4000-$5000. That did include sand, rocks, and all equipment, a used sump, and used skimmer!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.khou.com/mb/news/concern-finding-dory-will-hurt-blue-tang/237575229#

Nothing wrong to reach out and educate the ppl before a impulse purchase.
I'm glad this is getting around. Poor Dory! My yellow belly is so special to me it kills me to know that many others are just dying around me. Probably true of most tangs though, especially acanthurus. The powder blue in my upstairs 180 is constantly confused for "Dory", talk about a difficult fish these make keeping hippo tangs look like a walk in the park!

I imagine all tangs will see a demand increase, the general tang shape (thin and round from the side) will become even more iconic. I must admit that Angels and tangs got me in to the hobby. Once here, I fell in love with wrasse equally as much. Such an under sung group of fish, so very underrated and much easier to keep (by and large) than most tangs and Angels.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back