Finding Dory Petition to educate the audience

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even sure how to go about doing this but I think it would be a good thing if we can somehow get “virtual” signatures together to produce a petition that can be delivered to the makers of the new film “Finding Dory”. I believe that it would be a wonderful thing if at the beginning or end of the movie they would give a 10 second clip on educating the audience on keeping these fish as pets. Once this movie comes out you know all fish stores are going to sell out quickly of the Hippo and Yellow tang along with the Clown. People who don’t understand the hobby will buy a Dory that is only an inch long and put it in a 10 or 20 gallon tank and thing everything is okay without realizing just how big these fish get. The clown is not so much of a problem but most definitely the tangs. Even if they just said something quickly such as “If you plan to have Dory and Bubbles as pets please educate yourself before purchasing and only put these fish in their recommended tank sizes”. I think something as simple as that would go a long way.

I recently purchased a 72 gallon tank in December that was already existing and had a full setup. It included 2 fish, a hippo tang and yellow tang and being that I was new to the hobby I didn’t realize that the tank itself is incredibly too small for these fish and soon I will be wondering what to do with them.

I have been listening to a lot of the “Reef Threads” lately (www.reefthreads.com) and there has been a lot of talk on this subject. I just figured maybe we can try to do something and educate people because no matter what, most LFS will allow the transaction to take place. Maybe we can get the folks from Reef Threads to get on board with this as well and mention it on the show.

If you are on board with this then why don’t we use this thread to collaborate on how to best tackle this situation and after just start a clean thread and have the actual petition? Or simply state that you want signed up.

I’m not here to start a big debate, be negative, or argue. I think this is a legitimate concern, Hawaii is already having a problem with their reefs where the yellow tang is being over fished which is allowing algae to form on all the coral. The problem is that the yellow tang usually cleans up those coral and takes care of the algae.

This exact post has been posted at another forum as well to get the the word out.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
normally I don't jump on any trains but that one is actually well thought out. regs are against us always, consider HI for ex

when I first read the title I thought it was a boycott of the movie and I remembered how much we liked the first one. a sensible do-over as no slant to the movie but educational.. infobreak- is something different and still leaves movie integrity in place.

Last edited:

Angler and Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude it is a movie. Do you also want disclaimers for movies that have smoking, drinking, sex, fast driving, guns or anything else that someone might not like. I for one won't sign it.

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude it is a movie. Do you also want disclaimers for movies that have smoking, drinking, sex, fast driving, guns or anything else that someone might not like. I for one won't sign it.

It is a movie that very realistically kids will see and say to their parents they want a tang for a pet and then the parents would go to the fish store and the big chain store not caring about the fish will just sell them what they can knowing a tang in a fish bowl will be miserable. This isn't about things that people will not like... it is about being humane and making sure people are conscience of their decisions when it comes to buying a living thing. I support the idea.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously missed the point here it has nothing to do with what people like ...It has everything to do with the overfishing and uniformed reef keepers ...we simply are trying to prevent a mass hit on a fish that is still wild caught so that maybe years down the road can enjoy them as well and also the misinformed reef keeper who just as the op stated buys a tiny blue tang throws in a 10 gal tank and months later has a fish to big for its environment leaving people with a fish to big for a tank and dont know what to do with it....these kind of movies entice people to get into the saltwater hobby uniformed of whats involved and ends up badly usually for the fish .....furthermore the op stated this not meant to be an argument or debate so if you did not care to participate my friend please keep such opinions elsewhere.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am against hype wagons and fear etc

the only reason I thought it was smart was that there was a measurable effect on clownfish sales, articles about that, after the last movie. my own LFS owner told me about the lasting rush for clowns, many died and were repeat buys next mo.

I think its less of a movie hype thing than it is a thing of eco conservation, some choose to champion that and some don't. I usually don't. but in this case I can see if someone finds responsibility in heading off the next round, from 100% ocean harvested fish this time (clowns are comparatively disposable ecologically, aka goldfish at the fair volume) I cant see that bad.

sorry to equate clowns with goldfish in cups at fairs, but there are that many avail they are never going to be in danger again. tangs, not so much. a rush on that mode indeed would catch eyes by heavy handed regs possibly, places like Hawaii are already stressin

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chances of getting a lead in at the movie is zero pct. they'll fear loss of movie $$

but social media? we're in control. ya'll go to town, your best hope.

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is the LFS that should be educated. The LFS owners should be the ones educating the customer. We have a few good LFS's here in SoCal and I have witnessed them asking for info about the customers tank prior to selling them livestock. The problem is I have also witnessed LFS's sell items knowing darn well the hobbyist has a problem going on in their tank. Some care some don't.

It's no different than the LFS's that complain about Tanked and customers coming in thinking they can set up and stock a tank in 40 mins because they saw it on TV. I tell them that it is their job to break it to them that Superman can't fly!

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reefing when finding nemo came out. The same worry happened then. While yes, some lfs sold 10 gallon systems for nemo fish... most didn't! And the limiting factor wasn't even that, but when people found out what the initial cost of setting up a salty tank was they usually didn't do it.

I wouldn't sign it simply because its unnecessary

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that puts retail owners in a hard place...profit boons come and go in retail and that'll be a big one. it would be exactly like my bank making us tell every customer who signed up for mortgages/equity loans 1999-2006 "hey you better watch out something bad is coming soon" don't sign this, don't take your money to Tahiti.

The people lined up around the block to self leverage

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic but, the problem with most of the problems in this world is that most people sit back and let it happen or don't voice their concern. Sure, getting enough people to sign a petition, then trying to contact the movie maker, then having someone at that office try to convince someone who makes millions to put a 30-sec blip in the movie sounds like a impossible task. But, you have to try. I know of other movies I have seen in the past this very thing did happen and that's how I got the idea.

I think it's a real possibility, i don't see anything wrong with trying to do it. Imagine Ellen, the voice of Dory, shows up just at the end of the movie and spends 20-30 seconds talking about responsible fish keeping. And you know who this is really going to effect and make the most impact? The kids. If the kids hear that a hippo tang shouldn't be in a 20 gallon tank, they won't let the parents do it! I know when I yell at my kids (i have 4) for doing something wrong but then I turn around and do it a few days later, they call me out on it and yell at me!

If anyone thinks this is stupid or if you don't agree with it, then don't agree with it. It's going to happen if we let it and if we don't try to stop it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
note to self

don't take small children to D Copperfield show, its for not small children. I duly noted that in 2007, right after me and a nine year old went to one. I totally assumed it was for kids dang it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're trying to figure out a way to be proactive as a community here at R2R. This is a great thread and let's put a plan together.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have a choice if you want to smoke, drink, have sex, drive fast or shoot guns or even do all at once :)
Fish such as tangs have no choice about being thrown into a 10g glass box and most likely not cared for just because kids saw the film and want a Dory.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back