Finding Dory Petition to educate the audience

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this.
A 10 to 30 second spot in each theater will cost millions.(no it really does) Is that money well spent? Can you do something better with it?

People do consider fish disposable(yes its true) and will plunk down big bucks on fish and a tank and then watch it die. Thats amerka'. we do what we want. We can even buy the fish cigarettes and a gun. or pellet food.
Is that bad for wild caught fish? yes. Is the costco dumpster after fish days a bigger impact on the ecosystem and the question of over fishing? yup.
Will Disney take a political stance on fish husbandry and over-fishing? hmmm
And they spend Millions to help?

Should we perhaps first or simultaneously analyze our own hypocrisy in the use of soft words like Mariculture. And stop buying animals we know will die in captivity. Blueberry gorgonian etc, and animals that are being live caught on the worlds endangered reefs so we can desperately try to keep them alive?

If you believe in global warming(our fault or not) then you should also believe we are killing our ocean by over-fishing and this hobby has part in that..
So
Is that money well spent? Can you do something better with it?
And will it result in the loss of the killer whale programs at sea world?( I personally believe we need zoo's.)
I personally would be just fine with "boring" captive raised fish and aquaculture corals if it staves of the "Rise of Slime" as Dr Jeremy Jackson so frighteningly puts it..

If you can put together a brutally honest approach Id be all in.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do all of those thing everyone recommended for sure but this thread needs to get more attention and we actually need to have a conversation to get all the facts.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do all of those thing everyone recommended for sure but this thread needs to get more attention and we actually need to have a conversation to get all the facts.
So what will you do if Disney decides to get behind your cause? What if they just take it a step further and declare that fish should not live in glass boxes at all. Can we all imagine what Snorkel Bob would do to this industry if he had the financial backing of a company like Disney. I guess that gives a whole new meaning to "People in glass houses shouldn't cast stones!"

Like I said before. Educate the LFS's and they in turn will educate the hobbyist.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy more Aquaculture fish and they will invest in it and it will become cheaper. keep buying fish from the ocean because its cheaper now and we will keep doing it.

stupidted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know maybe if we as a group contacted Disney and politely suggested such a disclaimer they would understand and be proactive. Another idea is to spread the word to our local fish stores and see if they could help in the cause by being adamant on making sure potential buyers are educated on the needs of tangs and other fish that are being purchased for children. It's far fetched but ideas with action turn into results. Thanks for starting the thread.

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea, but still are other shows out there with professional guys building and populating tanks in a single afternoon. I lost all of my arguments in front of my wife as she saw some tv shows (we all know them) how a saltwater tank is populated from first day and I needed half year to add the last fish it. No cycle, no live rock, no ... nothing we try so hard to do normally, those guys dont do. And is not a cartoon movie, it is a serious show made by super pro.... and lot of people believe them.
My daughters asked for Dori, of course... But then we went to a public aquarium and they saw how big grows and they were able to imagine themselves living all their life in a small bathroom. Since then, probably even if I would like to buy one they will not allow me :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea, but still are other shows out there with professional guys building and populating tanks in a single afternoon. I lost all of my arguments in front of my wife as she saw some tv shows (we all know them) how a saltwater tank is populated from first day and I needed half year to add the last fish it. No cycle, no live rock, no ... nothing we try so hard to do normally, those guys dont do. And is not a cartoon movie, it is a serious show made by super pro.... and lot of people believe them.
My daughters asked for Dori, of course... But then we went to a public aquarium and they saw how big grows and they were able to imagine themselves living all their life in a small bathroom. Since then, probably even if I would like to buy one they will not allow me :)
We will both have to wait for our 10,000 gallon tank!

You never know maybe if we as a group contacted Disney and politely suggested such a disclaimer they would understand and be proactive. Another idea is to spread the word to our local fish stores and see if they could help in the cause by being adamant on making sure potential buyers are educated on the needs of tangs and other fish that are being purchased for children. It's far fetched but ideas with action turn into results. Thanks for starting the thread.

You might be interested in this discussion.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/domestically-bred.234169/#post-2730353

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I won this argument with mine. Told her they were making an entertaining television show, and accepted fish loss as part of it. We don't accept fish loss, if we can help it, part of that is slow, appropriate stocking.

A clip on the movie showing these fishes in an aquarium and their size, habitat needs could accomplish the same thing you did for your kids. Not all kids get to go to an aquarium and see this, be it too far away, too expensive, or not have the livestock we are discussing, .

Edit to add: Disney already has a shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon with a school of Blue Tangs that you snorkel across, they could tie the whole educational part in with advertising their theme park.. The already mention Dory in reference to this attraction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what will you do if Disney decides to get behind your cause? What if they just take it a step further and declare that fish should not live in glass boxes at all. Can we all imagine what Snorkel Bob would do to this industry if he had the financial backing of a company like Disney. I guess that gives a whole new meaning to "People in glass houses shouldn't cast stones!"

Like I said before. Educate the LFS's and they in turn will educate the hobbyist.

I understand what you are saying and it's a valid concern and thats why I am trying to get people such as yourself to comment in this thread to come up with all the negatives and positives then come up with a plan to attack it. I can't do anything until that happens.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then we went to a public aquarium and they saw how big grows and they were able to imagine themselves living all their life in a small bathroom. Since then, probably even if I would like to buy one they will not allow me :)

That is exactly what I want to happen and I KNOW it will happen for a lot of kids. Young kids care about these things more than most people know. They want to get involved and help make things better.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even sure how to go about doing this but I think it would be a good thing if we can somehow get “virtual” signatures together to produce a petition that can be delivered to the makers of the new film “Finding Dory”. I believe that it would be a wonderful thing if at the beginning or end of the movie they would give a 10 second clip on educating the audience on keeping these fish as pets. Once this movie comes out you know all fish stores are going to sell out quickly of the Hippo and Yellow tang along with the Clown. People who don’t understand the hobby will buy a Dory that is only an inch long and put it in a 10 or 20 gallon tank and thing everything is okay without realizing just how big these fish get. The clown is not so much of a problem but most definitely the tangs. Even if they just said something quickly such as “If you plan to have Dory and Bubbles as pets please educate yourself before purchasing and only put these fish in their recommended tank sizes”. I think something as simple as that would go a long way.

I recently purchased a 72 gallon tank in December that was already existing and had a full setup. It included 2 fish, a hippo tang and yellow tang and being that I was new to the hobby I didn’t realize that the tank itself is incredibly too small for these fish and soon I will be wondering what to do with them.

I have been listening to a lot of the “Reef Threads” lately (www.reefthreads.com) and there has been a lot of talk on this subject. I just figured maybe we can try to do something and educate people because no matter what, most LFS will allow the transaction to take place. Maybe we can get the folks from Reef Threads to get on board with this as well and mention it on the show.

If you are on board with this then why don’t we use this thread to collaborate on how to best tackle this situation and after just start a clean thread and have the actual petition? Or simply state that you want signed up.

I’m not here to start a big debate, be negative, or argue. I think this is a legitimate concern, Hawaii is already having a problem with their reefs where the yellow tang is being over fished which is allowing algae to form on all the coral. The problem is that the yellow tang usually cleans up those coral and takes care of the algae.

This exact post has been posted at another forum as well to get the the word out.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and would be happy to sign...seems to me that a club this big would have some "juice" in Hollywood...are the people from the "Tanked" TV show members?...I'm sure that they wold be happy to listen and help...by the way, how far has this movie project along?...Remember what happened when "101 Dalmatians" came out, everyone got a dalmatian and lots of kids were bitten and lots of dogs ended up dead...good luck...:eek:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even sure how to go about doing this but I think it would be a good thing if we can somehow get “virtual” signatures together to produce a petition that can be delivered to the makers of the new film “Finding Dory”. I believe that it would be a wonderful thing if at the beginning or end of the movie they would give a 10 second clip on educating the audience on keeping these fish as pets. Once this movie comes out you know all fish stores are going to sell out quickly of the Hippo and Yellow tang along with the Clown. People who don’t understand the hobby will buy a Dory that is only an inch long and put it in a 10 or 20 gallon tank and thing everything is okay without realizing just how big these fish get. The clown is not so much of a problem but most definitely the tangs. Even if they just said something quickly such as “If you plan to have Dory and Bubbles as pets please educate yourself before purchasing and only put these fish in their recommended tank sizes”. I think something as simple as that would go a long way.

I recently purchased a 72 gallon tank in December that was already existing and had a full setup. It included 2 fish, a hippo tang and yellow tang and being that I was new to the hobby I didn’t realize that the tank itself is incredibly too small for these fish and soon I will be wondering what to do with them.

I have been listening to a lot of the “Reef Threads” lately (www.reefthreads.com) and there has been a lot of talk on this subject. I just figured maybe we can try to do something and educate people because no matter what, most LFS will allow the transaction to take place. Maybe we can get the folks from Reef Threads to get on board with this as well and mention it on the show.

If you are on board with this then why don’t we use this thread to collaborate on how to best tackle this situation and after just start a clean thread and have the actual petition? Or simply state that you want signed up.

I’m not here to start a big debate, be negative, or argue. I think this is a legitimate concern, Hawaii is already having a problem with their reefs where the yellow tang is being over fished which is allowing algae to form on all the coral. The problem is that the yellow tang usually cleans up those coral and takes care of the algae.

This exact post has been posted at another forum as well to get the the word out.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent a message to the Reef Threads guys to view this thread and if they choose to get involved anyway then we will see.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends on R2R!

Today is my son's 17th Birthday and I don't have a whole lot of time but I wanted to chime in and add a different perspective and share a little of what I know behind the scenes. We have been fortunate to work with many researchers who are part of Rising Tide Conservation, which is a collective group of marine biologists working to further advance captive breeding efforts. Their blog is here: http://risingtideconservation.blogspot.com

You may recall the G. personatus, yellow tangs, melanurus wrasses and other publicized "breakthroughs" in our hobby over the past couple of years. Currently, the University of Florida's Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory in Ruskin, FL has a project well under way which involves captive breeding blue tangs. Kevin Barden is the researcher spearheading the project and I made a post about it last year when it was discussed at the Marine Breeders Initiative. On a personal note, LRS has been providing food to the lab in Florida and Kevin's feedback has been instrumental in helping us finalize the Fertility Frenzy food which the blue tangs are feeding on daily. Broodstock diet is one facet which has been tweaked a few times in an effort to help get the juvenile tangs to "settlement" soon and past bottlenecks during the grow out phase.

This was the post from July, 2015 about the blue tang project if anyone missed it: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...tangs-an-update-from-the-mbi-workshop.208436/

Kevin shared with me that the program to captive breed the blue tangs is the highest funded Seaworld conservation fund to date, which EXCEEDS even elephant research and polar bears. Charitable donations from donors INCLUDING Disney are funding this project to better advance captive breeding efforts on a wide spread basis.

We can debate all day long about the potential good or bad the next movie release can have on the hobby. Some say it will help the stores by increasing sales and new foot traffic, while others fear it will cause unnecessary fish loses. I would like to think the movie will help the fish stores with traffic and the staff will direct the new hobbyist to start with a species less delicate than a blue tang.

As a manufacturer I just wanted to add my $.02 and let you know some details about the projects underway which have the support of many donors outside of our hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats for your insight and update larry.

Well, I sent Reef Threads a message and also included a question unrelated to what we are discussing in this thread. They talked about my unrelated question in the podcast but did not mention anything about this thread so I think it's safe to say they want to stay out of it..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back