Finding Dory Petition to educate the audience

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about what we think is right or wrong, or agreeing or disagreeing with people's choices. It's about educating and reaching those people that may not find that knowledge before it's too late (for an animal, fish, etc.). I myself am new to this forum (love it by the way) and hobby, and before I really started spending time reading here, I had my mind made up on certain fish that would go into my tank regardless of cost (it may take a long while but I wanted them). The work and upkeep wasn't a problem, and the cost wasn't a problem. What WAS the problem is that many were the wrong size and temperament for my tank. Had I not researched and read your threads of people talking about purchasing fish and their comparability, I would have not known. So, thanks to you all, I now know what is best. And that's all because of the knowledge you shared and the time you all take to teach me and others. That's what this thread is about...reaching out to new people and introducing them the Correct way to this wonderful hobby..

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I noticed about the first "Nemo" film (among many - those animators really paid attention!) was a moment of anti-aquarium propaganda: "Fish shouldn't live in a box, kid ... it does things to ya." ~Gill

I do think that it's a great idea to apply both enticements and cautions when discussing fishkeeping with interested folks, but don't know how much they're going to listen to a couple-second blurb attached to the film. (If not in theatres, then perhaps as an "extra" on the DVD/Blu-Ray?)

~Bruce

Fourthwind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who want help will seek it. Sites like this and others are a great resource if properly utilised. I can tell you after years working at a lfs and at an aquarium, that Ron White is correct. You can't fix stupid. Movies only influence those who cannot think for themselves. Jmho

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I noticed about the first "Nemo" film (among many - those animators really paid attention!) was a moment of anti-aquarium propaganda: "Fish shouldn't live in a box, kid ... it does things to ya." ~Gill

This is a really good point. I totally agree (with your bringing this up that is)

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea! After going to school for four years to breed ornamental fish you'll notice an increase in importing clownfish directly after the first Finding Nemo movie came out. I'm incredibly worried for the impact this movie is going to happen on our reefs. Breeding clownfish is a much easier task than hippo tangs and its not going to be successfully done on a commercial scale for a long while and it might be too late by then. I know professors from my school and some public aquariums have urged large corporations to watch the things they say in their films or advertisements because they have impacts in the real world. I'm sure members of public aquariums, lfs, forums like this, and the marine breeding initiative forum could successfully form some sort of psa to prevent the overfishing of this species or trying to ensure they have the appropriate home.

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear a lot of people saying this is great and other people saying this is dumb..
Well I worked for a LFS when the first finding Nemo movie came out, and let me tell you how many people would come into the store with their kids and ask for a Nemo and dory. It was crazy! Some people would buy the right set up for the fish. But not many. We had one person that kept buying nemos over and over, until someone asked her what was going on. She said they would just die in a day and her kids cried so she had to buy another. We Asked her what setup she had and she just shrugged her shoulder and said it's a tank with water, I don't know. We further asked more questions to find out she just had a little tank full of fresh tap water! No wonder they died. She had no idea it was a marine fish, nor anything about them.
I know that movie killed mass quantities of fish and still does. I still hear kids asking for nemos. Hell, everyone who sees my clowns call them nemos.
I would like to see the movie company do a little bit to help by saying something at the end of the movie. Anything to help educate people and parents a little before buying fish.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not trying to bash the idea, I am all about freedoms. I hate walking by a smoker and breathing that stuff in. But I support there right to smoke. I live in state that likes to take as much freedom away and possible, I am surprised I can even have a saltwater fish tank. Anyway my main quastion is who decides what is the right size for said fish? I mean I try and follow tank sizes based on common sense and what other reefers do. but under the right circumstances the numbers can change. As other have said I think stores are a bigger issue. I have one near me that will sell you a 50 gal tank and a shark to go with it. And say you will be fine. Just saying.

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic. I applaud this notion. It's all fun and games to tell "noobs" to do their research, but at some point do we not take on some of the responsibility when we know something is wrong?

My suggestion, as a first step, is we should consult our local pet stores (the ones we frequent), and ask that they get on board, by action not words. They know what is right. Ask for a commitment after the movie to do what's right.

I was in mine recently (not a fish only as I am in MS), and overheard a teacher who was buying a 75 SW for her school. She wanted a "Dory", I was quick to jump in with details about the blue hippo (the salesman, not the owner who knows me, looked slightly annoyed). I didn't care, and said "show her some of the beautiful bristletooths". They were looking at web pages because they carry nothing.

He understood and followed along, but what if? This is our first line of action.

It would be great to have a trailer, and I agree it is a noble pursuit, but we could place an "inconspicuous" burden on those who actually sell almost immediately.

Anywho, $0.02
Rob

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is also the fact that when Nemo came out you could get a clown for under $15. Not sure about other places but here in the north Texas area you are looking at $60 or more for a small Dory. Not many parents are going to be willing to throw that much cash at a fish.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to reach out to some of the animal channels we all love to watch, Animal Planet, Discovery, to see if they'd be interested in helping the cause. They can certainly get the info out there if they can be convinced of the need for it

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add, I'm in the vet field and the same thing happens with dog movies. 101 Dalmatians, Wishbone. Dalmatians and Jack Russell terriers are generally not for the first time dog owner. Heck, the dog that played Eddie on Frasier, his name was Moose and his trainer worked with all species, even elephants. She said he was the most difficult animal to train of all of them.

People will make uneducated purchases to make their kids happy. I hope that we can figure out how to get the word out about tang care and habit needs. Anyone ever done a ********** petition? Maybe something to look at..

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more question. Is it possible that bringing this attention to the hobby would catch the attention of organizations like peta, when they find out how many fish just die from shipping. I just worrie that attention to this might end badly for us.

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever done a ********** petition? Maybe something to look at..

I've been following along and that what I was thinking about. I've never done one but it seems pretty straightforward to start one up.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it and it wasn't mentioned until this page, is that in the first movie they weren't advocating keeping fish at all and in fact the story was that the fish wanted to be free. So can you really blame them.
With this new film, yes Regal tang sales will increase but if you have worked in the industry you will see that they are possibly the most miss sold species out there anyway if you consider how cute they are when tiny and the fact they need much larger tanks than most will get. So whilst I
wholeheartedly support the idea of this thread, it is a problem that already exists and has done for many years. Perhaps the best thing would be to try and get Disney to promote proper care through their parks where they keep fish.

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I owned a LFS the things that se of the impulse customers would want and ask for were amazing I can write a book on it . I would not sell to people who didnt have the right tanks or setups for these fish But there are many shops that will just sell I had my shop when the first movie was out and it was crazy how many dads came in with little kids to get a Nemo and Dory and were going to put them in bowls and 5 gal tanks i would tell them whT they need to keep these animals succesfully and how much time and cash they had to invest and most left with sad kids but I will say there were a few who kept sucessful salt tanks the right way I hope this is not a repeat but im sure it will be so Its a good idea ill sighn

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a long history of parents buying pets that eventually get neglected. Puppies for Christmas, baby chicks, bunnies, ducklingsfor Easter. These living creatures are dependent on their owners to provide responsible animal husbandry. Impulse buying of all pets should be discouraged. Your idea is a mountain that should be scaled. I would sign

sea dragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when Finding Nemo was being shown in theaters it really created a lot of headaches for the good lfs and their employees. It's the duty of every one to have the basic husbandry before buying any animal. This includes Dory.

VBMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not Hollywood's responsibility to educate... I'm tired of them trying to. That's what mom and dad are for.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back