First acro frag problem :(

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lowering the light and flow will make things worse. What is the best way to go though? Nuke it in flow and light or reduce it first. Some are saying less. I have no idea what to do first.
Sometimes people want to be helpful, but they’re looking at the situation from their perspective and sometimes they just point to whatever seems most likely to them without taking certain details into account and calculating the numbers. There’s also this trend going on with SPS right now and people dosing Nitrate and Phosphate and even blaming low levels of phosphate or nitrate for corals dying or whatever, but please don’t worry about or attempt that until you have some years experience with SPS. Higher alkalinity is a benefit to you right now and I can completely explain why in further detail when there is a chance.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus return pump. Sicce 0.5.
Sometimes people want to be helpful, but they’re looking at the situation from their perspective and sometimes they just point to whatever seems most likely to them without taking certain details into account and calculating the numbers. There’s also this trend going on with SPS right now and people dosing Nitrate and Phosphate and even blaming low levels of phosphate or nitrate for corals dying or whatever, but please don’t worry about or attempt that until you have some years experience with SPS. Higher alkalinity is a benefit to you right now and I can completely explain why in further detail when there is a chance.
Low p04 and n03 with high alk like that WILL burn tips. If your system is mature you can get away with some lower nutrients and a bit of a higher alk.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low p04 and n03 with high alk like that WILL burn tips. If your system is mature you can get away with some lower nutrients and a bit of a higher alk.
Respectfully, I would like to see evidence that it happened to an experienced Reefer with Alkalinity at 11-12 & pH 8.3-8.4 that couldn’t possibly be attributed to other factors. Not saying it’s impossible and I’m completely willing to have my mind changed or admit I am wrong based on something that appears solid with some kind of documentation.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looked good before, then the lights were changed and the coral is turning white at all the growth tips, you have 2 simple options... double down and crank up the lights or back down and ease into it, ultimately ending higher then you are now..

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully, I would like to see evidence that it happened to an experienced Reefer with Alkalinity at 11-12 & pH 8.3-8.4 that couldn’t possibly be attributed to other factors. Not saying it’s impossible and I’m completely willing to have my mind changed or admit I am wrong based on something that appears solid with some kind of documentation.
I think that in this case, the op is still earning his experience.. I believe this is the 1st frag

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a case of a tank that has too low lights and flow for SPS in a system that’s not very mature yet. Would consider running the acclimation setting for that light and cranking it all the way up over a month if keeping SPS is the goal. While the alkalinity/nutrients combo wouldn’t worry me in a different/older tank or with a reef keeper that has more acro experience, I would personally lower it to a safer range where the balance doesn’t tip as easily. Good luck!

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looked good before, then the lights were changed and the coral is turning white at all the growth tips, you have 2 simple options... double down and crank up the lights or back down and ease into it, ultimately ending higher then you are now..
The original light is a 16watt LED, only color it has is 14K and the light is within a couple inches of the water. It’s likely the frag was getting more PAR before the new light fixture.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would somehow get (borrow, rent, purchase) my hands on a PAR meter and measure PAR. Otherwise, everything is a guess.

I would also slowly bring down alkalinity to 8 ish dKH.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence....my Statement. This isn't a mature tank.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's common in Europe to run high DKH like that, but if mine gets above the high 8's or low 9's I start to see burnt tips, and I run pretty high nutrients. No3 12-25 and Po4 .20-.40

Sea water DKH is closer to 7, so I run mine in the mid-high 7's.

I would also ask what kind of DKH, Lighting, and nutrient levels that acro came from.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just done all the tests i can and everything is similar to what i posted.Mag-1440 Calc 410, nitrates 10ppm phos 0.08, Kh is 11.5. Going to do small water changes every day. What i don’t understand is why would red sea coral pro salt be at 12kh? Mine is under that. As for the acro i have turned the power head up and turning the tank over 100 times an hour. Turned the lighting up to 65% and mid week will do a bit more maybe. I will assess the acro tomorrow to see if its worse or not. Also have a temporary net over the top till my mesh perspex lid arrives, iv taken that off wile im home to stop that reducing the lighting too.

Could it be temperature? It sits at 27c.
IMG_1500.jpeg
IMG_1499.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 45

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to recommend chemicals but look into lowering your alk with acid. Just be careful you dont want swings of to great a number. I think the water change route is better but you will also lower your already low nutrients. Which is why I said that.
I would not recommend acid as that will drop the Ph very quickly and cause more issues. WC is much better. based on the before and after pics I would say that it is definitely not new growth. I would lower the frag to reduce light intensity and reduce your Alk to somewhere in the 7.5-8.5 range. I highly recommend getting or borrowing a PAR meter to check the light intensity. All suggestions regarding that are just guesses without data.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend acid as that will drop the Ph very quickly and cause more issues. WC is much better. based on the before and after pics I would say that it is definitely not new growth. I would lower the frag to reduce light intensity and reduce your Alk to somewhere in the 7.5-8.5 range. I highly recommend getting or borrowing a PAR meter to check the light intensity. All suggestions regarding that are just guesses without data.
Which is why I said I hate to recommend chemicals and he needs to be very careful. It can be done in small increments, not the best idea for someone starting out. If the parameters are correct I'd worry about dropping nutrients with water changes and causing other issues on top of what is already happening. Yes adding acid if done wrong will/could be just as devastating. So in reality it may be better to not focus on this coral and focus on the ones that are doing well. Not everyone can grow sps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back