First Foray into Reefkeeping

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved reef tanks, and finally started putting together my own first build. This may not be the fastest build thread, but wanted to get it started.

Equipment:
Display: Aqueon 40 Breeder
Sump: Aqueon 20 Long w/FijiCube Baffle Kit
Overflow: FijiCube 600 gph
Lighting: ???
Protein Skimmer: ???
Return Pump: Jebao DCP-2500
Flow: ???
Heater: 200w titanium on Helios Controller

Stocking plan: My goal is to start with softies/LPS and eventually work towards adding SPS as well. My only livestock interest other than corals is some nems. I have kids and grandkids though, so we'll inevitably end up with several fish as well.

Aqueon 40 gallon Breeder and 20 Long arrive near their new home
20240312_153653.jpg

Stand arrived, built, and leveled prematurely

1000004956.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to date as of today. Plan through this weekend is:
- The shelf area behind the doors of the stand prohibits any kind of internal protein skimmer in the sump, so I'll be routing part of it out
- My overflow hole is about 1/8-1/4 inch too high for the rim of the display, so I'll be *carefully* notching the rim
- Attaching overflow, bulkheads, and getting all the plumbing sorted and fixed into place.

Still putting together how I want to source rock. Couple of LFS relatively close and I may price out picking pieces out in-store vs buying a bulk box of dry rock.

Next purchase will either be RODI system or skimmer.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would cut a hole for the skimmer. It’s 90% of the reason I have a sump. Good luck
That's the plan for today when I get home from work. Going to rout out enough of that shelf that a skimmer won't be hindered and uncover the top of the area next to it which will eventually be the refugium.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno how much research you've put into this, but I have come to believe skimmers are quite optional and there is debate if they're a net positive depending on how you setup your ecosystem.
If space is tight you could go without one for now.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno how much research you've put into this, but I have come to believe skimmers are quite optional and there is debate if they're a net positive depending on how you setup your ecosystem.
If space is tight you could go without one for now.
I've considered going without, but should I wish to have one the shelf would have to be cut - and that's an easier ordeal before water is in the tanks than after. I will most likely startup with one and remove it down the road if I can keep stability without it running.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

Well I'm excited to see how the overflow works!

And yeah good call on the sand btw. I really think bare bottom is not a good look.
I really like the bare bottom look in some instances, I just don't feel it's the look I'm going for. Plus I'd prefer to have the added filtration sand provides with my first setup.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along great, I really like the 40 breeder size.

Just a suggestion, that last pic makes it look like you could benefit from some additional sealing of the edges you cut for the skimmer. That area will see a lot of moisture and it looks as though the cut edges aren't completely sealed. I can't tell from the pics whether the material is solid wood, plywood, or particle board but if particle board it's even more important to seal it well. One way to approach it is to use something like Kilz oil based to get a good base coat then top it with black latex. You can tape off the top and bottom to keep it neat when applying the finish.

If it is already sealed well then please disregard.

If you have grandkids then a pair of nemos (clownfish) might be a good addition and a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) since you have expressed an interest in "Nems". There are an endless variety of captive bred clowns available. Captive breeding, in my experience, results in a fish that is easier to acclimate to tank life. The main thing to watch out for with most anemones, BTA's included, is they have the potential to pick up and move around the tank which makes mesh covers (or something similar) for your powerheads a good move.

I'm looking forward to following your build!

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along great, I really like the 40 breeder size.

Just a suggestion, that last pic makes it look like you could benefit from some additional sealing of the edges you cut for the skimmer. That area will see a lot of moisture and it looks as though the cut edges aren't completely sealed. I can't tell from the pics whether the material is solid wood, plywood, or particle board but if particle board it's even more important to seal it well. One way to approach it is to use something like Kilz oil based to get a good base coat then top it with black latex. You can tape off the top and bottom to keep it neat when applying the finish.

If it is already sealed well then please disregard.

If you have grandkids then a pair of nemos (clownfish) might be a good addition and a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) since you have expressed an interest in "Nems". There are an endless variety of captive bred clowns available. Captive breeding, in my experience, results in a fish that is easier to acclimate to tank life. The main thing to watch out for with most anemones, BTA's included, is they have the potential to pick up and move around the tank which makes mesh covers (or something similar) for your powerheads a good move.

I'm looking forward to following your build!
Thanks! The stand is metal framed, with MDF making the cabinet area. The edges of it were cut, shellac, then painted black with acrylic. I think the last pic looks that way due to a combination of flash and it being 1-2 coats from completely covered.

I've been made well aware we're expected to get a 'Nemo fish' - and it'll probably be the first addition honestly. I'm on pretty much the same page with clown and bta I think. Do clowns typically do better in pairs?

Plans for the rest of the weekend are plumbing and maybe sorting out hellos and pump controller placement if I get froggy.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back