First Reef Tank! Waterbox Infinia 230.6

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally time!

After weeks and weeks of researching tanks and fish and corals and equipment, I have finally received my aquarium system. Granted, I’m no where near close to even filling it with water, let alone fish. But it’s a start!

I am the proud new owner of a waterbox INFINIA 230.6. This has a 167 gallon display tank and a 51 gallon sump. The display tank is 72.3”L x 25.3”W x 23.6”H. This is my very first saltwater aquarium (and reef tank). I’m also pretty new to aquariums in general. I have a 2.6 gallon betta tank and a 15 gallon high freshwater that I’m starting at the same time as this…

Perhaps I’m ambitious, but I’m doing everything I can to do this right and responsibly. I have so many more things to learn, it’s fun! If not overwhelming.. but still fun!

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5391.jpeg

I need to place the tank on top, obviously. But the stand is finally put together and the sump and reservoir are in. Definitely a bit intimidated bringing the tank down. This is on the bottom level (on concrete, it’s a finished basement). There is a relatively easy way to get down to where the stand is around the house and down a slope (not too steep).

But man, it’s heavy. The sump alone was super heavy. I’m sure my husband and I will be able to handle it, though.

Anyway, I have nothing else but the aquarium set up (tank, stand, sump). I realized that the stand did not have a good place for me to mount any control panel/power. Nor did it have a mesh lid. So I ordered a control box (that I can mount onto) and a mesh lid specifically for this tank model through Waterbox.

I did order a bunch of rock (185lbs reef saver macro rocks + 3L and 2M foundation pieces + glue). I’m expecting the aquascaping to take awhile, as I’ve never done it before and I’m also a perfectionist. I’ve been researching a lot of different tank designs as well as coral and fish needs. I’m still deciding what fish/corals I like and need to see what’s compatible. That will determine my aquascaping and equipment.

So much to research! So much fun! I’m so excited! Much more to come :)

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5572.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

Huzzah! The tank is finally on the stand (90lb German Shepherd to scale).

We hired professional movers to put it on, which I’m very happy that I did that. Well worth the money. It took 4 guys and even then it was a challenge.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

Okay! I set up the plumbing and Neptune Apex system and cleaned the glass! It took a hot second but I’m satisfied with it.

I still need to do a water test to make sure the plumbing isn’t leaking. Not sure how I should do that, but I’m going to do some research on that.

I have almost all equipment. I have to return the gyre power heads I got, though. I bought the Maxspect gyre cloud edition w/o the controller because I thought that it was compatible with the Apex. Alas, it is not.

So I’m returning those and purchased two AI Orbit 4 pumps. I also didn’t realize that I needed an MXM module, so I got that too. Hopefully those are here later this week or early next week!

My equipment so far is:

- Neptune Apex
- Vectra M2
- Aquamaxx ConeS DRC-2 protein skimmer
- 2x 600W titanium heater (BRS)
- Osomolater 3 Auto Top Off

I also got:

- 5 Stage Premium Plus RO/DI
- Ultra Zero utility pump
- No Spill Clean & Fill Python

Plus I’m starting with all dry rock, CaribSea Special Grade sand, and RedSea aquarium salt mix.

I think my next steps are doing a water test and setting up my equipment. I’ll also start to get to work on my aquascaping.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been super busy over the last few days working on the tank. On Friday I worked on my Aquascape. I also set up my RO/DI station and have two 32 gallon trash cans that I’m filtering it into (w/ a 5 gallon bucket for the waste water that I have to empty every 25-30 minutes). Unfortunately I don’t have a sink or drain downstairs near the aquarium. But the hose is right outside, so that’s been convenient.

On Saturday I glued my Aquascape together and kept filtering water.

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

I’ve been trying to set up my equipment too. I got an open box Aquamaxx protein skimmer and it came with the center part broken off. So I returned that and ordered a Reef Octopus Regal 250INT 10” protein skimmer (which was 20% off! Woohoo!).

I filtered about 60 gallons of RO/DI water over the last couple of days so I finally started filling the tank! I put the CaribSea special grade sand (100lbs) in the tank. I bought the Ultra Zero utility pump so I put that in the first bucket and started filling! No leaks and it went super smooth!

IMG_5637.jpeg

Sand is in!
IMG_5639.jpeg

Starting to fill it up.
IMG_5642.jpeg

The set up.
IMG_5645.jpeg

The first 30 gallons.
IMG_5646.jpeg

60 gallons in!

Now I’ll wait for more RO/DI water to filter and go from there!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back