First time tank transfer

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m about to do my first tank transfer I have the innovative marine 15 gallon but moving everything to a IM 20 gallon I know not a huge jump lol. I just had a few questions I plan on adding more dry rock to the main display tank besides the rock in my current tank and the seachem matrix in the sump if I add new dry rock will it cause a mini cycle or anything bad? Plan on adding new sand I have too many spaghetti worms in my current sand and just want to start fresh so I can maintain them. Also have a question about the flow the IM 20 tank came with two 130gph pumps while I bought a mighty jet 326 for my 15 gallon I plan on putting the 326 in the 20 gallon but I also plan on buying another to replace the other 130 pump would two 326 pumps be enough flow for the tank alone because tbh I don’t want to buy a wavemaker

IMG_1227.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I’m about to do my first tank transfer I have the innovative marine 15 gallon but moving everything to a IM 20 gallon I know not a huge jump lol. I just had a few questions I plan on adding more dry rock to the main display tank besides the rock in my current tank and the seachem matrix in the sump if I add new dry rock will it cause a mini cycle or anything bad? Plan on adding new sand I have too many spaghetti worms in my current sand and just want to start fresh so I can maintain them. Also have a question about the flow the IM 20 tank came with two 130gph pumps while I bought a mighty jet 326 for my 15 gallon I plan on putting the 326 in the 20 gallon but I also plan on buying another to replace the other 130 pump would two 326 pumps be enough flow for the tank alone because tbh I don’t want to buy a wavemaker

IMG_1227.jpeg
New dry rock may promote diatoms from silicate and rest should be movable. I'd advise a light rinse of some sand and addition of live rock and liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM and test of course to assure any ammonia/nitrate is dropping every 48 hrs and Not increasing

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New dry rock may promote diatoms from silicate and rest should be movable. I'd advise a light rinse of some sand and addition of live rock and liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM and test of course to assure any ammonia/nitrate is dropping every 48 hrs and Not increasing
Yea I planned on adding some bacteria to help just in case I’ll definitely buy that brand and keep a look out on my parameters.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll go fine. You're on the right track. I did a switcheroo from a 75 to a 90. It was an adventure. It's just about being careful and planning every step ahead of time. From there the system will reset and move ahead.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll go fine. You're on the right track. I did a switcheroo from a 75 to a 90. It was an adventure. It's just about being careful and planning every step ahead of time. From there the system will reset and move ahead.
Thanks I’m definitely trying to make a good plan lol. Just nervous for all my corals tbh my tanks doing great atm not trying to ruin it. But also wondering if you can help me with the flow. So my IM20 came with two 130gph pumps but I want to replace them with two mighty jet 326 will that be enough flow for my tank or will I have to add a wavemaker?

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 2 years ago and upgraded tanks. Moved everything over with new sand and a bit more rock. No issues. I did add bacteria to avoid any problems.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently in third tank. This last time was the the smoothest in many ways. Went from an IM SR60 to the 90 gallon AIO acrylic I had for fresh. Had a tank crash in the 90 so I went ahead with the move I intend to make at some point anyways. Got out Rubbermaid tubs with a couple heaters and I had 2 sicce nano pumps for circulation. I had previously emptied the tank and added 120 lbs of new Carib Sea Ocean Direct sand as well as 20 lbs of newly purchased live rock. That was running for a couple days then I did the transfer in several hours . No added bacteria. No fish losses, but did lose a few small corals in the shuffle. No ugly stage either and I attribute that to the Ocean Direct sand being used.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New dry rock will just go through it's own ugly phase. There is no "mini cycle" because your tank already has the bacteria, it's just adding surface area for more to grow

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
increase water change frequency for the first few times just helps balance out the water. not necessarily more water just a couple extra changes in your normal schedule. think of it like a hurricane season, things get messed up and lots of current disruption so water moves around "fresh" to the corals.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was finally able to do the transfer yesterday took a little longer than expected with it being my first tank transfer. Noticed some of the corals stressed with their filaments out hopefully they’ll heal. Not trying to lose any corals

IMG_1487.jpeg IMG_1488.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was finally able to do the transfer yesterday took a little longer than expected with it being my first tank transfer. Noticed some of the corals stressed with their filaments out hopefully they’ll heal. Not trying to lose any corals

IMG_1487.jpeg IMG_1488.jpeg
Great job! How many days did it end up taking you?

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! How many days did it end up taking you?
Thank! It only took my a day for a few hours had to buy a new stand and put together plus waking up later than planned lol. But maybe took 2-3 wanted to put most of my corals on frag plugs to change around. Added microbacter7, more copepods, and added more seachem matrix to the already established bag from my old tank. Just now hoping for no casualties from the move.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back