OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots of the room as it is now.

The reef is still in the uglies but it's getting better. It never got really bad.

I got a couple frags of green slimer and one of hollywood stunner.

roomfromdoor.jpg

roomfromcloset.jpg

reeffromcloset.jpg

I am pretty happy with the way things are going. I still have to figure out a better seating arrangement and get the rest of my books from storage. I also cleaned up the closet some. Still a lot of work to do from there because there are a lot of truck parts in there. I started back on assembling the truck over the weekend. Slow going but should have it a roller soon.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever setup a new tank I will set it up like I have done the reef. Water changes are a snap. Now, that I got more outlets in, I have the main pump on the app as well. I just did 10% in 3 minutes 20 seconds. Yesterday, I filled up the change tank and turned on the mix pump and heater via the app, added salt by weight and let it go until this morning. Dead on 35ppt. So, not counting the 3 hours for the RODI, it takes right at 3 minutes to measure the salt and dump it in and a total 6 minutes with the actual water change. I wish I would have thought of this years ago.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever setup a new tank I will set it up like I have done the reef. Water changes are a snap. Now, that I got more outlets in, I have the main pump on the app as well. I just did 10% in 3 minutes 20 seconds. Yesterday, I filled up the change tank and turned on the mix pump and heater via the app, added salt by weight and let it go until this morning. Dead on 35ppt. So, not counting the 3 hours for the RODI, it takes right at 3 minutes to measure the salt and dump it in and a total 6 minutes with the actual water change. I wish I would have thought of this years ago.
Seriously, though, I am happy it's working well for you! In actuality, you did think of it years ago but simply never put it into practice. Well done!

Edit: have a piece of pie today, you know, because it is...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, though, I am happy it's working well for you! In actuality, you did think of it years ago but simply never put it into practice. Well done!

Edit: have a piece of pie today, you know, because it is...

Thanks for both reminders. :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry been laying low for a bit. I had a TIA over the weekend and it left me feeling completely drained.

Doing better today. Going to do some tank maintenance and water changes and then I will take pics.

Appreciate you checking on me.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry been laying low for a bit. I had a TIA over the weekend and it left me feeling completely drained.

Doing better today. Going to do some tank maintenance and water changes and then I will take pics.

Appreciate you checking on me.
Water change today here as well brother :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::grinning-face:

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I ticked my buddy off today. He came to visit and bring lunch and I said "hold on, I gotta do this water change on the freshwater tank" I turned the valve and set and alexa timer and said "20 gallon change done. Man! I need a break" He said "Yeah but you won't get away with that on the reef tank" Hold my drink... 16 gallon water change done. Judging by the look, that wasn't what I should have said. LOL!

@crusso1993 you are correct, I am an butt*&^% sometimes.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change today here as well brother :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::grinning-face:
Well la-ti-frickin'-da!

I think I ticked my buddy off today. He came to visit and bring lunch and I said "hold on, I gotta do this water change on the freshwater tank" I turned the valve and set and alexa timer and said "20 gallon change done. Man! I need a break" He said "Yeah but you won't get away with that on the reef tank" Hold my drink... 16 gallon water change done. Judging by the look, that wasn't what I should have said. LOL!

@crusso1993 you are correct, I am an butt*&^% sometimes.
Sometimes???

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the uglies are persisting. Not any worse just not any better. I am going to step up water changes for a couple weeks and stir the sand bed. I may also run carbon for a bit too.

I checked nitrates and phosphate and they are pretty low but not zero.

fish all seem healthy.

I will update soon.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been debating this for a while and finally decided. I am sacking saltwater way back. I am going to love my clowns, the few corals that survived and some rock to a 25 gallon all in one next to the rimless. The rimless will become a billabong biotope planted tank with rainbows and gudgeons.

I enjoyed my freshwater tank way more than my reef and cannot seem to get the reef up to par. I thought loving to another tank would help and I swear it’s worse.

I will still update this because there is still saltwater in the room.

:)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 50w titanium heater is in. I got a small sicce power head and it's too strong. The return pump will be enough at the setting I put it at now plus it has three more notches to the speed if need be.

I got a couple frags from a buddy yesterday and two more a80 tuna blue lights in case I want to add one more and have a back up. But, for now, it seems to be enough light.

My next move is to setup a top off. I have options here:

Tunze osmolator
Tunze nano top off
Dosing pump calibrated to daily evap. (this is risky as I could do too much or too little)

or

Dosing pump doing less than evap with weak kalkwasser and one of the top off units to make up the rest.

Any way I go about it, I am only losing about a liter a day. I can use a much smaller container sitting behind the tank instead of my full size dosing container.

The final piece of the puzzle will be water changes. My thought is to just mix up a 5 gallon bucket at a time and have a heater in it. Once a week do 5 gallons that's over 25%. I don't think I will need any other filtration than this. I am only going to have the two clowns and corals so I should be good. Worst case is I add a small skimmer later on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back