OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - are you not well? You’ve posted 3 days in a row with an added flurry today!

actually I have been under the weather.

but I also got caught up on a bunch of stuff and figured I’d post more.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little tank is doing well. I setup a 2 liter canister of weak kalkwasser and set it to a drop every 5 seconds.

So far so good.

I plan on breaking out the good camera tomorrow and trying a few snaps.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water changes aren’t as fun on the nano since it’s back to the bucket method but, a 25% water change is a 5 gallon bucket so it’s not difficult.

I just make up a batch and bring it to temp and salinity in one bucket and then shut off the return pump. Siphon out into an empty bucket and then pour in the freshly made water. Besides the mixing/heating time, it’s takes about 4 or 5 minutes. Definite upside to a nano.

The drip method of kalk is too much for the nano. I can’t get it slower than a drop every 5 seconds and it raises calcium to 500 and alk to almost 10 very quickly. I think I’m just going to do an auto top off and dose all4reef if needed.

FYI the water changes on the rimless planted are the same as the 12 footer: super simple and fast. I still need to run a line over to the tank instead of uncoiling a long piece of RODI line every time. I am hoping to get my son to get in the attic and connect it this weekend.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a whole bunch of plants in for the rimless. Looks much better now. Loss both plecos. Should have waited to add them. The angels look like they are growing already. They are eating well and not taking off in a panic when I walk by now.

getting some people eater and armor of god zoas this weekend hopefully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up getting armor of god and orange bam bam zoas (the people eaters weren't ready yet)

I have a thought about my RODI setup and wanted folks thoughts on this. I have a 100 gpd 4 stage and a booster pump and get about 93-107gpd out of it depending on water temperature from the tap.

Since I am only running an IM20 now, I only use about a quart a day of makeup water and do one 5 gallon water change a week. This is a total of about 7 gallons a week. So, the system is comically overkill. I am due up for a filter change and DI refill.

I thought I could just go with a prefilter, carbon and DI and ignore the booster and RO membrane and get zero TDS water with no waste and not have any issues and it wouldn't be expensive to maintain because of the low amount of usage. I also have about 8 DI refills because I bought in bulk.

What say you?

I wouldn't get rid of any equipment in case this backfired horribly. :)

The even funnier part about overkill is, I have an extra brand new booster setup and enough parts to build another 100gpd system. :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wound up getting armor of god and orange bam bam zoas (the people eaters weren't ready yet)

I have a thought about my RODI setup and wanted folks thoughts on this. I have a 100 gpd 4 stage and a booster pump and get about 93-107gpd out of it depending on water temperature from the tap.

Since I am only running an IM20 now, I only use about a quart a day of makeup water and do one 5 gallon water change a week. This is a total of about 7 gallons a week. So, the system is comically overkill. I am due up for a filter change and DI refill.

I thought I could just go with a prefilter, carbon and DI and ignore the booster and RO membrane and get zero TDS water with no waste and not have any issues and it wouldn't be expensive to maintain because of the low amount of usage. I also have about 8 DI refills because I bought in bulk.

What say you?

I wouldn't get rid of any equipment in case this backfired horribly. :)

The even funnier part about overkill is, I have an extra brand new booster setup and enough parts to build another 100gpd system. :)
@Eagle_Steve ,this man needs a plan... ;) :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve ,this man needs a plan... ;) :)
For that little water, I would try sediment, 2x carbons (1 micron and .5 micron) then mixed DI and see how long it lasts for what you are making up. I have a similar setup for washing cars and it actually doesn't use up much DI to get to ) tds. My tap is only 90 tds though. Tap also ends up at 4 after the 2 carbon blocks. So, kind of the same as an RO membrane.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the system I am running for the freshwater systems (minus the DI) so, I could just T off that and add DI mixed bed.

Cool.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the system I am running for the freshwater systems (minus the DI) so, I could just T off that and add DI mixed bed.

Cool.
just test ds out of last carbon block and see where that stands. From there you can guesstimate Di usage.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have inline TDS meters. Will test before resin and after and will know exactly when to change.

This will be a much more simple setup than I am currently running and take up a lot less room under the stand.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve did your buddy get their store open. I’d love to see it
He did get it all moved and setup. Emerald Bay Fish and Reptile. They are now in Lebanon and not Hermitage. I think they have all the store info on Facebook.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back