Fish stocking

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25-gallon sps dom reef, current stocking is 2 clowns, cleaner wrasse, unknown wrasse, file fish and a coral beauty. Im looking to add something else to help increase no3 and po4. Any suggestions?

IMG_20230915_164323325.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a wee fire fish, they're very enjoyable provided you have a lid. Although, i am not sure I'd add more fish to that tank; seems fairly well stocked already for the size :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just me, I would say that tank is full. Those 6 fish will all grow to 3"-4", too much for a 25 gallon. The cleaner wrasse should be in a larger tank, most wrasses should be, so who knows about the "unknown" wrasse. It is pushing the limits of aggression and disease.

OP
OP
tedfisher496

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a wee fire fish, they're very enjoyable provided you have a lid. Although, i am not sure I'd add more fish to that tank; seems fairly well stocked already for the size :)
agreed but my no3 keeps flirting with zero. i started dosing no2 but had a issue with a dosing pump and had some bleached corals. I need consistent nutrients. seems like my only option is add more fish.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d sooner dose nitrate than add more fish. That’s what I have to do, as there’s no good way to add more fish.
There’s more than just the risk of nitrate levels climbing with overstocking, but how the fish will tolerate others as well. In cramped quarters, both the angel and clowns are very prone to aggression.
Also, many of this fish will soon outgrow the tank, and should be rehomed long before considering adding new fish: namely the cleaner wrasse, angel, unknown wrasse (unless a pink streak, possum, or 6-line), and potentially the filefish (depending on species).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d sooner dose nitrate than add more fish. That’s what I have to do, as there’s no good way to add more fish.
There’s more than just the risk of nitrate levels climbing with overstocking, but how the fish will tolerate others as well. In cramped quarters, both the angel and clowns are very prone to aggression.
Also, many of this fish will soon outgrow the tank, and should be rehomed long before considering adding new fish: namely the cleaner wrasse, angel, unknown wrasse (unless a pink streak, possum, or 6-line), and potentially the filefish (depending on species).
Getting to the stage where you have to dose nitrate and phosphate, man, thats when you know you've made it :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting to the stage where you have to dose nitrate and phosphate, man, thats when you know you've made it :face-with-tears-of-joy:
No worries with phosphate. It comes out of the tap at 3 ppm by me - but for some reason I just can’t keep nitrate up. I used neonitro for a bit but then switched to sodium nitrate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back