Fishless Cycling help

Xeraki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am new to the aquarium hobby (although, I won't be keeping actual fish haha, I'm planning on raising Axolotls) and this is the only community I have been able to find for my area. I realize it's mostly for saltwater tanks.. but hopefully someone can help me out.

I'm about to start cycling my very first freshwater aquarium. My sponge filters are coming in later today! So I hope to be able to get it going soon. I already have the ammonia and various test kits necessary for cycling, but now I'm looking for some healthy bacteria seeds from a pre-established and healthy freshwater aquarium to jumpstart my biological filter. Every source I have read on this has said that the "bacteria in a bottle" option is not always reliable. I also understand that it's possible to cycle without the bacteria seeds, but I'd like to try and find some.

I have tried contacting a local (cleveland, TN) fish store (the aquatic den), but I never received a response.

So is anyone living in the cleveland or chattanooga area willing to help me out (or direct me to a place that can)? All I'm really looking for is either a nice and dirty, used filter pad, cartridge or ceramic media.. even a handful of gravel would help.

Thank you!

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just used a piece of shrimp to cycle a new tank.... It starts breaking down and starts the cycle.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back