for me knoledge

armyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried to aclimate a gourami to saltwater i was wanting to know if its posible before i tried

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, not possible the most salt it can take is brackish. But most brackish fish can be converted to low salinity saltwater (1.018).

Jermiah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my 180 with two black mollies who survived with no problem for several months after being at 1.023. They spawned about once a week. I finally had to give them away to be able to add more fish.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just ask why you would want gouramis in a marine tank? There are plenty of fish in the sea to choose from

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my 180 with two black mollies who survived with no problem for several months after being at 1.023. They spawned about once a week. I finally had to give them away to be able to add more fish.

I always wondered why I could breed livebearers, but never even keep mollies alive for very long.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are not a true freshwater fish. They naturally occur in Brackish to Saltwater. That's why they're able to be successfully kept in our reef tanks. They're also great for algae control.

The same can be said for some "FW" puffers, which are also NOT true FW fish.

True FW fish can NOT be acclimated to saltwater and doing so would be very stressful on them, until they died.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back