Foxface rabbitfish markings

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have had a foxface rabbitfish for a few years that has done really well. It is in the tank with 2 tangs and all 3 seem to get on really well. This morning I noticed some strange markings on its side. They have since gone done a little during the day but are definitely still visible. I am hoping that they are simply scratches against a rock or something similar (it loves sleeping or squeezing into strange positions). Please can anyone let me know if they have seen anything similar or have any advice?

I did actually put a new orange spotted goby in a couple of weeks back but all over fish (including the goby) are doing well, and I got it from the same place I always get my fish where I've never had any issues with disease. I've also tested and all parameters remain consistent.

Please ignore how closed up the Duncan is in the background. This photo was taken just as the lights came on this morning, so it was only just waking up.

Many thanks
Paul

20230718_080522.jpg 20230718_080525.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi there, I have had a foxface rabbitfish for a few years that has done really well. It is in the tank with 2 tangs and all 3 seem to get on really well. This morning I noticed some strange markings on its side. They have since gone done a little during the day but are definitely still visible. I am hoping that they are simply scratches against a rock or something similar (it loves sleeping or squeezing into strange positions). Please can anyone let me know if they have seen anything similar or have any advice?

I did actually put a new orange spotted goby in a couple of weeks back but all over fish (including the goby) are doing well, and I got it from the same place I always get my fish where I've never had any issues with disease. I've also tested and all parameters remain consistent.

Please ignore how closed up the Duncan is in the background. This photo was taken just as the lights came on this morning, so it was only just waking up.

Many thanks
Paul

20230718_080522.jpg 20230718_080525.jpg
Appears to be post injury from scratch/scrape and has developed a bacterial issue.
Best recourse is treatment in quarantine using seachem Kanaplex however you can use Ruby Rally Pro in-tank but will take longer to work and treat

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be post injury from scratch/scrape and has developed a bacterial issue.
Best recourse is treatment in quarantine using seachem Kanaplex however you can use Ruby Rally Pro in-tank but will take longer to work and treat
Thanks very much, that's helpful to know and reassuring that it is likely caused from a scratch / scrape. I have some API Melafix that is for treating bacterial infections from open wounds. Have you come across this before and heard any reviews of how effective it is / if it can cause issues to other fish or coral?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks very much, that's helpful to know and reassuring that it is likely caused from a scratch / scrape. I have some API Melafix that is for treating bacterial infections from open wounds. Have you come across this before and heard any reviews of how effective it is / if it can cause issues to other fish or coral?
Melafix wont do a thing despite its claims and is merely a tonic with teak tree oil that does not work, even in freshwater Go with Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 if you must use something for this

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back