Frag Plugs: The demise of Western civilization, or a necessary evil? "Shut up Fellman."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, confession time. I have this sort of weird secret disdain that I carry with me. A secret that really no coral vendor should have.

I hate frag plugs.

reef_coral_frag_plugs_small01.jpg

The objects of my disdain. Surely, I need to get a life...

No, really. I hate them. I’m not sure why. I mean, to a person who sells coral for a living, they are the best and easiest way to manage coral frags, so it is downright weird that I hate them so much. In fact, one could argue that frag plugs are the symbol for sustainability in the aquarium trade, and that to dislike them as much as I do is almost UN-American, ecologically insensitive, and downright curmudgeonly (like I haven’t heard that one before)! I should love them to pieces.

I even “commissioned†the “Corals 4 The Cure†plugs that we use at Unqique Corals to help donate money to cancer research , so I think plugs can be a force for good. But the vast majority of them cause me more consternation than they do anything else. I really should just deal with it.

UC1inch-c4c-blue-ice-tenuis-38-inventory-6.jpg

A bad thing doing good: The C4C plug tells cancer where to stuff it...

Instead, I would like to smash them to pieces. Bizzare. I must need therapy or something. I mean, surely there must be more stuff to raise my ire, especially at 5:45AM PDT the day after a grueling 2 day Reefapalooza coral fest. Hmm..maybe that could be it? I dunno. This is why the internet is so slow. This kind of crap and cat videos on Facebook. Who is the person who actually films these cat videos, anyways? And how much time do they have on their hands to catch “Fluffy†feeding the birds or doing the Macarena, or whatever?

10310089_10203012564143641_1397242507617323009_n.jpg

So who was literally the first person I ran into at RAP? My bestest buddy in the whole reef keeping world, Tony Vargas. A man who understands my insanity. Note the ironic free plug for a certain coral vendor in the background.

Oh, anyways, back to my commentary…

Do I have to apologize on behalf of the coral industry about unleashing these wretched things upon the hobby in large numbers every day?

Probably not, but I will at least express my views here.

And I’m not the only one who feels this way..I have clients who simply won’t by frags because of the plugs. They’re about colonies and such. I even have one client who is a Lobophyllia and Trachyphyllia lover because, as he eloquently stated, “I hate the #$%^%$^&% plugs that frags come on.â€

That’s an expensive hatred, and perhaps the ultimate in defiance- but I commend him for his steadfastness.

Let’s be honest, frag plugs are necessary evil. The ultimate way to grow a coral and transport it around the country or the world. They work. Some are pieces of art, like Justin Credabel’s “sculpture plugs†that he makes for ReefGen. Our customers love ‘em. They’re cool.

UC2andhalfinch-RG-justin-sculpture-tree-persied-cyphastrea-98.jpg

The sexiest frag plugs, hands down: Justin's "Sculpture Plugs" for ReefGen!

The neat thing a bout a frag plug is that they help keep us honest in the industry! With a little experience, you can differentiate between a “chop shop†and a legit coral vendor at a mere glance. Huh? Yeah,a coral that’s been “on the plug†for a while will show signs of encrusting, or at least, signs that it’s been on the plug more than 6 hours, including a slight patina of algae around the base where it was glued, and usually some encrusting tissue at the base (with many corals).

On the other hand, if you see a clean white plug, supporting an insanely colorful coral frag with no tissue encrusting, no algae film, and nice fresh glue, you have exactly what you suspect- a newly chopped up coral just glued to a plug. Is their anything inherently wrong with that? In some quarters, no. In my personal opinion, it’s a sign that you should at least ask some questions of the vendor who sent it to you. There’s some “splainin’ to do…And there may be a perfectly good explanation- and you should hear it before you “twitter-hack†them to death. At the very least, the little frag plug can help alert us to this not-so-cool-practice.

Still don’t like ‘em, though.

I guess one of the things I don’t like about frag plugs is the “pin†, and the way it projects down and creates issues for anal aquascapers, who have to contend with the pin and the aesthetic compromises the “pin†causes in their rock work. The “pin†is there because it helps hold the frag in place on eggcrate, which is the “industry standard†for placing coral frags in grow out tansk and raceways. If you don’t have rocks with nice clefts or holes, you have what looks like a bunch of golf tees or mushrooms poking out of your well-thought-out rockwork..or worse- you lay ‘em on the side haphazardly. I mean, there are a few other workarounds, of course- each a compromise of sorts:

*You can cut the “pin†off and simples glue the base to your rock, and wait for the encrusting growth to occur and cover it completely.

You can orient the plug on its side, cover it with some bits and pieces of rubble and such, and the coral will grow in a different orientation for a while before it “goes vertical.â€

*You can carefully remove it from the plug altogether…Really not advisable, as this can create stress for the coral, and damage it to the point where any number of causes dooms it.

*You can just “deal with it†and brag to your non-reefkeeping friends that they are a symbol of hobby sustainability and responsibility (which they are, really).

I say this as I proudly pointed out at least 50 times this weekend that the ORA “Red Planet†and other ORA pieces we offered at our booth were the “real dealâ€, because they were on genuine ORA plugs…Uggh..I’m crazy, stubborn, AND hypocritical. Nice.

1andhalfinch-ora-mint-pavona-38-inventory-2.jpg

"Look under the calcium carbonate for the genuine ORA plug!" Oh, boy, I've lost it.

In the end, we don’t really have a better way to grow frags, do we? I mean, for Xenia, Sinularia, zoas and such, there are alternatives (like tiles, window screen, etc.), but for the bulk of the corals we play with, plush are the way. Or at the very least, we have the frag disks without the pin for many species.

So, in summary, frags are basically one of those things you have to deal with in the hobby, much like we deal with replacing blades in our razors, the filter in our Brita pitcher, or removing batteries from plastic blister packs. A necessary inconvenience, yet, at the same time, and important symbol of the sustainability of the reefkeeping hobby.

That’s like 1,070 words largely hating on frag plugs from a guy who probably sees more in a day than many will in a lifetime, and owes a good part of his existence as a businessperson to ‘em. Has anyone ever written an entire op-ed piece about frag plugs? Probably not..guess I’m breaking new ground here.

Bizzare. Really, I’m even weirded out myself by this attitude.

How do you feel about frag plugs? Be honest. Is there some other “industry standard†thing that drives you nuts? It’s Monday, it’s your forum, and you can vent here safely. Relax, you’re among friends.

And if you think I’m nuts, or wasting bandwidth, let me know. I remember not long ago, a reader gave me a very concise and highly accurate assessment of the majority of my writing (“utter stupidityâ€) that was very helpful…Well, actually it just motivated me to write more about ridiculousness such as this…LOL

Okay, enough of this.

Time to start my day. It was a pleasure seeing some of you at Reefapalooza this weekend…Some of you have even threatened to stop by UC today, so I need to get my slovenly behind on the road soon. I’ll have more to say about the show in later pieces this week, along with some meandering about some of my favorite corals and people. Hopefully, we will all have a good week.

Until then- be safe, have fun…

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Sewer Urchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, some else gets it... I knew that I was not alone. I don't know when or even why I developed a hatred of plugs but I definatly have some plug rage going on. It's gotten so bad that I have started to glue a "pin" on to a peice of rubble and then put the frag on that.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine make me mad also. But gluing a new frag straight to my rock work and not being able to move it around is equally upsetting. I've been cutting the pin for now based on placement I'm looking for.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know....... .....,,..., There something pretty awesome and inherently satisfying about plucking a giant red planet colony out of a display and seeing that teeny Weeny tiny plug base lost and lodged deep within the base of the colony;)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, some else gets it... I knew that I was not alone. I don't know when or even why I developed a hatred of plugs but I definatly have some plug rage going on. It's gotten so bad that I have started to glue a "pin" on to a peice of rubble and then put the frag on that.

Nice idea...and more aesthetically pleasing..I mean, it's utterly unacceptable for us as coral farmers, but for the home hobbyist, heck yeah!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine make me mad also. But gluing a new frag straight to my rock work and not being able to move it around is equally upsetting. I've been cutting the pin for now based on placement I'm looking for.

Yup, been there, down that!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know....... .....,,..., There something pretty awesome and inherently satisfying about plucking a giant red planet colony out of a display and seeing that teeny Weeny tiny plug base lost and lodged deep within the base of the colony;)

This is true...

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man-Oh-Man did you ever hit a 'Hot Button' with me this time Scott........ I ABSOLUTELY HATE FRAG PLUGS!!! Can and will, absolutely ruin what could be a beautiful stunning Reeftank otherwise. Might as well put bright neon plastic plants or the air operated 'Treasure Chest' in there with them... lol Will always remove ASAP even at the risk of losing said Coral. I generally place cuttings of my Corals on 1x1 tumbled marble/limestone/travertine tiles which are inexpensive and can be trimmed with dikes or cutters making them resemble LR ruble. Though even the little tumbled squares don't stick out like a round frag plug will. I have seen 100's of Reeftanks with $1000's in Corals and really dislike being put in the position of someone asking me "Hey, what do think..... you like ?" when all I can see is the **** frag plugs littering up the Reef........................ I vote for 'Somewhat necessary EVIL'

Cheers, Todd

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate them too, until I realized my bone snippers clean them up nicely. Cut the plug off, chop off the edges of the plug that don't have coral, and glue it down. And that's only if I can't just pop the coral off. Score one for fresh cut and glued over encrusted.

Last edited:

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate them too, until I realized my bone snippers clean them up nicely. Cut the plug off, chop off the edges of the plug that don't have coral, and glue it down. And that's only if I can't just pop the coral off. Score one for fresh cut and glued over encrusted.

This, makes a nice flat base to glue to the rock.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly. People spend so much money trying to hide the equipment, aquascape their tank to mimic sea life's natural environment, lights with controllers mimic sun and moon cycles, for what? To waste all the natural look with corals attached to these white plugs! I hate them and remove them when able to.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are fine. Like others said I use cutters to trim the plug. Takes seconds and works great. Now what I hate are ORA plugs... HATE THEM. Lucky for me Unique Corals will cut them flat, when I found that out I ordered some straight away a couple weeks ago. I have tried to cut those with a dremel, it was a terrible event...

FYI they are looking great.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What happened to patience? For those of you detesting the look of a plug in your tank the solution is very simple. give the coral a little time to grow. honestly plugs are tiny compared to mature coral and disappear within months in a healthy tank! Reefkeeping is a patient mans game! the more you embrace that philosophy the the less you will be concerned about things like this;)

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind them. I like watching my frags grow and that moment when a frag makes it to the ground and starts entrusting the rock is very satisfying.

Of course I also use some of alt reef's plug holder rocks glued to my rocks, so maybe I am just a broken toy.

Between that and a masonry bit to make plug holes in my rock, I work a little different than the average.

Conversely I also have the huge grow out tiles scattered about my tank...

For those of you with plug disdain, have you tried the texture topped ones alt reef makes to disguise the short term discomfort you are suffering from the round disk?

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True, it is always a good feeling knowing you grew something out from a nub, but it's sad that most frags sold now are fresh cut or recently cut on white plugs and that "teeny weeny tiny" plug is way bigger than the actual frag itself. If I can get a new frag off the plug I will, otherwise I do have the patience to grow something out, but prefer to start with frags that look like they have had plenty of time to heal and start encrusting.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I love reading some of your write ups! You have a great vision on the hobbies past present and future and have a great way of expressing it… my buddy had one of the original Dustins Deepwater that was still on the ORA plug, we always pointed out to people that it's on its original plug...I'm surprised ORA still uses those nasty plugs... It's a good way to tell them apart from others but I have always hated those ORA ones! Hey and I got your PM on FB I'll give you a call as soon as I have a moment...

Last edited:

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to patience? For those of you detesting the look of a plug in your tank the solution is very simple. give the coral a little time to grow. honestly plugs are tiny compared to mature coral and disappear within months in a healthy tank! Reefkeeping is a patient mans game! the more you embrace that philosophy the the less you will be concerned about things like this;)

Amen. Even if you hide or replace your plugs, you've still got a goofy looking one inch frag glued to a rock. By the time it starts looking natural as a small colony the plug is long gone.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back